Bednall Collection Part 2 (BC2) No.s 176 to 200   

The Bednall Archive 

Last updated 04/01/2006


BC2/ 176
Places: Leek, Staffordshire; Middleton, Lancashire;
Description: Indenture of submission of partnership differences to arbitration. Thomas Wardle of Leek, Staffordshire, silk dyer with George Wardle of Leekbrook, Staffordshire, silk dyer. Dated 11th December 1888.  Vellum, signed and stamped.
Names: Wardle; Haywood; Nicholson; Robinson; Bishton;

 

BC2/ 177
Places:
Leek, Burslem, Staffordshire;
Description: Documents relating to the Traveller's Rest Inn at Leekbrook, Staffordshire.

(1)  Counterpart lease of the Traveller's Rest and premises at Leekbrook for a term of 19 years. Sir Thomas Wardle and George Wardle to Parkers Burslem Brewery Ltd, Burslem, Staffordshire dated 14th June 1902.  Signed, sealed and stamped it includes two plans- one of the site the other of the building.

(2) Counterpart lease of the Traveller's Rest and premises at Leekbrook for a term of 7 years.  Messrs Thomas  and George Wardle of Leek and Leekbrook, Staffordshire  to Parkers Burslem Brewery Ltd,  dated 14th June 1902.  Signed, sealed and stamped.
Names: Wardle; Lucas; Haig; Akenhead; Dolson;

 

BC2/ 178
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Lease of land at Leekbrook, Staffordshire by Sir Thomas Wardle of Leek, Staffordshire and George Wardle of Leekbrook, Staffordshire, to Messrs Joshua Wardle and Sons, silk dyers of Leekbrook. Bishton, Leek, 20th December 1902.  Sir Thomas Wardle, Gilbert Charles Wardle, silk dyer, and Horace Townley Wardle of Leek, silk dyer and copartners trading as Joshua Wardle and Sons.
Names: Wardle; Bishton;

 

BC2/ 179
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Counterpart lease of the Leekbrook Dyeworks and premises by Thomas Wardle of Leek, Staffordshire, silk dyer and George Wardle of Leekbrook, Staffordshire, gent, to Thomas Wardle, Gilbert Charles Wardle, silk dyer and Horace Townley Wardle, silk dyer copartners as silk dyers at Leekbrook under the name  Joshua Wardle & Sons. Document is dated 8th May 1896.  The lease was for 14 years at a rent of 225:18:0. It is signed, sealed and stamped. Schedules detail the premises and list all the fixtures and equipment. A plan is included.
Names: Wardle; Bishton;

 

BC2/ 180
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Deed defining the terms of a deed of submission to arbitration dated 11th December 1888. Thomas Wardle, silk dyer, of Leek, Staffordshire, with George Wardle, silk dyer,  of Leekbrook, Staffordshire, dated 10th May 1889- Bishton, Leek. Signed by Thomas Wardle, sealed & stamped. The purpose of this document was to define the scope of the principal indenture more fully.
Names: Wardle; Bishton; Robinson; Heywood; Nicholson; Allen;

 

BC2/ 181
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Lease of six houses at Leekbrook, Staffordshire by Henry Grace of Leek, builder, to Messrs Joshua Wardle & Sons, silk dyers of Leekbrook, Staffordshire.  The lease is dated 29 September 1908 and was for 4 years commencing 29 September 1908 and expiring on 29 September 1912. The annual rent was 62 : 8 : 0. Signed by Grace, stamped and sealed.
Names: Wardle; Grace; Bishton;

 

