Last updated: 23/03/2008
Document Reference BC1/ 11
Three documents relating to a case and Counsel's opinion re dispute concerning John Cruso's Spout St. property and in particular a road to a shade .
(1) Dated 17 Nov. 1826. This document states " However, at the entrance to 1 ( the path) from the Street (St. Edward Street) there was always a common footway which is very much used and where there used to be a large white gate which gate at 1 was frequently shut and the footway passed over a stile close to the gable end of the house at 3 and so on through the yard to 4 and from then thro' several lands to a turnpike road ". The shade was at the bottom of the garden to house 3 and had windows from top to bottom which looked into the yard and the footway but had no door on the footway side of the building. The shade was untenanted at the time due to trade being so bad. House 3 overlaps the footway by 4ft. The question asked concerned the owner of the shade's interest in breaking out a door into the footway to make it more useful particularly if turned into a house. Counsel was asked to decide whether or not this could be done.
(2) appears to be a further copy of (1).
(3) is a letter from John Cruso to Benjamin Fanshaw Heywood requiring him to " rebuild and restore to its original state and height that part of the boundary or division wall between the yard or entry belonging to me and the premises belonging to you situate in Spout Street in Leek"...." and also remove the bricks, planks, stones, materials, rubbish and other matters and things..." He warned him not to make out any windows, doors etc. in the wall. This document was dated 18 March 1834.
Letter from John Cruso to Captain Powys, 14 May 1845, re misunderstanding with Mr Milward over price of premises intended for the site of the lock up in this town.
Letter from Captain Powys to John Cruso, 5 October1845, re misunderstanding with Mr Milward over premises intended for the site of the lock up in Leek. Asks whether or not there might be another site which could be used.
Copy declaration, September 1862, by John Cruso, Esq. as to the family of the late Mr Beath Searight, of Liverpool, merchant, and his wife Betty nee Ford. The couple were married at St. Nicholas's Church, Liverpool in February 1803 and they had 11 children. Document gives names, dates and places of birth , marriages and death. One of Beath Searight's daughters , Anne, was John Cruso's (2nd) wife. Three of the males children died unmarried and intestate. Cruso was Hugh Ford's executor and trustee of his estates near Stockwell Street, Market Street and Derby Street in Leek which he had lately ( 18 September 1862) sold to William Challinor, George Hammersley and Thomas Shaw.
Draft release, 12 October 1835, from Mrs Betty Searight of Liverpool, widow, & Mr Wm. Searight of Liverpool, Master Mariner, to the John Cruso the younger of Leek, Staffs. and Hugh Ford Bacon late of Coppenhall, Chester but now of Christ's College, Cambridge, executors of the will ( 12 February 1819) of Hugh Ford for the sum of £250 advanced to Mr William Searight's expectant share. Engrossed by Thomas Bullock on 14 September 1835.
Marriage settlement, dated 1 September 1831, between (1) Michael Daintry Cruso, of Leek and (2) Mary Roe of Leek, spinster, (3) John Cruso the younger of Leek, gent. The marriage was said to have been " intended shortly to take place" between (1) and (2). Mary Roe had £200 secured on a property at Hognaston, Derbyshire belonging to John Copestake of Painter's Lane, Derbyshire, Farmer, and also £700 in 3 1/2 % Bank Annuities. These were to be assigned to (3) and his assigns etc. in trust with profits to use of Mary Roe. The document is signed, sealed, stamped and witnessed. Witnesses were: William Badnall, Clerk Vicar of Wavertree; James Longton , surgeon of Southport; Thomas Brealey, Clerk to Mr Cruso. The document also carries a later amendment dated 22 January 1861 by Mary Cruso wife of Michael Daintry Cruso assigning £460 of the monies in the hands of John Cruso her Trustee to her husband. Elle Cruso and William Beaumont Badnall of Leek, solicitor, were witnesses on this occasion. A receipt signed by Michael Daintry Cruso completes the document.
Leek Association for the Prosecution of Offences in the Silk Trade -Draft agreement dated 14 August 1838. Cruso, Leek, Staffs. 7 pages.
Case concerning the stealing of silk by Jesse Bowcock of Leek, Staffs. Examination of Robert Hammersley of Bridge End, Leek, silk dyer and partner of William Hammersley, and Charles Ball dated 11 August 1838. Bowcock had been employed at the dyehouse by Hammersley and his (Hammersley's) grandfather since childhood. For the previous two years at least he had been employed as assistant bookkeeper and packer at a wage of 13 shillings a week. He had always been employed in the storeroom and warehouse at Bridge End. Document describes discovery of the stolen silk in a locked box in in Bowcock's lodgings. The parcel contained 1lb 2 1/4 oz. of coarse Bengal organzine silk which was thought to be part of a consignment of 43lbs 5oz sent to them by Messrs Smith & Thorpe of Manchester, silk manufacturers. When silk brought up from being dyed it appeared much lighter in weight than expected. The bundles were counted and found to tally with the number in Bowcock's book. It was therefore assumed that it had not gained as much weight in dying as expected. The document lists witnesses and what they will prove. They included Bowcock's uncles Cornelius and James Bowcock, Jonathon Plant who was sent for to pick the lock of the box of silk, and Bowcock's landlord and his wife - George and Betty Goodwin. Charles Ball was the Hammersley's Bookkeeper and he said the silk was rounder than any received from other customers. Ball identified the silk.
Copy of a draft petition to the House of Commons from Land Owners, Merchants Bankers and Manufacturers, Traders and other inhabitants of Leek, Staffordshire concerning a bill before the House of Commons promoting The Cheshire Junction Railway. The petitioners emphasised that Leek trade had prospered and depended upon its being sited on the direct mail coach route from Manchester to London. They suggested that a new railway should be built to take account of the need to ensure the continuing commercial success of the towns in the areas through which it passed. They proposed an alternative line passing thro' or near Leek and other large manufacturing towns for which a company had been formed and funds provided which would shorten the distance from London to Manchester to a greater extent than the Cheshire Junction line. Though undated the water mark suggests the document was drawn up in 1835.
Mr John Cruso's resignation as trustee of the Sandon Road - dated December 1822. The resignation is addressed to the Commissioners and Trustees of the road from Sandon in Staffordshire to Bullock Smithy in Cheshire and from Hilderstone to Draycott in the Moors and from Wetley Rocks to Tean , Staffordshire. It cites Acts passed in the 2nd and 23rd years of the reign of King George III. The reason for his resignation appears to have been to avoid conflict with the requirements of an Act of the 4th George IV which prevented persons associated with contracts for the building and repair of roads, gates, weighing engines, etc. or for the hire of carts or for supplying materials, from becoming or remaining trustees.
