Bednall Collection Pt 1: No.s 1576 to 1600

The Bednall Archive 

Last updated 04/05/2004


REFERENCE: 1576  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Tatton; Creighton; Raynor; Copeland; Williams; Breton; Worthington; Robinson; Owen; Wrottesley; Nicholson;  
DESCRIPTION: Procession arrangements on the occasion of the inauguration of the Nicholson Institute, Leek, Thursday 16th October 1884.  

REFERENCE: 1577  
PLACES: Macclesfield, Cheshire;  
PERSONS: Arnold; Hulme; Kirk; Whiston; Hammond; Schill; Jackson; May;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft proclamation to surrender copy property in London Road, Sutton within the Manor and Forest of Macclesfield, Cheshire by Thomas Henry Hulme of Holly Bank, London Road, Sutton, silk dyer, to James Arnold of Wood Street Mill, Macclesfield, silk manufacturer, Barclay & Co, Macclesfield, Dated 2 September 1919. The property is described as situated near London Road, Sutton and bounded by land belonging to William Hulme to the south, on the east partly by the River Bollin and partly by land belonging to William Hulme, on the north east by an imaginary line running along the centre of the River Bollin and on the west partly by land belonging to William Hulme and partly by land belonging to William Jackson. Its area was 2446 square yards and on it stood the Hulme dyehouse and other buildings. It also included "the area of the intended new streets which have never been adopted. There was a right to water from a reservoir which reached the site through pipes passing under adjoining lands of William Hulme. There was a further piece of copyhold land near London Road and bounded on the north east by the River Bollin on the east by land which formerly had belonged to Charles W. Schill but then belonged to Harold Walter Whiston who also owned adjacent land to the south, south east and south west. The other boundary to the west was formed by the North Staffordshire Railway. This piece was formerly known as Byrons Wood and subsequently as the Far Wheat Field and contained 4 acres two roods and eighteen perches: it was occupied by Thomas Hammond. Seizin was granted to James Arnold at the Hallimote held by the Deputy Steward of the Manor on 2 September 1919.  

REFERENCE: 1578  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Goodwin; Bradwell; Tatton; Goldstraw; Wardle; Hammersley; Smallwood; Gould; Brown; Swindells; Gaddum; Worthington; Pridmore; Clayton; Beckett; Jaricot; Sheldon; Fenton; Nixon; Blacklock; Cheetham; Plant; Allen; Armitt; Chadwick; Creighton; Duggan; Mountfort; Sutcliffe; Fogg; Clarkson; Stonier; Perks; Hampton Matthews; Wetton; Beswick; Stanton; Barlow; Bettany; Carter; Fraser; Rayner; Kittrick; Henderson; Coates; Gough; Crompton; Morrison; Rider; Challinor; Critchlow; Whittles; Smith; Johnson; Simmister; Mellor; Burton; Gwynne; Brassington; Wright; Hall; Thorp; Speyer; Brough; Nicholson; Hallawell; Pawson; Brailsford; Holroid; Dittermann; Frowein;  Gough; Mark; Brunt; Bradbury; Flower; Cartwright; Walwyn; Andrew; Heath; Ashworth; Kirk; Grace; Rogers; Booth; Holmann; Mitchell; Woodhead; Giddings; Dacre; Carding; Rowson; Pattinson; Joynson;  
DESCRIPTION: Schedule of the debts owing by Stephen Goodwin deceased included in an affidavit on proving the his will. September 1888. It lists deeds to property held as security for 9220 -5s-4d by Parrs Banking Co, Leek. The Bank also held warrants for 24 bales of Japan raw silk and 10 bales of China raw silk as security for a further 2277- 9s -7d. It gives the people from whom he purchased goods and those who did dyeing work for his firm.  