BC2/ 182
Places:
Leek, Uttoxeter, Woolstanton, Biddulph, Newcastle under Lyme, Bishton, Staffordshire; Costock, Nottinghamshire; Manchester; Doncaster, Yorkshire; Norfolk;
Field Names: Church Croft;
Description: Abstract of the title of George Nathaniel Best to a garden on Clerks Bank, Leek, Staffordshire. Cruso, Leek dated 1843.  For Mr Colquhoun the purchaser. Text starts with abstract from the will of George Pratt of Leek, Staffordshire, silk manufacturer, dated 22 March 1810. On the second page there is a short family tree showing the descendants of William Hulme of Leek, grocer, dated 1750.  The property occupied 508 square yards and was bounded on the south by a barn and garden belonging to Thomas Phillips (later Mr Griffin), on the east by a yard or garden belonging to Richard Badnall, on the north by a lane leading to the church and on the west by another lane leading into the first.  The earliest deed cited is an indenture of 24-25 May 1696 between George and John Titterton if St. Clement Dean, Middlesex, silkversmiths, John Ford of Leek, ironmonger on the one hand and Job Hulme of Leek, silk weaver on the other.  It also contains a list of beneficiaries under Mrs Brentnall's will.
Names: Best; Pratt; Etches; Gaunt; Cruso; Mellor; Phillips; Griffin; Badnall; Brentnall; Walmsley; Ball; Washington; Pilsbury; Vickers; Brunt; Stevenson; Brunt; Watts; Fowler; Heinzelman; Flint; Sutton; Titterton; Wild; Hulme; Hacker; Booth; Bloore; Sleigh; Sly; Perks; Ball; Ridgway; Malkin; Dale; Lancelot; Flowers; Boar; Braddock; Lees; Sutton; Ford; Sherratt; Walmsley; Fenton; Perfect; Van Tuyl; Paynter; Wardle; Marshall; Sparrow; Moreton; Killmister; Rawlinson; Joinson; Faulkner; Condlyffe;

 

BC2/ 183
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Abstract of the title of Richard Badnall to twisting shades, houses and a piece of garden on Clerks Bank, Leek, Staffordshire. Freshfield & Son. Lot 33. Although undated the probable date is 1827 when this property was sold by the Bank of England. The recital starts on 31st January 1751 with the indenture between Sarah Myott of Leek, widow of Richard Myott late of Leek, silk twister, deceased, Joseph Myott, Richard Myott's eldest son and heir and Dorothy his wife on the one hand and Thomas Walthall of Leek, gent, and Peter Walthall of the same place, baker.

The property is described as; All that messuage, dwelling house or tenement with appurtenances  which had lately been then newly erected , built,  converted and made into two messuages or dwelling houses situate or standing and being in Leek aforesaid then late in the several holdings of possessions of the said Sarah Myott & William Mayfield their under tenants or assigns. And also all that new erected building then used as a shade or workhouse situate on the north side of the same messuages or dwelling houses and then occupied by the said Joseph Myott.  A later indenture (1787) also mentions " And also all those five newly erected messuages then lately erected and built by the said Joseph Myott lying behind the aforementioned messauages or dwelling houses then in the several holdings of Joseph Smith, Joseph Sheldon, Joseph Large, Robert Harrison and Charles Bowers". In 1800 another piece of land on Clerk's Bank was purchased from Barnett Young. It is described as land lying at the back of Clerks Bank, Leek then in the holding of Barnet Young and bounded on the north by the Methodist  Meeting House on the east by a building belonging to Fynney & Badnall then or formerly called Clark's shed used as a workshop, on the west by the school house croft belonging to the said Barnet Young containing 20 perches or thereabouts.
Names: Badnall; Myott; Walthall; Colquhoun; Mayfield; Walthall; Wright; Bolton; Bell; Billingham;  Bowers; Harrison; Large; Sheldon; Smith; Sutton; Davenport; Brasssington; Stubbs; Cruso; Mellor; Knight; Fynney; Lucus; Malkin; Haywood; Trafford; Lees; Pilsbury; Young; Killmister; Cope; Walmsley; Laugharn; Sleigh;

 