Press copy abstract of title of Mr Thomas Brealey to land on the Northwardly side of Park Road, Leek, Staffs. Challinor & Shaw. Includes a plan showing Lands associated with Foxlowe House, Market Place, Leek, Staffs. Plots of land for sale are numbered and those referred to in the title deed are coloured. Some owners of adjacent lands are named, e.g. Earl of Macclesfield, Mr Middleton and Thomas Brealey himself. Track of footpath from what is now the road into Brough Park is shown. Indenture of 2 April 1894 between the Leek & Moorland Building Society and Henry Beaumont Cruso of Coburg, Canada and Thomas Brealey of Leek, Land Agent & Surveyor. Document states that when he made his will on 4th November 1837, John Cruso the Elder, of Leek held the lands in question. In his will he devised his property (which he had purchased from Thomas Mills) to Herbert Minton his heirs and executors in trust for the benefit of his daughter Mary Ann Coupland and his unmarried daughters Catherine, Sarah, Selina and Hester Frances (all of whom were long since dead in 1894) terminating with their respective deaths. After the property became vested in his sons John Cruso the younger, Francis Cruso and Michael Daintry Cruso and then....... An extract from John Cruso, senior's will is attached.
Probate of the will of John Cruso of Leek, Staffs. dated 9 December 1867. Will of testator dated 19 July 1867. Testator died 20 October 1867. Value of personal etc. estates declared under £40,000. Executors : William Beaumont Badnall, Ann Cruso, widow, the Revd. Hugh Bacon and Thomas Brealey. Document carries the stamps of Manchester & Liverpool District Bank and various companies in which Cruso had shares. It was enrolled in the Manor of Newcastle under Lyme on 31 March 1877 by Edward Cooper, Deputy Steward.
Mr Frank Cruso's will 30 August 1850; Codicil to the will dated 2 September 1853; Second codicil dated 15 October 1853.
Schedule of debts due to the estate of the late Frank Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire. Document is in alphabetical order and gives addresses and amounts owed.
Residuary account of the executors of the late Frank Cruso of Leek, Staffs to the time of his decease 25 September 1854. It includes assets and legacies, funeral expences, bonds and securities, book and other debts, simple contract debts, Names and occupations of persons listed.
Copy of the settlement made on the marriage of Miss Jane Mile-Smith of Broomhouse, Whittington, Derbyshire with Mr Francis Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire. Dated 16 February 1833.
Draft release, dated 9 March 1842, of the Lynney Meadow or Mill Lane Lynney with the sludge pool open sewer at the bottom of Mill Street, Leek, Staffordshire by Mr Francis Cruso and Jane Milnes his wife to Richard Gaunt Engrossed 24 January 1842 Cruso. Cruso had agreed to sell the 5 acres 1 rood 0 perches of land to Gaunt for £1500. The landed is described as bounded on the East by land which was once part of the meadow but now forms a garden adjoining the silk factory and buildings of Nathan Davenport and on the West by the River Churnet and by the Turnpike Road from Leek to Macclesfield, on the North by the river and on the South by the same turnpike road. Previously in the occupation of Benjamin Challinor, afterwards of John Cruso late father of Francis Cruso, since of Richard Badnall the elder, and late of the said John Cruso together with buildings, etc. sludge pool, etc.
Plan of buildings on the east side of the road leading from Stockwell Street, Leek to Mr Cruso's stables. Undated but no earlier than the 1845 watermark. Lot numbers are indicated and names have been pencilled in. Adjacent land owner was Mrs Grosvenor. See also Bednall Collection 591.
Draft deed poll, dated 1824, of road through yard for all purposes from Mr John Lay of Leek, Silk Manufacturer, to Mr Cruso . Cruso & Coupland. Closes on North side Stockwell Street, Leek with right of road through. Mentions indentures of lease dated 3 Nov 1785 between (1) Mary widow of William Maddock late of Leek, tallow chandler, (2) William Maddock, Mary Maddock the younger Catherine Maddock and James Maddock the only children of Mary Maddock, widow, by said William Maddock her late husband, (3) Thomas Mills of Leek, gent. The lease concerned two closes laid together some time before as one croft on the North side of Stockwell Street, Leek and bounded on the East by Mrs Sarah Grosvenor's land, on the West by the Earl of Macclesfield's land, on the North by Thomas Sutton's land and on the South by the garden of Thomas Mills and that of Mrs Bidcott which was then occupied by her tenants (Thomas Bullock and John Walwyn), the garden of the said Mary Maddocks then in possession of Ralph Waller, a timber yard belonging to Mary Maddock and tenanted by William Ash, and the garden of Mary Maddock then tenanted by Thomas Hulme. Thomas Mills had a right of road or passage with or without horses, cattle, carts and all manner of carriages at all times into and from the said close through to the timber yard into and from Stockwell Street through the gate at the top. John Cruso of Leek had purchased the closes with other property from Thomas Mills. John Lay had purchased the timber yard and other related property formerly the inheritance of Mary Maddock and her children. Lay wanted to change the course of the road and passage through the timber yard to the Eastwardly side and asked John Cruso for his consent which was given on condition the right of road was extended to Broad Bridge thro' all Cruso's lands.
Letter from Captain Powys to John Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire, dated 10 April 1845. States that "an order of court has been made for the County to purchase the land at the sum you (Cruso) named near the Catholic Chapel and to build there the station house".
Minutes of the annual meeting of the Freeholders in reference to Leek Town Lands held on 24 June 1848. Resolved that a committee be formed to determine least expensive way of appointing new trustees to act with Mr Sleigh and to consider "whether any measure can be accepted to procure a more efficient fire engine and the means for keeping the engine in repair". The committee was also to report on the state of the Trust's property including the Cattle Market. The committee consisted of Mr Alsop, Joshua Brough, Mr Carr, Mr Challinor, Mr N.Davenport, Mr R. Hammersley and Mr Russell. Subsequently a special meeting was called on 1 December 1848 at which letters were read in which various insurers offered to subscribe towards the purchase of anew fire engine -the Salop Office and the Nottingham Office offered £20 a piece and the Manchester and Ipswich Offices £5 and £1 respectively. At this meeting Mr Badnall reported that Mr Cruso had been in contact with the owners of the Market Tolls (Mr Rooke & Mrs Grosvenor) who agreed to pay an annual sum equal to the interest for purchase of the Cattle Market (£100) without prejudice to their rights. The document also contains minutes of meetings on the 26 February 1849 at which (amongst others) the cost of the Cattle Market (£343-19s-3d) and Mr Alsop's drawing up of a detailed survey of the Town Lands, when part was lost, the rents, expenditure, etc. were mentioned; and minutes of a meeting on 14 March 1849 at which Mr Davenport's offer to purchase Westwood Heath from the Town at fair value and pay the cost of obtaining an Act of Parliament to do so, was read to the Committee. In pencil on the last page are the minutes of a meeting held at the Town Hall on 12 March 1849 at which Mr Alsop, Mr Hammersley, Mr Brough, Mr Cruso and Mr Challinor were present. It was resolved that "the part of the report now read be approved and that Mr Challinor draw the remainder of the report as to the appointment of trustees, fire engine, etc".