REFERENCE: 1579  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Edge; Trafford; Brough; Hammersley; Heaton; Hand; Plant; Walker; Bentley;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft further charges on a silk factory, silk mill and other property on Ball Haye Green, Leek, Staffordshire by Mr. Joseph Edge of Leek, silk manufacturer, to the Leek & Moorlands Building Society, Challinor & Co, Leek dated 1880.  The property is described as "a close of land called the Big Paddock and a plantation adjoining some years ago laid out in building up,  situated at Ball Haye Green, Leek, bounded on the south by land and premises formerly  belonging  Thomas Beardmore, to the north by land etc. belonging formerly to Peter Walker, to the east by Nelson Street and to the west by the Ball Haye Estate. The area was 1792 square yards.  The property standing on this land included a silk factory or silk shade with a steam engine and boiler house etc. which shade was formerly occupied by Messrs Hammersley and Bentley and afterwards by Thomas Trafford and others.  There was also a slaughter house formerly occupied by Thomas Plant.  The listing of silk mill plant includes " mill gear, millwrights work beams wells shafts dampers valves air pumps condensers steam pipes cisterns twisting machines braiding machines winding engines throwing mills doubling frames cleaning frames spooling machines looms mills lathes benches pumps heating apparatus gas meter and apparatus counters, etc.  

REFERENCE: 1580  
PLACES: Leek, Chorlton, Staffordshire; Nantwich, Cheshire;  
PERSONS: Cruso; Trubshaw; Vaughan; Trafford; Broughton; Haworth; Edlestone; Elwood; Pattison; Preston; Potter;  
DESCRIPTION: Thirteen letters dating between 1817 and 1821.  (1) Letter dated 4th July 1817 from John Trubshaw of Stockton Brook to John Cruso junior at Leek, Staffordshire simply concerns forthcoming meeting with Cruso and trying to get a Mr Vaughan to meet him.  (2)Letter dated 19th September 1817 from John Trubshaw of Stockton Brook to John Cruso junior at Leek, Staffordshire, Trubshaw states he had "to-day named Mr Haworth's business to Mr Potter who seems inclined to accommodate Mr. Haworth without troubling the Committee about it." Trubshaw states intention to visit Haworth;  (3) Letter dated 18th September 1817 from John Trubshaw of Stockton Brook to John Cruso junior at Leek, Staffordshire. Expresses his sorrow that Cruso should "have so much trouble about Mr Haworth's business but I really cannot do more than I have respecting it. I made a sketch of the reservoir with all the particulars of what Mr H. wanted done and sent it to Stone immediately after we were at Mr Haworth's but I believe Mr Potter had not an opportunity of laying it before the Committee. Mr Vaughan named it to me the last time I saw him and wished Mr Potter to look at what Mr Haworth wants to have done.  Should he not be left Leek to night dare say he will appoint a time to meet you on the spot, if on the contrary I shall see him tomorrow at Harecastle Tunnel.."  (4)Letter dated 16th June 1818 from J. Haworth of Cliff Park  to John Cruso junior at Leek, Staffordshire. Haworth states his view that it would be best if a stranger bid for him "at the sale tomorrow as perhaps Messrs J.L. & Co. would know that you were purchasing for me and probably make a pointed opposition."  He continues "You did not name the exchange deed, which is a serious matter as I am now obliged to proceed with my bridge."  (5)Letter dated 29th September 1819 from Messrs Edlestone & Elwood of Nantwich to John Haworth of Cliff Park near Leek, Staffordshire. Haworth was one of Mr Charles Broughton's trustees and Edleston had sent him draft to look at and asks Haworth to obtain other draft deeds,  to which Haworth was a party, back from Mr. Pattison and Mr. Trafford. (6) Letter dated 4th October 1819 from John Cruso at Leek to Messrs Edlestone & Elwood of Nantwich re Haworth & Broughton. Letter concerns the deeds and the lack of information for Mr Haworth in them. Cruso states " the Mr H as one of the Trustees of Mr Chas. Broughton in whose hands  15000 is placed as trust money is called upon by Mr C. Broughton to send to his brother Mr Henry Broughton the said 15000" Suggest Mr Henry Broughton should be made fully acquainted with the trusts under which he is called upon to act. They wanted information about the trust as well as about Henry Broughton's title to the estate offered as a security. (7) Letter dated 1st November 1819 from Messrs Edlestone & Elwood of Nantwich to Messrs Crusos & Coupland, Leek, Staffordshire. They state they had forwarded the draft release from Messrs Haworth & Garnett to the late Sir Thomas Broughton's Trustees and also of a Deed of Covenant from Mr H Broughton & Others to Messrs Haworth & Garnett for levying a fine of Mr Broughton's estates in Chorlton. They had also sent a copy of a codicil to Sir Thomas Broughton's will of 13th May 1812. (8) Letter dated 6th December 1819 from Mr. Edlestone who was staying at the George Inn, Leek to Messrs Crusos & Coupland, Leek, Staffordshire asking if he could see them about the mortgage for Mr Henry Broughton to Mr Haworth and his co-trustee. (9)Letter dated 24th December 1819 from Messrs Edlestone & Elwood of Nantwich to Messrs Crusos & Coupland, Leek, Staffordshire. It accompanied a draft Bond of Indemnity from Henry Broughton to Haworth & Garnett the Trustees under the marriage settlement of Mr Charles Broughton -Henry Broughton's brother.  (10) Letter dated 12 April 1821 from Messrs Edlestone & Elwood of Nantwich to Messrs Crusos & Coupland, Leek, Staffordshire. Mentions Mr Cruso's "continued absence from house" and the delay that it had caused with regard to completion I.e. execution of deeds by Mr Haworth. (11) Letter dated 16th April1821 from Messrs Edlestone & Elwood of Nantwich to Messrs Crusos & Coupland, Leek, Staffordshire.  It accompanied deeds sent for Mr Haworth's signature and a Bond of Indemnity from Henry Broughton and his brother Charles.  Garnett and Edlestone had arranged to be in Leek on Monday evening of the 23rd April to call on Mr Haworth in order to complete the business.  