BC2/ 184
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire; London;
Description: Abstract of a mortgage from Richard Badnall of Highfield, Leek, Staffordshire to the Governor & Company of the Bank of England and of a bargain and sale of the real estates of Richard Badnall a bankrupt to the assignees of his estate and effects. Lot 33. Freshfield & Son. For Mr Colquhoun. Undated but almost certainly 1827. This starts with indentures of lease and release between (1) Richard Badnall the elder of Highfield, Leek, Staffordshire, (2) Richard Badnall the younger of Leek, silk manufacturer and dyer, & Henry Cruso of Leek silk manufacturer and dyer and (3) the Governor & Company of the Bank of England, dated 29th & 30th November 1826.  The Bank lent Richard Badnall the elder 10,000 on 23rd March 1826 and on the 1st April following they lent a further 10,000 to Richard Badnall the younger, Francis Gybbon Spilsbury and Henry Cruso, then in business as silk manufacturers and dyers as the firm "Badnall, Spilsbury & Cruso." The property mortgaged included: a shade or building used as a workshop for twisting silk occupied by Badnall & Co., a small cottage adjoining the shade occupied by Joseph Clulow, a house and garden adjoining the shade then or late occupied by George Spilsbury and a piece of garden  then or late occupied by James Ridout, all of which were on Clerks Bank, Leek, Staffordshire. In this deed a piece of land called the Scarroway and the barns and buildings upon it, was excepted.  Also mortgaged was Highfield House.

The indenture of bargain and sale was dated 13th September 1827 and was between William Villiers Surtees, Robert Grant and Charles Bathurst, the major part of the Commissioners named and authorized on and by a Commission of Bankruptcy awarded , issued and then in prosecution against Richard Badnall the elder of the one part, Joshua Walter of Red Bull Wharf, Thames Street, London and Robert William Buttermere of Copthall Court, London, broker of the second part. The Commission of Bankruptcy was made against Richard Badnall of Leek, Staffordshire, Banker, Silk manufacturer, Dealer & Chapman awarded to Archibald Elijah Impey, Montague Farrer Ainslie, William Villiers Surtees, Robert Grant and Charles Bathurst at Westminster on 7th June 1827.  The recital states that Badnall became indebted to John Smith Daintry of Trump Street, London, silk manufacturer and John Cruso of Leek, gentleman, executors of the will of Michael Daintry in the sum of 730.
Names: Badnall; Colquhoun; Cruso; Freshfield; Spilsbury; Ridout; Clulow; Sale; Smith; Walter; Impey; Ainslie; Farrar; Buttermere; Grant; Sutees; Daintry;

 

BC2/ 185
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Field Names: Schoolhouse Croft;
Description: Lease  for possession between (1) Barnet Young of Leek, Staffordshire, gentleman, and (2)Thomas Lea of Leek, breeches maker, and George Killmister of Leek, gentleman, dated 13 September 1810.  The deed concerns a lease for possession of the Schoolhouse Croft at the back of Clerks Bank, Leek and is signed and sealed and  stamped. The land is described as two plots laid out side by side, one 26 yards long by  20 yards wide and the other 12 yards long and 7 yards wide. They are described as being at the back of the school and it was planned to erect a chapel or place or worship "the building of which has already begun. The rent was one peppercorn. The witnesses were William Washington and Mary Ravensdale, servant to Mr Young.
Names: Young; Killmister; Lea; Washington; Ravensdale;

 

BC2/ 186
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Lease for a year between (1) Richard Myott of Leek, Staffordshire, grocer, and trustee in the will of Joseph Myott of Leek, silk throwster, deceased and (2) Joseph Badnall of Leek, dyer, and Thomas Sutton of the same place, grocer, dated 4th December 1788. For 5 shillings in his hand, Richard Myott  bargained and sold to the other two parties, several houses yards and gardens standing in Clerks Bank, Leek and in the tenures of William Myott, Joseph Smith, Joseph Sheldon, Joseph Large, Joseph Davenport, Charles Brown and Thomas Brassington.  This sale also included " that shade, edifice or building for twisting of silk with a small dwelling thereto adjoining now in the tenure of" Richard Myott and John Stubbs. Again the rent was one peppercorn. The document was signed and sealed by Myott in the presence of Henry Jones and M..worth.
Names: Myott; Badnall; Brown; Brassington; Smith; Shelton; Large; Davenport;

 