Instructions for answers of the deforciant John Cruso to a bill filed in Chancery by Broadhurst and others. Froggatt, Castle Street. For Mr Stanley. In 1780 John Cruso lived in London and was there in practice and partnership as a solicitor with William Froggatt of Lisle Street. The case concerned a man William Plaxton with real estate in Nottinghamshire, Cambridge and in King Street, Covent Garden, Middlesex who had married Catherine Bonell a widow with considerable real estate in Derbyshire. Most of Plaxtons estates were settled on his wife for life. Mr Plaxton was in urgent need of £2400 and approached Froggatt but could provide no security other than on the life of his wife. The defendant Story agreed to advance Plaxton £600 for purchase of an annuity, the defendant Alderson agreed to advance Plaxton £600 towards the purchase of the annuity, the defendant Walker agreed to advance a further £1200 for the same purposes. Plaxton had his attorney ..Mason of Southwark provide abstracts of titles for Cruso & Froggatt to be given as security to Story, Alderson & Walker. The defendant (Cruso) was appointed receiver but did not take possession of the estates or receive the rents and profits until default was made in the payment of the annuities and they became "greatly in arrear". Plaxton did not respond to repeated applications for payment so Cruso & Froggatt gave notice to the tenants forbidding them to pay rents to Plaxton and requiring payment to John Cruso. The tenants refused and Plaxton refused to sign any authority for them to do so. Thus in Easter 1782 Cruso served notices of ejectment on tenants and sued several writs of possession. He then took four writs into Derbyshire and persuaded several occupiers to attorn tenant to him. He has ever since been in receipt of the rents and profits. Cruso stated that he was a stranger to the indentures of 17 July 1781 and 24th June 1782 mentioned in the Bill but had heard that William Plaxton had granted the plaintiff Broadhurst some annuities and that these are now in arrear. Broadhurst and another plaintiff Upton had made many applications to him to pay the rents and he had said that he was ready and willing to do so as far as the residue of the rents and profits would extend. However, since he was only authorised to pay the such rents to Plaxton he couldn't pay Broadhurst and Upton without authority from Plaxton. Cruso received another letter from Plaxton dated 16 June 1783 in which he said he and Broadhurst had settled matters so that if Cruso sent him £60 the remainder in Cruso's hands were to be paid to Broadhurst on condition no proceedings were taken by Broadhurst.- Cruso didn't have £60 of residual rents and told Plaxton to settle with Broadhurst himself. Cruso & Froggatt later tried to get Plaxton to pay their bill and he argued and they subsequently laid it before M r Graham of Lincoln's Inn Fields to decide what should be paid.
Copy of a letter, dated 27 June 1783, from John Cruso of Cruso & Froggatt, No. 4 Devereux Court, Temple to William Plaxton at Mr Edmonsons, Tobacconist, Newington Causeway. The letter accompanied a statement of the last rents received together with a general account which showed a balance due to Plaxton of £82- 8s- 7.5d. On the other side was a statement of Froggatt & Cruso's bill which was "dated to you" 15 January 1782 on which there was an outstanding balance of £67-12s -1d due to F & C which was deducted from the residual rents. The amount played to Plaxton was therefore only £14 -16s-6.5d.
Draft release, dated 16 November 1841, of a moiety of a house in Stockwell Street and the Linney Meadow at the bottom of Mill Street, Leek, Staffordshire by Michael Daintry Cruso and his wife Mary to Francis Cruso. Engrossed 17 November 1841, Cruso, Leek. John Cruso, father of M.D Cruso and his brother Francis, had died recently and in his will dated 4th November 1837 he devised a house and lands which he had purchased from Thomas Mills and parts of another house in Stockwell Street adjoining the property he purchased from Thomas Mills and which he had purchased from Benjamin Lay which had previously been the estate of Michael Daintry and had been sold by him to Richard Gaunt and by him to Joseph Lay father of Benjamin Lay. This also included the "street, road or way" leading out of Stockwell Street to Cruso's stable yard and was intended to be kept open for a right of way for all purposes. Part of the road was purchased from Benjamin Lay and another part from Miss Phoebe Fowler. Herbert Minton was to hold the properties in trust. Minton was also appointed executor of old John Cruso's will. Cruso also bequeathed the Linney Meadow at the bottom of Mill Street together with the Sludge Hole, tithes etc associated with it to Minton upon trust for benefit of his sons Michael and Francis Cruso. John Cruso the elder published a codicil to his will on 25 August last in which he bequeathed all his personal estate not bequeathed to his son John Cruso and gave Minton the right to use "the small road through the wall dividing the premises first devised to him" and the stable, yard and lands and premises to his sons Francis and Michael Daintry Cruso. John Cruso the elder died on 20th August last past and his will was proven in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury on 13 November instant. Michael Daintry Cruso agreed to sell his brother Francis his share in the property mentioned for £1200. The premises conveyed were said to have been " late in the possession of Leigh, Joseph Laye, Edward Stafford, Sleigh, Hudson, Joseph Bradley, Thomas Millward, William Clulow, John Pointing and ..ear Trafford
Draft mortgage, dated 29 January 1827, by appointment and demise of the freehold and assignment of leasehold premises in Manchester to secure £2200 and interest. The indenture was between (1) David Ward of Macclesfield, Silk Manufacturer, (2) Henry Wardle of Macclesfield, Silk Manufacturer, (3) Thomas Ward of Macclesfield, Silk Manufacturer, (Eldest son and heir at law of Gervas Ward late of Hurdesfield, Cheshire, Silk Manufacturer, deceased and also Grandson and heir at law of Thomas Ward the elder of Macclesfield deceased. (4) John Ryle of Park House near Macclesfield (surviving trustee of Thomas Ward the Elder, (5)Ann Ward of Macclesfield, John Smith Daintry of Tavistock Square, St. Pancras, London, the said John Ryle and the said Thomas Ward as executrix and executors of Gervas Ward (6) John Cruso of Leek, one of the surviving trustees of the will of Michael Daintry heretofore of Leek, but afterwards of Byrons, Prestbury, Cheshire, silk merchant who was the surviving trustee of Daniel Nixon of Hurdesfield, deceased . The document mentions an indenture of demise dated 17 March 1711 between Jonathon Stockton, Chapman, and William Shrigley, Merchant, which granted the property to Shrigley for a term of 1000 years at a peppercorn rent. Another indenture of lease was made by Jonathon Stockton on 18th March 1711 with John Lightbourn, gentleman, for a second term of 1000 years at a peppercorn rent. Thomas Ward the younger of Manchester, Fustian Manufacturer acquired seisin on 19 August 1799. This later document was made between (1) Thomas Ward the younger and John Clulow of Macclesfield, gent, (2) Thomas Ward the elder of Macclesfield, Button Merchant and (3) Gervas Ward of Hurdesfield, Merchant. The property in question was two plots of land with houses on them in Manchester. It was described in the will which Thomas Ward the elder made on 12 October 1809 as "four messuages etc. situate at a place called Rideg Field Flags and Sots Hole in Manchester". One of the plots was said to be on the bounded on the North by Back King Street, on the East side by Ridge Field street, on the West side by a passage leading from Back Ridge Field and extending North 42 feet on the East 30 feet on the south 42 feet and on the West 30 feet and amounted to 141 square yards. Thomas Ward the elder's will was proven at Chester on 28 June 1810. Gervas Ward died 29 March 1816. Thomas Ward the younger died 16 April 1818 unmarried. Margaret Ward died 20 August 1821 unmarried and her half share in the property descended to Thomas Ward, Elizabeth wife of Joseph Otley, Ann Ward, James Ward and Daniel Ward the children of Gervas Ward.