REFERENCE: 1581  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Macclesfield, Sutton, Cheshire;  
PERSONS: Browne; Mills; Cruso; Jones; Brundreth; Allen; Smallwood; Daintry;  
DESCRIPTION: Letter dated 21 September 1804 from David Browne of Macclesfield to Messrs Mills, Cruso & Jones at Leek, Staffordshire. The letter accompanied an extract of surrender by Randle Smallwood to  Trustees of Brundreth's tenement in Sutton near Macclesfield. Also included were two surrenders to Thomas Allen that were passed 26 March 1798 and 31 March 1798. Mr Allen re-surrendered to Messrs Daintry & Co.  Browne also states that he had searched (the Manor of Macclesfield and Forest Court Rolls) from 1728 (the time of surrender by Barton & others to Smallwood to the present time and states "all the surrenders I find relating to Brundreths are those mentioned in your letter and the one of 6th Geo 2nd of which the enclosed is an extract".  

REFERENCE: 1582  
PLACES: Leek, Stanley, Bagnall,  Norton in the Moors, Burslem, Staffordshire; Stroud, Gloucestershire;  
PERSONS: Findlow; Turner; Fisher; Gaunt; Fowler; Cruso; Rhead; Challinor; Godwin; Davenport; Bennett; Steel; Cooper; Salt; Cooper; Chadwick; Cope; Mollatt;  
DESCRIPTION: Bundle of documents relating to the Findlow's property and dated about 1846.  (1) Draft conveyance of unnamed persons and Mary Turner of Norton in the Moors, Staffordshire, widow, to Matthew Gaunt of Highfield House, Leek, barrister at Law and John Gaunt of Leek, banker. William Challinor of Leek was also a party to this document which concerned property mortgaged in 1836 by William Findler of Stanley, Leek, Staffs, flint grinder and Thomas Findler of Stanley Marsh, flint grinder to Daniel Turner the younger of Norton in the Moors, civil engineer and Peter Fisher of Burslem, gent for 400. The property was in Stanley Marsh in the Parish of Stoke on Trent[?] and consisted of about 6 acres and 2 roods and had formerly been an allotment made on 28th August 1815 by Thomas Rowley of Overton, Staffordshire  the Commissioner for the enclosure of lands in the Manor of Horton, to Margaret Godwin, Ann Davenport, Stephen Godwin and Benjamin Eaton Godwin in respect of their freehold tithe free estates. It was situated in Stanley and bounded on the north by the Forge Road and by allotments 525 and 326 on the enclosure plan. To the south it was adjacent to encroachment 554, to the south east by allotment 525 and the Leek & Cauldon Canal.  William Findler had erected a steam powered flint grinding mill on this land and the mortgage included " the flint and colour pans, the steam engine of 20 horse power for drawing the same with all its apparatus and appurtenances. It also included a house built on site by the Findlows as well as 3 houses standing on three quarter acre of land which were formerly occupied by Isaac Findlow, Ann Bennett and John Rhead. There were also two other houses in Stanley, one formerly occupied by William Findlow himself and the other originally occupied by William Steel but then by Hannah Findlow.  (2) Draft case for the opinion of a barrister re the Findlow's property, Francis Cruso of Leek, solicitor, undated. It recites the loans the Findlow's obtained on the security of the Stanley property. This gives some genealogical information about the fishers and others. The family wished to sell the estate to clear their debts but Mr. Fisher did not know whether or not he had a power of sale.  Barrister's opinion was sought on behalf of both parties as to whether or not William Fisher the heir at law of Peter Fisher could execute the trust for sale vested in Peter Fisher and if so whether he would be justified in conveying the estate to Messrs Fowler & Gaunt, bankers,  at the request of Mrs. Turner who intended to take out letters of administration re de bonis non to Daniel Turner junior.  (3) case for the opinion of Mr. Knight Bruce of Lincolns Inn re the Findlow's property This is more detailed than the former and gives a good deal of background including a Fiat in Bankruptcy against William and Thomas Findlow which had been discontinued. An opinion by Knight Bruce's reply dated 7 July 1838 is included. (4) Draft conveyance by William Fisher  to John and Matthew Gaunt of property at Stanley in Staffordshire, Frank Cruso dated 1846 and a fair copy produced on 15th September 1846. Contains genealogical information. (5) Several pages from a draft conveyance of the Findlow property from Mr. Fisher and Mary Turner to John and Matthew Gaunt. (6) Copy assignment of Legacies under the will of the late William Findler of Stanley, Leek, Staffordshire, farmer who died on 9 April 1844.  Indenture by Isaac Findler of Burslem, flint grinder, John Findler of Etruria, labourer, James Chadwick of Stanley Moss, blacksmith and his wife Alice, John Cope of Norton Green, iron Founder and his wife Mary, Hannah Bennett formerly Hannah Findler of Stanley, widow, and Martha Read of Stanley, widow   to  Sarah Fowler of Highfield House, Leek, John Gaunt of Leek and Matthew Gaunt of Highfield House, bankers and partners, 10 September 1845. 

REFERENCE: 1583  
PLACES: Farley, Cheadle, Staffordshire; Derby;  
PERSONS: Bill; Hodgson; Jowett;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft tenancy agreement between Charles Fitzherbert Bill, Esq., of Farley Hall  and Harold Jowett, Esq. Of Community House, Keddlestone Road, Derby And Miss Molly Hodgson of Community House, Keddlestone Road, Derby, spinster, relating to Farley Hall, Farley near Oakmoor, Staffordshire. Blagg, Son & Masefield, Cheadle, Staffordshire, 1939. The tenancy was to run from 24th May 1939 and the rent was 52 a year. The Hall is described as "mansion house and gardens known as Farley Hall".  The Landlord reserved two front bedrooms on the first floor and the boudoir and the library on the ground floor for himself. There was a three months notice period.  