BC2/ 187
Places:
Leek, Harpurs Gate, Uttoxeter,  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire; Manchester;
Description: Lease for possession between (1) William Hulme late of Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, fellmonger, but now of Harpurs Gate, Staffordshire, gentleman, (Hulme was the eldest and was then the only surviving son and heir of Charles Hulme, mariner, deceased who was himself the eldest surviving son and heir of William Hulme formerly of Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, grocer, deceased. The last named William Hulme was the younger son and devisee in fee of the remainder under the will of William Hulme heretofor of Leek, grocer, deceased) and (2) Ann Pratt of Leek, widow, Edward Mellor Sikes of Manchester, manufacturer of fustians and calico and John Sleigh of Leek, manufacturer of silk goods (Trustees and executors of the will of George Pratt of Leek, silk manufacturer, deceased.  The document is dated 28th September 1813. The property concerned was land at one time used as a garden, that lay  at the back of Clerks Bank, Leek and contained about  508 square yards. The land was bounded on the south by a barn and garden belonging to Thomas Phillips the younger, on the west  by a yard or garden belonging to Richard Badnall, on the north by a lane leading towards the church and on the east by another lane leading into the first named lane. It had formerly been occupied by Thomas Washington and afterwards by Mrs Mary Washington his widow,  late of George Pratt and now of his widow Mrs Ann Pratt. The rent was apeppercorn. The document is signed and sealed  by William Hulme, witnessed by Henry Jones and William Challinor and stamped.
Names: Hulme; Pratt; Badnall; Challinor; Jones; Sleigh; Sikes; Washington;

 

BC2/ 188
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Probate will of Joshua Nicholson of Leek, Staffordshire, merchant, who died on 24th August 1885. Probate was granted by the Principal Registry on 28th October 1885 to Joshua Oldfield Nicholson, and Arthur Nicholson, sons of the deceased, and Frederick Eastwood and Thomas Shaw.  The value of his estate was 48013-11s-9d.
Names: Nicholson; Eastwood; Shaw;

 

BC2/ 189
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire; Middlesex; Prestbury, Cheshire;
Field Names: Spout Greaves;
Description: Counterpart deed and release of land near Compton, Leek, between (1)John Smith Daintry of Foden Bank, Prestbury, Cheshire and Tavistock  Square, Middlesex (2) John Cruso the elder, of Leek, (3)  John Phillips of the same place, baker and (4) George Ridgway Killmister, dated 20 May 1823. The plot of land had been sold for building and lay near Compton abutting on one side a new street leading out of spooners Lane. A schedule of related deeds dating from 30th August 1738 is included.
Names: Daintry; Phillips; Killmister; Cruso; Lawton; Seeley; Brittain; Pardoe; Goolden; Powell; Simpson; Audain; Willett; Crewe; Ryle; Bosley;

 

BC2/ 190
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Schedule of deeds and writings covenanted to be produced by Daniel Colquhoun to Messrs Davenport and Pickford. The list of deeds starts with one dated 31st January 1761 between (1) Sarah Myott widow of Richard Myott, twister, deceased and Joseph Myott, twister, eldest son and heir of Richard Myott & Dorothy his wife, and (2) Thomas Walthall and (3) Peter Walthall.  The last entry on the list is dated 23rd September 1800 and is a deed of Feoffment between Barnet Young and Messrs Fynney & Badnall.

The document is undated but has a watermark date of 1821.
Names: Badnall; Fynney; Myott; Davenport; Pickford; Walthall; Colquhoun; Sutton; Cruso; Beswick; Killmister; Challinor;

 