A copy of the resolutions of a meeting of the Silk Trade held in the Town Hall, Leek, Staffordshire on 20 February 1824 which were sent up to Mr Littleton to act upon. The meeting agreed that the proposed reductions in duty on raw silk which were to take place from 5th July next would be highly injurious to the interests of the trade and bring distress upon the workers in the industry. They suggested that the introduction of the reductions either be staged or an allowance equal to the duty on the stock in hand raw and manufactured.
Copy (probably by John Cruso) to Mr Badnall of a vindication of Mr Littleton 13 March 1824. " At 2.0 o'clock to-day I heard that Leek was not to be one of the depots for the receipt of manufacturers' stock". The writer (Cruso) then went to see Littleton who had written strongly to Mr Robinson to request that a depot be established at Leek. The letter defends Littleton's actions and states "his exertions have been unremitting and most certainly unexampled by any member in the House of Commons". Unlikely to have obtained what has been obtained if he had not voted for the measure "they would not have listened to him. " "What has John Wrottesley done in the business? Nothing".
Letter, dated 10 June 1816, from Samuel Church of Brecon to John Cruso & Co. Solicitors of Leek, Staffordshire re Sutton v Williams. The letter states that defendant had remitted £27 - 3s, the amount of the goods then due but had handed him a further £11 13s 0d making a total of £38 16s "the utmost of your client's demand". The defendant claimed a discount of 11% on the sum "now paid but not due". The defendant had also paid Church £3 13s 6d -Cruso & Co's costs and Church had enclosed a Banker's Draft for the balance. On the back of the letter is a list headed "Sutton v Williams , Sam Church Esq, solicitor, Drt value 15s 4d; Balance of debts paid Messrs Suttons & Co. £11 13s 0d; Our costs £3 13s 6d; Postage and stamps. Total £15 6s 6d; deduct 2/16 retained by Mr Church £15 4s 0d Acknowledged 15 June 1816".
Sale catalogue for the sale of houses, a silk twisting shade, wheelwright's shop and land in and around Leek, Staffordshire by auction at the Red Lion Inn on 27 November 1837. Cruso & Redfern, solicitors, Leek. The principal house on Spout Street was formerly owned by Toft Chorley and had been two houses, one part of stone and the lower one of brick, parts of which were used as a silk warehouse. The silk shade was situated on Strangmans Walk and the Wheelwright's Shop on Spooner's Lane. The whole premises were included in a deed of settlement, dated 9 July 1794, which was made on the marriage of Toft Chorley and Miss Ann Strangman. Several people had a beneficial interest in it and details are given. The property was purchased by Maria and Harriet Van Tuyl, of Leek, spinsters, for £1380 and is signed by both of them. The document was also signed by John Cruso junior. On 17 December 1839 a note was added in which Harriet Van Tuyl assigned all her interest in the purchase contract to her sister who was to pay the full purchase money. Gaunt & Co. then occupied the shade at the top of Strangman's Walk.
Catalogue for the sale of Foxlowe in the Market Place, Leek, Staffordshire by auction at the Swan Hotel on 14 December 1893. Challinors & Shaw. Includes 3 plans- one of the ground floor of the house.
Letter, dated 15th May 1789, from William Roe to Cruso. Roe regretted not meeting Cruso but said that Mr Jones had " done everything needful, except furnishing me with your charges". He asked Cruso to say "what you think will be handsome to give Mr Sleigh for the survey he made of the Premises" and went on to say " It is unfortunate that the whole of the lands were not sold as the same expense would have done".