REFERENCE: 1584  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Putney, London;  
PERSONS: Badnall; Challinor; Stephenson; Wilson;  
DESCRIPTION: Four items relating amongst other things to Lancelot Wykeham Badnall of Putney. (1) Letter from L. W. Badnall of 49 Dryburgh Road, Putney, London S.W. to Challinors & Shaw, of Leek, solicitors, dated 7th July 1904. Relates to  Mr. & Mrs. Maurice Fitzgerald's marriage settlement trusts. Concerns request to Bank of England re dividends on stock. (2) Letter from L. W. Badnall of 49 Dryburgh Road, Putney, London S.W. to Challinors & Shaw, of Leek, solicitors, dated 14th July 1904. Badnall states that he was returning." all the papers and declaration duly made by me before the Lord Mayors son who is a JP. " (3) Letter from L. W. Badnall of 49 Dryburgh Road, Putney, London S.W. to Challinors & Shaw, of Leek, solicitors, dated 4th June 1904. It concerns a deed of appointment relative to Mr. & Mrs. Maurice Fitzgerald's marriage settlement trusts. (4) List (dated 23 August 1904) of investments belonging to the Trust established by Mr. & Mrs. Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson's settlement of marriage dated 1 August 1884. The trustees were: William Henry Wilson Fitzgerald of Chacombe, Banbury, Lancelot Wykeham Badnall of 49 Dryburgh Road, Putney, London and Frank Lathom Stephenson of 31 Lombard Street, London. Total amount approx. 13500.  

REFERENCE: 1585  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Middlesex;  
PERSONS: Badnall; Wilson; Challinor; O'Connor; Martin; Hall;  
DESCRIPTION: Press copy of the will of Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Badnall of 26 Kensington Court Gardens, West Kensington, Middlesex, widow, dated 12 February 1902, Challinor & Shaw, Leek. She appointed her son-in-law Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson, civil engineer, now or lately residing in Dover, Kent and her daughter Gertrude Badnall executors of her will. She bequeathed all her plate linen, china, glass, books, pictures, prints, and household effects to her spinster daughters. To her spinster daughters, if any at the time of her death, she also left 300 between them towards their household expenses for the year after her death. She states that she had given her children various amounts already.  In 1895 she gave Gertrude Badnall and Ethel Mary Badnall 500 cash each and in August 1896 she gave them 1896-1s-8d Natal 3-10s percent stock.  In 1895 she gave her daughter Mrs. Florence Mary Wilson 1200 cash. In July 1896 she gave her daughter Evelyn Elizabeth Badnall 700 in Cape of Good Hope 3-10s percent stock and in May 1897 the further sums of 133-6s-8d Cape of Good Hope 4 percent stock and 560-19s-1d New Zealand 4 percent stock.  To her daughter Mrs. Alice O'Connor she gave the sums of 361--0s-6d New South Wales 3-10s percent stock, 300 New Zealand 4 percent stock and 300 cape of Good Hope 3-10s percent stock. The Testator also states that she gave her daughters Gertrude and Ethel Mary Badnall 700 between them on 1 May 1898 in part satisfaction of their portions. On 28 September 1898 she advanced 300 to her son Lancelot Wykeham Badnall. To any daughter who was a spinster when she died she left 4000 out of her residual estate to be held by her trustees and invested and the income paid to the spinster daughters. The will was witnessed by Lt. Col. Gerald Martin of 8 Petersham Terrace, South Kensington and Joseph Hall of 15a Kensington Court Gardens-hall porter.  

REFERENCE: 1586  
PLACES: Kensington, London; Corofin, County Clare, Ireland; Gravesend, Kent;  
PERSONS: Badnall; Wilson; Fitzgerald; Stephenson;  
DESCRIPTION: Copy of the settlement made on the marriage of Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson of 7 Berneley Crescent, Gravesend, Kent to Miss Florence Mary Badnall of 32 Craven Hill Gardens, Middlesex. dated 1 August 1884. The trustees were William Henry Wilson Fitzgerald of Adelphi Corofin, County Clare and Rowland Macdonald Stephenson of 32 Craven Hill Gardens, Middlesex.  