BC2/ 191
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire; Macclesfield, Cheshire;
Description: Lease for possession between (1) Francis Beswick of Macclesfield, gentleman, John Fynney of Leek, Staffordshire, button merchant and Richard Badnall of Leek, button merchant to George Ridgway Killmister of the same place, dated 31st October 1808. Signed sealed and witnessed by Sinckler Porter, Anne Beswick and John Hodkinson.  The lease relates to the sale of " all that shade, edifice or building for the twisting of silk situate, standing and being on Clarks Bank in Leek" and several houses on Clarks Bank, Leek which were purchased by the said John Fynney and Richard Badnall from Richard Myott formerly of Leek but afterwards of Macclesfield, mohair twister, deceased, and Barnet Young and occupied  by Dorothy Myott, Samuel Lucas, Charles Bowers, Joseph Sheldon, Joseph Malkin and Daniel Lees but then lately of Ann Lees, Joseph Heywood, John Davenport, William Trafford, Hannah Large, Samuel Pilsbury, Margaret Brassington and Barnett Young but now of George Pilsbury, James Cope, Hannah Large, Joseph Pilsbury, James Walmsley, Ann Lees, William Sleigh, Badnall & Laugharn. Other property included a former public house in Derby Street, Leek, called the Buffalo's or Bull's Head, which had once belonged to James Davenport, baker, and "is now used as a baker's shop" will stables and other adjoining buildings  late occupied by George Taylor, baker, deceased, but now  of John Phillips and John Wright, and also all that building or edifice or building in the yard at the back of the said messuage the upper part of which is used as a shade or workshop and the lower part as stables and a butcher's shop late property of James Davenport  formerly in the possession of John Sutton, Richard Etches and William Lowndes but now in the several possessions of Messrs Sutton and Pratt, James Charouir, Charles Daintry and George Massey.  Also a plot of land  formerly belonged to James Davenport, adjoining on the north end to the latter building and at the south end to a small rill called the Spout and on the west side to the Blackamoor's Head Lane and on the east side to lands formerly belonging to William Stonehewer Hall, esquire, and now in the possession of   John Fynney together with the shade of building on the said piece of land. The latter shade was also in the holding of John Fynney.  These properties included pews on the south side of the church.  The recital continues with "all  other messuages contained in an indentures of lease and release dated 24th and 25th March 1797  between (1) Eleanor and Ann Thornicroft, spinsters, and (2) Joseph Mellor, button merchant, (3) William Challinor, gent, and George Taylor, baker (4) Hugh Sleigh, ribbon merchant late of Leek since deceased, (5) John Fynney and Richard Badnall, (6) Francis Beswick, (7) William Badnall, silk dyer, (8) Charles Daintry, merchant, and in certain other indentures of lease and release dated 7th and 8th  September 1797 made between (1) Joseph Badnall of Leek, silk dyer,  and Thomas Sutton of Endon, gentleman, (2) Richard Myott, (3) John Fynney & Richard Badnall, (4) John Cruso, (5) Francis Beswick  and (6) William Badnall, silk dyer,  and in a certain indenture of livery and seizin dated 23 September 1800 between (1) Barnet Young and (2) John Fynney and Richard Badnall
Names: Badnall; Laugharn; Fynney; Young; Killmister; Pilsbury; Beswick; Myott; Lees; Large; Brassington; Hodkinson; Porter; Malkin; Cope; Bowers; Lucas; Trafford; Sleigh; Heywood; Walmsley; Sheldon; Sutton; Taylor; Phillips; Wright; Etches; Davenport; Lowndes; Hall; Pratt; Daintry; Massey; Cruso; Challinor; Thornicroft;

 

BC2/ 192
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire; Macclesfield, Cheshire;
Description: Lease for a year by Joseph Badnall of Leek, Staffordshire, dyer, Thomas Sutton late of the same place but now of Endon, Staffordshire, and Richard Myott late also of Leek but now of Macclesfield, Cheshire, mohair twister, (only son and devisee in fee named in the will of Joseph Myott of Leek, mohair twister deceased  who was the eldest son and heir of and devisee in fee of the will of Richard Myott heretofore of Leek, deceased and   (2)  John Cruso of Leek. The document, which is dated 7th  September 1797, is signed (by Joseph Badnall, Thomas Sutton and Richard Myott) sealed and stamped. The witnesses were  Henry Jones, Charles Daintry and Thomas Sutton junior. The property in question consisted of houses on Clerls Bank, Leek, heretofore occupied by  Dorothy Myott, Mr Samuel Lucas, Charles Bowers, Joseph Sheldon, Joseph Large, Joseph Malkin and James Lees but now or late in the occupation of Ann Lees, Joseph Heywood, John Davenport, William Trafford, Hannah Large, Samuel Pilsbury,  Margaret Brassington as under tenants to John Fynney  and Richard Badnall.  And also a shade for twisting  silk together with a small house adjoining heretofor in the holding of Richard Myott party here to and John Stubbs but now of John Fynney and Richard Badnall and Ann Lees.
Names: Badnall; Cruso; Myott; Fynney; Pilsbury;  Lees; Large; Brassington; Malkin; Bowers; Lucas; Trafford; Heywood; Sheldon; Sutton; Davenport; Daintry; Massey; Cruso; Jones;