Hand written list dated 1835 -probably- of recipients of relief living within Leek and Lowe, Staffordshire. The names are listed in four columns each carrying the name of a leading member of Leek society (John Cruso, Mr Heathcote, Mr Gaunt, Mr Phillips, Mr Ward) who may have been the trustees of the charity. The names are as follows: Mill Street: Martha Kelly; Ellen Cope; Nanny Sherratt, widow; Ralph Hammersley; Joseph Bold; Ann Watson; Betty Fallows; Elizabeth Winterbottom; Joseph Pickford; Widow Rowley; Strangman's Walk: Hannah Knight; Brough's Yard, Spout Street: Samuel Maskery; Widow Salt; Hollow Lane: Sarah Trafford; John Brough; Dales Yard: Lydia Smith; Ann Vigars; West Street; Sarah Hammersley; Edward Walker; Thomas Gibson; Back o th' Street: Lydia Earls; Betty Lees; Bottom Derby Street: Sarah Peacock; Stockwell Street: William Shingler; Charlotte Nicols; Thomas Joinson; Mary Hyde; Scolding Bank: Rachel Lovat; Back o th' Church: Betty Lees; George Hallows; Mary Clulow; Thomas Braddock; Queen Street: Mary Barker; Jacob's Alley: Mary Ann Bell; Charles Ruston; Susannah Pyott; Clerks Bank: Thomas Steel; Sarah Miles; The Spotted Cow: Mary Abbot, widow; Near the Fountain, Leek Moor: James Houghton; John Woolley; Spout Street: Elizabeth Lovatt; Mary Simpson (bottom); Sarah Allcock (bottom); Union Street: Molly Whitehead; Cheshire Cheese Yard: Mary Tatton; Ley's Yard, Stockwell Street: Ann Weaver; Mary Mellor; Dery Street: Jane Rushton, widow; William Meakin; Joice Thacker; Kitty Tatton, widow; Sarah Simpson; Cock Yard, Derby Street: Sarah Bloore; Getliff's Yard: Mary Goldstraw; Fountain Street: Ann Durham, widow; James Maddock; Near The Talbot: Widow Sherratt; Leek Moor: Mary Hales, widow; Ann Marchington; Matthew Washington; James Wood; Compton: Solomon Hulme; Mary Coals, widow; Overtons Bank: Widow Rowley; Thomas Braddock; Mary Braddock; Anne Stonehewer; Thomas Hughes; Dinah Trafford; Church Lane: Hannah Fernyhough; Spooners Lane: Cornelius Ball; William Davis; Cornhill: Michael Holmes; Margaret Smith; Blacks Head Yard: Charles Spilsbury; Cherry Row: Widow Thompson; London Road: Bessy Chaddock; Hole: Thomas Beard; Nr Workhouse: Betty Woodward;
Two documents (1) is a draft rent receipt undated for monies received under a certain Indenture dated 5th August 1780 between (1) William Plaxton and his wife Catherine (2) John Story (3) William Frogatt and (4) John Cruso. On the back are several calculations of sums of money. (2)is another draft rent receipt dated June 1783 which this time relates to an indenture made on 10th August 1780 between (1) William Plaxton and his wife Catherine (2) Joseph walker (3) Maurice Swaby and (4) John Cruso.
Draft abstract of title, dated 11 January 1844, to a shop standing at the bottom of the Market Street in Leek, Staffordshire and to buildings yards and gardens adjoining and behind it formerly the inheritance of Gabriel Mayfield and many years afterwards of Thomas Pratt.(68 pages) . The first indenture cited is dated 10/11th September 1759. It was made between (1) Thomas Pratt of Leek, joiner (2) Mary Ridgway of Leek, spinster, daughter of John Ridgway late of Cheadle, Staffs, Clerk deceased by Elizabeth his wife who was also deceased, (3) Michael Daintry of Leek, Button Merchant, & William Condlyffe of Leek. The deed was in connection with the marriage of Thomas Pratt and Mary Ridgway and the property was part of Mary's "paternal estate" and the settlement was intended to provide her with an annuity of £10 should her husband predecease her. In 1759 the property was or had recently been occupied by Peter Hope, Samuel Hilditch, surgeon, and Samuel Walmsley. Gabriel Mayfield whose property it once had been was Mary Ridgway's Grandfather and he had bequeathed the property to Mary's mother Elizabeth. In a further indenture dated 9th October 1793 was drawn up between George Pratt the only surviving son of Thomas Pratt and Mary Ridgway, and Joseph Mellor to extinguish the "estate tail" in the usual way i.e. by levying a fine in the Court of Common Pleas and drawing up indentures of lease and release. The description of the property locates it as in the market place nearly opposite to the market cross. In 1793 it was occupied by James Lucas. The three adjoining dwellings stood at the back of this and they were occupied by Elizabeth Braddock, Hugh Hall and Catherine Goostry. The fine described the property as 4 messuages, one curtilage one garden common of pasture for all cattle and common of turbury. The indentures of L & R were drawn up on 1st November 1793 between (1) Richard Etches, a liquor merchant of leek, (2) Michael Daintry of Macclesfield, merchant and John Royle of Macclesfield, merchant (trustees of the will of John Daintry of Leek, and (4) John Cruso of Leek. Etches agreed to buy the property for £600 and he borrowed £400 of this sum from Daintry and Royle on the joint bond of Etches and Pratt. The document had a term of 500 years and in a separate document dated 4 and 5 days later, Etches conveyed the property to Pratt to hold upon trust -Etches to receive the rents while Pratt was responsible for any charges levied by Daintry & Ryle. Etches should have paid Pratt the £200 difference between the purchase price and the amount borrowed from Daintry & Ryle. However, he didn't have the money so he had given Pratt a promissory note. Pratt required further security and Etches made the note a charge on the property in Market Street. Etches became bankrupt about 20 July 1796 and 3 of the Commissioners - Thomas Sparrow of Newcastle under Lyme, John Cruso of Leek, and Isaac Cope the younger or Leek- sold the property to John Buxton of Leek, linen draper, to whom Etches owed £100. The sale (or assignment) was subject to the existing mortgages. Buxton put the property up for sale at the George Inn, Leek on 20 September 1797 and it was sold to Thomas Knight of Leek, linen draper, for £530. Out of this sum £448-2s-11d was needed to cover the Daintry & Ryle mortgage. George Pratt thus received £81-17s-1d "in full satisfaction of his "principal". The property was subsequently conveyed to Knight and to Bullock in trust. At the request of Knight & Bullock the 500 year "mortgage " was assigned by Daintry & Ryle to Challinor. 27/28 March 1797 the property was conveyed to Richard Bullock of Leek and in return Thomas Knight received £500. At Richard Bullock's request the residue of the 500 year term was assigned to Hugh Sleigh of Leek, merchant, and William Challinor. Richard Bullock died 22 Nov. 1799 leaving £500 each to his mother Ann and his sisters Mary and Prudence. he also bequeathed £1500 to his brother William Bullock and Samuel Tibbitts of Milk Street, London, merchants upon trust to invest and pay the interest on £500 of it to his sister Martha the wife of Thomas Knight for life and then equally amongst her children. They were to pay the interest on £1000 to his sister Olive the wife of Bogart van Tuyl for life and afterwards equally between her children. His will was proved in the PCC on 12th February 1800. The will of William Bullock was proved at the PCC on 10th February 1804. In 1806 Thomas Knight mortgaged the property to G. K. Killmister for £230. It was then subject to a mortgage to Eleanor and Ann Thornycroft of £500. A further description of the premises is given in 1806 which states " in Market Street nearly opposite the cross or Market Hall ". In his will dated 3 Nov 1807, (proved at Lichfield 26 October 1809) Thomas Knight bequeathed the property to his friends Benjamin Woolf and William Challinor in trust to sell. A sale took place at the Queens' Head at which Robert Emerson bought the property for £1925 at "the request and for the sole use and benefit of Sarah Sutton, Mary Sutton and Thomas Sutton of leek and George Pratt and not for himself". The Suttons and Pratt desired that the premises should be conveyed to Thomas Sutton of Sheffield in trust. The description this time states " nearly opposite the Market Hall which was built on the site of the Market Cross" . One property excluded from this was a small house in Custard Lane.