REFERENCE: 1587  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Dover, Gravesend, Kent; Corofin, County Clare, Ireland; Kent;  
PERSONS: Badnall; Wilson; Fitzgerald; Stephenson;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft Appointment dated 10 June 1904 of new trustees  of the settlement dated 1 August 1884 made on the marriage of Mr. & Mrs. Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson.  

REFERENCE: 1588  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Sutton; Cruso; Coupland; Long; Lawton;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft case Re Sutton-a bankrupt, concerning a person's Lien on title deeds in Sutton's property. Copied for Long & Lawton 22 May 1818 Crusos & Coupland, Leek, Staffordshire.  

REFERENCE: 1589  
PLACES: Macclesfield, Rainow, Sutton, Cheshire; Stafford, Cheadle; Burslem, Wolstanton, Fossbrook, Eccleshall, Dilhorne, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Adderley; Bamford; Mountfort; Colclough; Hulley; Daventry; Green; Young; Willougby; Wright; Willett; Salt; Whitehurst; Gallimore; Whawell; Day; Boswell; Goodwin; Dawson; Eddowes; Beech; Cartledge; Moss; Carter; Bagnall; Nixon; Stafford; Stanley; Windsor; Dean; Moulton;  
DESCRIPTION: Attested copy of a deed of partition between Simon Mountfort of Stafford, (grandson and heir of Jane Mountfort deceased one of the sisters and coheirs of the late Simon Adderley of Blakehall) and Edward Bamford of Macclesfield (grandson and heir of Magdalen Bamford deceased the sister and the other coheir of Samuel Adderley) of estates descended to them as heir at law of Samuel Adderley late of Blakehall, Dilhorne, Staffordshire, Esq. Blagg, Son & Masefield, Cheadle, Staffordshire dated 2 October 1753. 16  pages of A3.  