 

BC2/ 193
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Lease for a year by the Governor & Company of the Bank of England to Daniel Colquhoun of Leek, Staffordshire, silk manufacturer of a shade for twisting silk on Clerks Bank in Leek which was of late in the holding of Messrs Badnall & Co. but "now of Messrs Morley & Colquhoun" and also a small cottage adjoining late in the holding of Joseph Clulow and a garden.  There was also another house adjoining the shade which was said to be used as a workshop with land or a garden in front, formerly occupied by George Spilsbury but now of Messrs Morley & Colquhoun. And also another plot at "the back of Clerks Bank" bounded on the north by the Methodist Meeting House,  on the east by the shade, on the south by land used as a garden (and belonging to Mr Samuel Young) and on the west by the School House and yard, containing about 20 perches and late in the holding of James Ridout  but now of Hugh Wardle and Ann Williams. "Sealed by Order of the Court of Directors of the Bank of England 3rd January 1828". Document is dated 2nd January 1828 and carried a note "Examined W. Freshfield" and "No.10".
Names: Colquhoun; Morley; Badnall; Lees; Spilsbury; Ridout; Young; Wardle; Williams; Clulow; Freshfield;

 

BC2/ 194
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Copy covenant  for repayment of 1556 and interest at 5% per annum with certain accretions between (1) Horace Townley Wardle of Leekbrook, Staffordshire, silk dyer, and (2) George Wardle of Leekbrook, gentleman, dated 9th May 1896. H. T. Wardle had requested that George Wardle lend him 1556 which he was then to place to the credit of the firm of Joshua Wardle & Sons silk dyers of Leekbrook, as capital upon the occasion of his becoming partner under the terms of an award made by Harvey Heywood, Arthur Nicholson and John Robinson on 6th June 1889. The sum was one equal fourth part of the capital now employed.
Names: Wardle; Nicholson; Heywood; Robinson;

 

BC2/ 195
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Copy articles of partnership Thomas Wardle of Leek, Staffordshire, silk dyer,and Gilbert Charles Wardle his son, also of Leek, silk dyer. Challinor & Shaw, Leek, Staffordshire 23rd June 1890. The document states that "whereas Thomas Wardle carries on the business of a silk dyer at Leek Brook near Leek on dyeworks and premises belonging to the said Thomas Wardle and his brother George Wardle as tenants in common and it has been arranged between him and the said Thomas Wardle and his son that the latter should be admitted into the Partnership" .  The agreement was for 19 years from 1st January 1890. The agreement was subject to the provisions of an award made on 6th June 1889 by Harvey Heywood, Arthur Nicholson and John Robinson relating to the admission of Horace Wardle as a partner on the 1st of January 1895. The partnership was to trade under the title of " Joshua Wardle & Sons". The working capital was 6375.  Thomas Wardle had the right to lease  a moiety of the said George Wardle in the said dyeworks for 110 in trust for the partnership. Thomas Wardle also had the right to use and operate a chemical manufactury in parts of the dyeworks "as are now used for the manufacture of chemicals" and further parts when needed.  He paid rent to the works for this factory space and was entitled to sell chemicals that he had manufactured to the partnership on reasonable terms. Thomas Wardle retained the management of the department purchasing dyes, consulting with G.C.Wardle.  G. C. Wardle could take an allowance (including "Managers allowance" of 360 per annum.
Names: Wardle; Challinor; Shaw; Nicholson; Robinson; Heywood;

 

BC2/ 196
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Letter from Sir Thomas Wardle of Leek, Staffordshire to his brother George dated 4th September 1907. He states that "in consequence of the closing of the Hammersley's works it is necessary for us to enlarge Leekbrook and this we have agreed to do.   I daresay you wil,l remember that when you and I granted the lease to Joshua Wardle & Sons, we both signed a permission to cover the Traveller's Rest Croft.  I have consulted Messrs Heaton & Sons about it, and they say that the tenants have power to build but that the Freehold must belong, as it  does now, to you and me.  I have told Horace to see you about it, and I hope you do not see any objection.  He will explain everything fully and will show you the plans and if you like I should be glad to come down and discuss the matter with you on the spot at any time that would be convenient to you. Yours affectionately, Thomas Wardle" Pencilled in footnotes states " 1 Who holds this permission? I want to see it.