List of insurances in the Norwich Union Office 1821 onwards, Leek, Staffordshire. The document lists names, amount insured, duty, total premiums, date received and from whom and the amount received. It is broken down into fire and life insurance policies. John Cruso senior was insured against fire in the sum of £4200. The premium for this was £4-4s, the duty £6-6s making a total of £10-10s. The others insured included his son John Elijah Pointon, Thomas Sanders, John Goddard, William and Edward Challinor, James Wardle and Joseph Broster of Rainow. The range of values insured against fire was from £150 to £5000. The highest sum insured related to the policy covering Messrs Glendenning & Gaunt.Messrs Sutton & Co were also insured with the Norwich in the sum of £1200. The number of life insurance policies was relatively low Charles Coupland's life was insured for £999 in 1821 for a premium of £23-17s. The only other life insurance policies listed were on the lives of G. R. Killmister and the Revd. James Sykes.
Two letters. (1) Letter dated Leek 9th May 1797 from JC [John Cruso?] to an unknown lady apologising for his delay in replying which was due to " hurry of business". (2) Copy of a letter dated 13 October 1785 sent by John Cruso (JC) of Leek, Staffordshire, to a Mr Fletcher re " Mr Plaxton's business". It starts " I have received your extraordinary letter which I conceive give, my information to you as received from the Gentleman I am concerned for in Mr Plaxton's business, the Lye direct I can therefore only say that so long as am concerned in that business my attention shall as I trust it always has been attended to their interests & am sir yrs...."
Draft agreement dated 1st April 1850 between Frank Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire and John Squire of Leek, silk manufacturer. Cruso agreed to sell 2 plots of land in Far Crompton Field for £330. The plots covered an area of 3892 square yards and were bounded on the East by the premises of Messrs Wreford & Co, by parts of Far Crompton Field sold to Micah Woolliscroft, Josiah Astles and Joseph Hambleton on the South West and by land which once belonged to John Crompton on the North or North-West. A new street ran or was to run along the South side of the plots.
Draft indenture dated 1870 between (1) Michael Daintry Cruso and Henry Beaumont Cruso of Coburg, Canada (2) Joshua Brough, George Hammersley, Charles Heaton, physician, Richard Turnock, surgeon, and John Ward, silk manufacturer, all of Leek and Trustees of the Leek and Moorlands Permanent Benefit Building Society as mortgagees. It recites that John Cruso, by his will dated 19 July 1867 amongst other things devised his real estate to W. Beaumont Badnall. Hugh Ford Bacon, and Thomas Brealey in trust for the testator's wife during her life and afterwards upon trust for the benefit of Michael Daintry Cruso for his life and on his death to Henry Beaumont Cruso in fee simple. . It also mentions an annuity for life of £200 which John Cruso held under the wills of Ralph Knight dated 9 August 1752 and Henry Galley dated 20th February 1798 charged on lands at Warsop in Nottinghamshire, which were then in the possession of William Fitzherbert. These were also granted to the testator's trustees. John Cruso died 20 October 1867 and his will was proven on 9 December 1867 by Anne Cruso, widow, W.B.Badnall, H.F.Bacon and Thomas Brealey. The mortgagees had agreed to lend the two Crusos £6500 at 5 percent interest, on the security of the lands listed in the schedules to the document. The first schedule lists: the house on the North side of the Market Place, Leek, with gardens, pleasure grounds, servants cottages, coach houses. Land and fishpond heretofore held with the house, consisting of the field below the garden and churchyard, the Fish Pond, the field to the North of the fish pond, the field now used as a kitchen garden now in the occupation of the said Anne Cruso, Thomas Brealey, Henry Bowcock and others, totalling 8 acres in all. Big meadow lying to the West of the fish pond and the field on the North side of this -8.5 acres formerly in the occupation of Mr Plant but now of Henry Bowcock. House and shop (No. 3) in Stockwell Street, Leek occupied by Henry Bowcock. Offices (No.1) in Stockwell Street, Leek with appurtenances occupied respectively by Messrs Challinor & Co. solicitors and Messrs Brealey, land agents. 7 cottages situate behind the parish church of St. Edward's, Leek, occupied by Mary Wheeldon, James Tatton, Henry Parr; Caroline Gee, Christopher Doxey and Samuel Bowcock. The second schedule refers to Foker Moor Farm of 81 acres 1r 2p, House, shop garden etc. of 5acres 2r 25p at Pool End in Leekfrith in the occupation of Christopher James; Red Earth Farm of about 172 acres 1r 3p in Leekfrith in the occupation of John Lockett; Woods and plantations of about 17acres 2r 18p at or near Red Earth and Gun in Leekfrith; Land, messuages etc, near Strangmans Walks in Leek in the occupation of Nathan Goodfellow containing 12.5 acres. several more closes which were once part of the Ball Haye Estate totalling 11acres 2r 15p situated at or near Park Road in Leek and now in the occupation of Anne Cruso. Two houses in Stockwell Street (no.s 11 and 13) now occupied by William Warrington and Miss Eaton together with the ...and houses in the occupations of Joseph Parker, William Hodkiss, Maria Keates and Catherine O' Conner known as Cavendish Square
Copy conveyance of 4 pieces of land in Leek, Staffordshire from John Cruso of Leek, to Messrs Henry and Charles Goodman Graves of Gutter Lane, London, silk merchants, dated 9th July 1853. Challinor, Badnall & Challinor, Leek. The lands in question were on the west side of and fronting Wellington Street in Leek. Together the four plots occupied 240 feet of the frontage. The land had once been part of Nixhill. The property was John Cruso's for life by virtue of an indenture of release dated 27 March 1838 based on a lease for a year made between (1) Charles Jennings (2) Revd. Richard Ward, (3) John Cruso, (4) Michael Daintry Cruso, and an indenture of 12 August 1844 endorsed on the previous release and made between (1), (3) and (4) which granted the lands to John Cruso for life for the use of Michael Daintry Cruso during his life in trust for John Cruso his heirs and assigns forever.