REFERENCE: 1590  
PLACES: Cheadle, Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Nicholson; Brough; Hall; Johnson; Fogg; Pickford; Spilsbury; Carr; Bentley; Berrisford; Rhudde; Kay; Chorlton; Turner; Nutt; Renshaw; Strickland; Hamilton; Robinson; Durrant; Fynney; Barlow; Tatton; Matthews; Davies; Abbott; Armett; Pakeman; Putnam; Edge; Cope; Falkner; Holmes; Meakin; Locksley; Forrester; Carlos; Simpson; Lees; Belfield; Mellor; Turnock; Gaunt; Hulme; Peach; Brentnall; Tomkinson; Cumberlidge; Newall; Hassall; Thompson; Hollinshead; Haywood; Mycock; Brooks; Austin; Booth; Buxton; Nadin; Stannier; Poyser; Heapy; Henly; Worrall; Overfield; Platt; Pedley; Godwin; Stretton; Hales; Wardle; Hammersley; Worthington; Sherratt; Fisher; Jones; Mather; Freeman; Rushton; Lovatt; Hazeldine;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft conveyance by Messrs Arthur Nicholson and John Hall, silk manufacturers of Leek, Staffordshire and Arthur Johnson to Brough, Nicholson and Hall Limited of silk mills, warehouses, messuages, etc. in Leek and Cheadle, Staffordshire. Dated 21 November 1907, Challinors & Shaw, Leek. Nicholson and Hall agreed to sell the property to the Company for 42492. The property comprised " "that silk mill commonly called "Hope Mill, formerly occupied by Messrs Carr & Company, together with the reservoirs in front of the mill in Fountain Street, Leek, and several sheds adjoining to the South East.  It also included the dye works in Fountain Street to the West of Hope Mill which was bounded on the west by the Primitive Methodist Chapel with premises used as a fitters workshop and builders yard adjoining fronting the Ashbourne Road, Leek." Numbers 100, 12 and 12a Fountain Street, the entry to and Court 8 in Fountain Street together with outbuildings at the back of the three houses and Number 3 in Court 8. Number 20 Fountain Street formerly occupied by Joseph Bentley afterwards by Samuel Milward Fynney and nor (1907) by Elizabeth Barlow. Elsewhere in Leek they owned numbers 23, 25 and 27 Ashbourne Road formerly occupied by W. Spilsbury, Mrs. Pickford and John Pickford.; numbers 1,3,5,7,11,13,15,17 Cross Street, Leek formerly occupied by Mrs. Fogg, A. Matthews, J.Tatton, J, Davies, H.Abbott, Mrs. Armett, W. Pakeman, Mrs. Edge, and Mrs. Putman.  Nicholson and Hall had another mill in Leek, the York Mill fronting Ashbourne Road for 105 feet 6 inches and fronting Portland Street for 85 feet. This was bounded on the North by property formerly belonging to John Lockley and Richard Forrester. The York Mill and shed was occupied by the Company. Other houses in Leek (not conveyed) included numbers 7,9,11,13,15,17 and 19 Portland Street.  Nicholson and Hall's property in Cheadle included land (formerly part of the Barn Croft or Petty Mires and the Island) formerly in the holding of Joseph Cope and afterwards of Messrs Phillips & Kay then of R.H.Kay & Co. and in 1907 by Brough Nicholson & Hall. This plot was bounded on by Black Lane on the West, by the land of Richard Berrisford on the North, by part of the Rector of Cheadle's Glebe Lands on the South and South East, by a stream called Ciceleys Brook and on the East and by the highway from Cheadle to Oakmoor and on the South East.  On the land stood " all those silk mills, messuages, etc." occupied by the Company. Arthur Nicholson also conveyed to the Company the London Mill silk mill on the Ashbourne Road in Leek "bounded on the north-east by Well Street which had formerly been in the possession of Miles Simpson, together with Engine & boiler house " and also "the shade at the rear of the London Mill" and warehouses, offices, counting house, joiners workshop and other buildings in Cross Street and Well Street.  The document contains schedules which give details of the properties. One of the latter was a group of houses, on the north side of London Road, formerly called the Ashbourne Turnpike Road, near the bottom of Derby Street, Leek, formerly occupied by Joseph White and others but then by Thomas Milward, William Cater, Samuel Gould and John Shufflebotham part of which was described as "Joe's Last Shift" and were occupied by three French prisoners. Other properties mentioned include the Fountains Inn; a Ginger Beer Manufactory.  

REFERENCE: 1591  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Nicholson; Hall; Moor; Salt; Tatton;  
DESCRIPTION: Printed Memorandum and Articles of Association of Brough Nicholson & Hall Limited, Challinors & Shaw, Leek. This is signed but not dated and witnessed. A hand written note states "incomplete". NB There should be 2 new articles, additions to memo & several alterations".  

REFERENCE: 1592  
PLACES: Butterton;  
PERSONS: Salt; Harrison; wells; Blore; Corden; Stubbs; Gould; Mellor; Alsop; Ward; Stanford; Cheslyn; Burnett; Simpson;  
DESCRIPTION: Extract of title for the Judge in the case of Doe and Demise Blore against Stubbs. Undated but probably about 1798/1805. The recital starts with and indenture dated 14 May 1761 between (1) Sampson Salt  and Mary his wife, (2) Uriah Corden, (3) Thomas Gould and (4)George Gould for settling premises and in consideration of 400 the marriage portion of the said Mary. Covenant to levy a fine of 1/3 of the Manor of Butterton in the Moors, Staffordshire and of all that farm called Greenlow Head near Butterton. Gives details of tenures.  