2. Why should Heaton & Son be consulted before I am spoken to?

3. Who are we!
Names: Wardle; Heaton; Hammersley;

 

BC2/ 197
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire;
Description: Letter from Challinors & Shaw, solicitors, Leek, Staffordshire to J.H.Bishton, solicitor, of Leek, dated 23rd December 1905. It states " We enclose notice in duplicate  by Messrs Joshua Wardle & Sons of their intention to pay off the Capital belonging to your client Mr George Wardle and will thank you to return one copy with an acceptance of service on behalf of Mr George Wardle endorsed."
Names: Wardle; Challinor; Shaw; Bishton;

 

BC2/ 198
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire; Bayfield, Fakenham, Norfolk;
Description: Release of a plot of land in Leek, Staffordshire with a covenant for the production of deeds. Between George Nathaniel Best  and Joanna Elizabeth, his wife,  of Bayfield Hall, Norfolk, (2) Sarah Badnall of Leek, widow,  and (3) Daniel Colquhoun, silk manufacturer, of Leek, Staffordshire, dated 29th September 1843. The land in question is a garden plot bounded on the south by a barn and garden belonging to Nathan Davenport, on the west by  buildings belonging to Daniel Colquhoun, on the north by a lane leading to the church and on the east by another lane leading into the first. It had previously been occupied by George Pratt of Leek and Ann Pratt, but since of Charles Smith and lately by Mr Lightfoot.
Names: Best; Colquhoun; Badnall, Flint; Pratt; Cruso; Brentnall; Van Tuyl; Sutton; Fenton; Condlyffe; Wild; Wardle; Gaunt; Etches; Mellor; Watt; Joinson; Faulkner; Davenport; Lightfoot; Kent; Cates;

 

BC2/ 199
Places:
Leek, Staffordshire
Description: Release of shade and houses on Clerk's Bank, Leek, Staffordshire "to  uses to bar Dower with a Covenant from Matthew Gaunt for the production of the deed",   from the Governor & Company of the Bank of England to Daniel Colquhoun of Leek, Staffordshire -dated 9th January 1828. Vellum, signed, witnessed, sealed and stamped, the deed carries the note "Examined W. Freshfield." "Sealed by Order of the Court of Directors of the Bank of England 10th January 1828".
Names: Colquhoun; Cruso; Gaunt; Best; Heathcote; Fynney; Badnall; Walthall; Beswick; Myott;

 

BC2/ 200
Places: Leek, Staffordshire; Macclesfield, Cheshire;
Description: Release from Richard Myott and his trustees of a messuage and buildings on Clerks Bank in Leek, Staffordshire to Messrs Fynney and Badnall and their trustees in equal moieties to a mortgage of 600 Mrs Myott's life estate in a house and annuity of 3 for her. Dated 8th September 1797. Marked No.2. The deed is between (1) Joseph Badnall of Leek, silk dyer,Thomas Sutton late of the same place but now of Endon, Staffordshire, and (2) Richard Myott late also of Leek but now of Macclesfield, Cheshire, mohair twister, (only son and devisee in fee named in the will of Joseph Myott of Leek, mohair twister deceased  who was the eldest son and heir of and devisee in fee of the will of Richard Myott heretofore of Leek, deceased and   (3)  John Fynney and Richard Badnall both of Leek, merchants and copartners, (4) John Cruso of Leek, (5)  Francis Beswick  of Macclesfield, and (6) William Badnall of Leek, silk dyer.  The document, which is dated 7th  September 1797
Names: Myott; Badnall; Walthall; Sutton; Fynney; Knight; Mellor; Large; Trafford; Davenport; Pilsbury; Heywood; Lucas; Bowers; Sheldon; Brassington; Malkin; Lees;