Seventeen items relating to Henry Beaumont Cruso: (1) Letter dated 21 January 1878 from Joseph Challinor to Thomas Shaw re a further loan of £1000 from the Building Society to H.B. Cruso. This states Michael Daintry Cruso was born on 23 Oct. 1801.
(2) Letter dated 8 November 1878 from Thomas Shaw to Joseph Challinor enclosing a resolution of the building society committee concerning H. B. Cruso's application for a loan of £1000. The Committee resolved that no further advance should be applied for.
(3) Joseph Cruso's notes concerning the late John Cruso's real estate. It includes an annuity of £200 under Gally-Knight wills.
(4) Letter dated 6 June 1888 from Joseph Challinor to Henry Beaumont Cruso in Coburg, Canada concerning Cruso mortgages. H.B.Cruso and his father had jointly covenanted personally for mortgages totalling £7500. H.B.Cruso had alone covenanted for a loan of £500. The annual value of the property (the big house was not being let) "continues much as it did in 1878 -£926 :10s excepting that the rentals of the Foker & Red Earth Farms should be put down as at about £260 instead of £335 : 16s,
(5) Letter dated 8 June 1888 from Joseph Challinor to Henry Beaumont Cruso in Coburg, Canada informing him that they had not been able to get the Building Society's consent to a further advance. Challinor said he would send a Bankers Draft on receiving a deed of security which he was sending with the letter for execution. He went on to say that " The mortgage debt is increasing due to capitalisation of interest and compound interest" and hinted that there might be a possibility of selling some of the land near Strangmans Walks for building purposes at a fresh price.
(6) Notes dated 30 July 1888 by Joseph Challinor re Henry B. Cruso's affairs. It concerns Mr Boswell's views on the difficulties of getting Michael Cruso to agree to what was proposed. He was said to be "an obstinate man" who was "very old and ailing" and Boswell thought "his life was doubtful even beyond the present winter". Mr Cruso's present property was said to be £6000 in investments and he -Michael Cruso- was said to live very quietly in a small house with his daughter and two servants and without a horse. Mr Cruso was said to live within his income and be free of debt and thus was unlikely to agree to do any more than sign a renewal of his covenants. Boswell also saw Mr Badnall and told him what had taken place-Mr. Badnall expressed himself very strongly that the rate of interest should have been 4% and that 4.5% compound interest was excessive. The Directors stated that considering they paid 4.5% to investing shareholders and 4% to preference shareholders and that the money could not be obtained elsewhere for less than 5% they were not justified in taking less than 4.5%.
(7) Minutes dated August to 24th 1888 by Joseph Challinor re H.B.Cruso's affairs and in particular meetings he had had with Mr Ward, Mr Shaw and Mr Badnall. Mr Badnall urged (23rd August) that Strangmans Walks be put up for sale and a plan prepared. He said he wanted to see Mrs Cruso to ascertain if it were quite her will to give up to Harry Cruso and his father and their mortgagees the proceeds of the sale, her income from the land being secured. 24th August. Saw Mr Badnall. He had seen Mrs Cruso this morning and she was quite willing to give up the proceeds of the sale as suggested. She left the decision as to whether or not to sell to Mr Harry Cruso and his father.
(8) Letter dated 29 November 1888 from Henry Beaumont Cruso in Coburg, Canada to Joseph Challinor in Leek, Staffordshire. The letter was received on 14 December 1888. He sates his Father is very unwilling to give the further security. H. B.Cruso said he left the decision with regard to Strangmans Walk lands entirely in Challinor's hands. He said his Father was better than he had been for some time "Aunt Sarah some 3 years ago ailed and lost a good deal of flesh but got better and was a great deal more active for her loss of weight and I hope it will be so with my father".
(9) Draft request and authority by A. H.Boswell to the Leek & Moorlands Building Society to pay duties and costs out of the proceeds of sale of real estates mortgaged by Henry Beaumont Cruso. Challinor & Shaw, Leek, Staffordshire, 20 March 1894. One of the notes mentions that Henry B. Cruso's wife's name was Emma.
(10) Notes re Michael Cruso deceased as to implied reversion of legacy to H. B. Cruso. 1893. It gives relevant notes from his will dated 18 November 1884 and three codicils. The last codicil dated 22 December 1888 revoked a clause in his will concerning the discharge of his mortgage debts and bequeathed his share of his late brother's estates to his three daughters - Mary Buck, Ella Boswell and Selina Vivian. In his will Michael Daintry Cruso had directed his executors to pay not exceeding $8000 of monies to which he might be entitled from his brother John's estate to his son " Henry for the benefit of himself and his wife".
11. Memorandum dated 28 January 1878 from Joseph Challinor to Mr Shaw asking him to state whether or not the Building Society would be prepared to make a further advance of £1000to Mr H.B.Cruso. Appended is a note states that after Mrs Cruso's death the residual Cruso estate of about £33000 would, subject to the payment of legacies of about £6000, belong to Michael Cruso absolutely.
12. Copy Letter of Credit 7822, dated 21 March 1879, from the Manager of the Bank of Montreal, Lombard St., London to the Manager of the Bank's Toronto branch concerning £222 7s sterling.
13. Draft letter to Challinor and Co from Brealey dated 28 April 1888 concerning mortgages negotiated by Challinor & Co. on behalf of Mr Michael Daintry Cruso and his son , with the Leek & Moorlands Building Society in August1870, Dec. 1875 and January 1879 for securing £8000 at 5% compound interest. The letter points out that the accumulated sum of capital and interest amounted to between £17000 and £18000 and requested that either the principal and interest should be paid off or reduced and current interest paid punctually or further security given.
14. Letter from Joseph Challinor to A. R. Boswell dated 20 November 1888 concerning a deed of covenant and further security to the Building Society by Mrs Cruso and Harry Cruso.
15. Letter from Challinor? to Boswell? dated 18 December 1888 concerning a meeting with Directors of the Building Society at which the Director consented to the additional security applying only to the accruing interest. The Directors did not agree to discontinue compounding the interest. Challinor's view was that the Cruso's should accept the Society's terms.
16. Copy of a telegram sent to Mr Boswell in Toronto,18 December 1888. It states " Directors consent to accruing interest only being secured deed to stand in other respects. Challinor".
(17) Copy telegram from Challinor, Leek, Staffordshire to Boswell dated 17 December 1888. Headed "Toronto" the telegram states "Deed accords with society's second resolution. Quarterly interest was material condition of reduction.
Agreement between Mr John Cruso, Mrs May and Charles Bower May for the sale of the Whittington Estate in mortgage to Mr Cruso and the proceeds to be used to pay off the £5000 in mortgage. Any surplus to be paid to Mrs May. If there is any deficiency, then Mr Cruso to be paid out of any surplus arising from the Sneyd property. All the stock, furniture and effects at Sneyd to be immediately sold. Monies arising from the sale to be used to pay arrears of rent owing to the Earl of Macclesfield, then to pay off the debts of the late Mr May. The document bears the actual signatures of the parties concerned.
John Cruso's bill for work done for the representatives of Ellen Browne, deceased, dated 1846 and signed by W.B.Badnall for Mr Cruso. Mrs Browne was illegitimate and her mother was a Mrs Oliver.
Four letters and a note re the transaction between Suttons and others and Smith 1830-1833.
(1)Letter dated 18 February 1830 from John Cruso, junior, to Killmister and Challinor, solicitors, Leek, Staffordshire. States "the drift" of their letter meant Mr Smith intended, by any means he could, to avoid completion of his purchase.
(2) Letter dated 24 February 1830 from John Cruso, junior, to Killmister and Challinor, solicitors, Leek, Staffordshire. States Miss Sutton and the Vicar have conveyed no more than belonged to them with the Queens Head. It goes on to ask what Mr Smith intends to do.
(3) Letter dated 21 January 1833 from Geo. Keates for John Cruso, junior, to Killmister and Challinor, solicitors, Leek, Staffordshire. It concerns a covenant for the production of deeds and mentions that they "as we cannot comply with your wishes this purchase must remain unsettled until Mr Wardle's is settled but we shall require Mr Smith to pay interest at 5%".
(4) A note to Challinor from John Cruso junior, Leek, Staffordshire dated 9 February 1830 Cruso stated that he thought on looking at the Hulme's conveyance, the exception must be in Smith's conveyance since "the Room is positively by Miss Sutton and The Vicar conveyed".
(5) Letter to Killmister and Challinor, Leek, Staffordshire from John Cruso, junior, of Leek, dated 9 January 1830 referring to John Hulme's claim
Draft letter written by Frank Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire, solicitor, to P.H.Fisher of Stroud, Gloucestershire dated 6th April 1847. The letter concerns Findlers and Cruso asks Fisher to loan him the case laid before Mr Moore and his opinion on it "respecting this matter in the year 1838". The current concern was a proposed conveyance to Mr Challinor's clients who intended enforcing legal proceedings should the matter not be settled that week.
Recognition by Matthew Weston, defendant in an action brought by John Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire in which Weston confesses the action and that Cruso had obtained damages of £968 - 9s -10d plus costs. No judgement was to be entered for execution until 5th April 1815 in default of payment of £484 -4s -11d the debt in the action with interest. If in default of payment the plaintiff entered up judgment he was to levy the sum and costs. Weston signed the document on 24 January 1815. Overleaf is an account which shows that the rate of interest was 5%. Cruso received a large portion of the sum by 30th May but the debt was not cleared until 20 May 1817. A set of draft accounts are appended which show that some of the money owed related to rents of Rudyard Gate from 1798 to 1815 and for the rent of the Sheep house from 1814 to 1815. Also Letter dated 10 May 1817 from Robert Bell, Grays Inn to Cruso and Son, Leek incorporating a bill of costs in the case of Cruso versus Weston. Other cases including Badnall versus Samuel also mentioned
Four items, dated 1835 to 1852, dealing with land on Canal Street formerly Spooners Lane, Leek, Staffordshire that belonged to the Miss Van Tuyl.
(1) With plan of site , undated concerns the making of a "Petty with a seat and ash hole" by Miss Van Tuyl.
(2) Bill from John Cruso to Miss Van Tuyl dated 23 November 1844 for work carried out with respect to the house on Spout Street she purchased from "parties entitled thereto under the marriage settlement of Toft Chorley and Miss Strangman.
(3) Account dated 25 March 1838 of monies retained by Cruso for "parties in India entitled to the Strangman property".
(4) Statutory declaration by Robert Heath of Leek, Staffordshire, yeoman, concerning the Van Tuyl fields on Canal street formerly Spooners Lane, Leek, dated 25 March 1852.. Heath was 75 years of age and recounted the happenings of 1828 when he was employed by Charles Sheldon of Leek, twister, to build a brick house "now in two houses" in Canal Street now occupied by James McCormack and Ralph Smith on Charles Sheldon's property. Document is signed and dated.
Three letters relating to Miss Sutton's estates.
(1) Dated 7 July 1829 from John Cruso junior of Leek to Messrs Killmister & Challinor of Leek, solicitors. It concerns Sutton & Etches Title. It mentions a mortgage to Miss Thorneycroft in 1783 and purchase by Mr Knight in 1800.
(2) Dated 25 March 1830 from John Cruso junior of Leek to Messrs Killmister & Challinor of Leek, solicitors. Concerns Smith's proposed purchase and states that Miss Sutton and the Vicar conveyed nothing to Hulme than what belonged to them.
(3) Dated 24 March 1831 from Charles Coupland of Leek, solicitor, to Messrs Killmister & Challinor of Leek, solicitors. It concerns Sutton's Sales and in particular three conveyances - Sutton to Wardle, Sutton to Smith and Sutton to Cruso. It also contains a copy of a letter from Coupland to John Cruso dated 23 March 1831.
Letter dated 26 January 1838 from J. L. Thomas at Macclesfield, to John Cruso, solicitor, at Leek. States he would not offer any obstacle to the arrangement of Mr John Barlow's affairs. He also points out that only a small portion of the money for which he appears as a creditor belonged to him the remainder belonged to Mr Evan Beach of Macclesfield who would have to make his own arrangement.
Letter dated 19 October 1847 from Thomas Grimsditch of Macclesfield to Frank Cruso, solicitor of Leek. Acknowledges receipt of a conveyance from and executed by Mr Cruso. Requests an account of costs and states that he has an appointment for completion in Manchester for which he needed to know the amount. A note on the cover states " Norton Trustees to Pickford".
Press copy of an abstract of the title of Henry Beaumont Cruso to farms and lands in Leekfrith, Leek, Staffordshire, dated 1901 Challinor & Shaw, solicitors, Leek. The property included 81 acres 1 rood 2 perches comprised of Foker Moor Farm, Pool House or Whites lands in Leekfrith formerly held by Thomas White, then of his son Abel White and since of Joseph Goodwin but lately of Joseph Chappells. The property also included Red Earth Farm, the Overhouse and the Lower House and Woodend. Fields, their location and tenants are listed. The house in the Market Place, Leek etc. is also detailed.