REFERENCE: 1593  
PLACES: Leek, Weeping Cross, Staffordshire; Rugby, Northamptonshire;  
PERSONS: Brough; Salt; Kynnersley; Challinor; Shaw; Griffin; Flint; Howe; Goostrey; Coates; Moss; Brunt; Walmsley; Gaunt; Johnson; Badnall; Killmister;  
DESCRIPTION: Schedule of deed and papers relating to property belonging to Joshua Brough, silk manufacturer, of Leek, Staffordshire. 1853. The property includes (1) Houses and premises in Pickwood Road, Leek. (2) Fowlchurch Farm;  

REFERENCE: 1594  
PLACES: Standon, Stone, Mill Meece, Staffordshire.  
PERSONS: Malkin; Walters; Welch;  
DESCRIPTION: Two items re the miller of Standon, Staffordshire. (1)Warrant to accompany an affidavit of free personal property in the United Kingdom. Undated  and relating to Arthur Malkin, deceased, late of Standon Mill and Wood Hill Villa, Mill Meece, Staffordshire, miller, who died on 20 February 1910. Malkin's personal property was valued at 1095-7s-3d. (2) Account of A. Malkin & Sons, Millers of Standon, liabilities and assets. The plant and machinery was valued at 557-14s-3d, horse and rolling stock at 230, stock at 763-19s-8d.  Sundry debtors owed 2614-1s-11d. Sundry trade creditors were owed 2124-19s-6d. Cash creditors were owed 609.  Arthur Malkin's share of of capital and profits was 1029-12s-3.  

REFERENCE: 1595  
PLACES: London; Swythamley, Heaton, Horton, Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Camden; Lloyd; Greaves; Willis; Nicolls; Trafford; Clarke; Sykes; Birtles;  
DESCRIPTION: Bill of Complaint in Chancery 28 October 1768 "Reynardson by James Clarke. Document addressed to " the Right Honourable Charles Lord Camden Baron of Camden Place in the County of Kent Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain" The "Orators" were Samuel Lloyd of Winchester Street, London a merchant; William Greaves of Coleman Street, London, silkman and Richard Willis of Savage Gardens, London, merchant, the assignees of the estates and effects of Samuel Nicols late of Brick Lane, Christ Church, Middlesex, weaver, a bankrupt. The recital begins with a statement that the late William Trafford of Swithamley, Staffordshire was seized of Manors and other property in Staffordshire, Cheshire and elsewhere to a yearly value of 800. He was also seized of "divers customary or copyhold messuages" to a yearly value of 200 all of which "he surrendered to the uses of his will". William Trafford also had a "very large and considerable " personal estate consisting of money, money at interest in the public stocks or funds and sureties for money, plate, jewels, household goods, etc.  To the value of 5000. Trafford drew up his will on 10 February 1758. In it he devised half the Manor of Heaton, his capital messuage Swithamley Grange with the park adjoining, and all his copyhold and freehold property, tithes etc. in Staffordshire, Cheshire and elsewhere to Edward Sykes of Leek, button merchant, then of Leek but since deceased, and John Birtles of Leek, gent,  in trust. The trust was for the benefit of William Trafford's daughter Sarah Nicolls of Stafford, the widow of William Nicolls late of Stafford, gent, and her assigns for life. After Sarah's death the benefits passed to  Samuel Nicolls (the bankrupt) the third son of William and Sarah Nicolls, " in tail remainder".  The bills gave powers to raise annuities or marriage portions on the property and if desired to lease it for not more than 21 years.  Trafford died on 20 October 1762. The only codicil to the will was one which revoked a legacy of 100 to his niece Esther Due Verdue.  His daughter Mrs Sarah Nicolls was his only heir.  Edward Sykes died on 30 October 1764.  A Commission of Bankruptcy was awarded against  Samuel Nicolls on 29 October 1766 and his estates were duly assigned to the Orators mentioned above. The Assignees had applied to Sarah Nicolls and John Birtles for an account of the rentals of the estates and to call in a sum of 1500 and also to hand over all deeds and papers so that they could make arrangements to sell the estates. According to the Orators  "Sarah Nicolls and John Birtles combining and confederating with Edward Nicolls and Robert Nicolls two sons of Sarah Nicolls and others,  had contrived to defeat and injure the Orators in the estate.  They stated that Sarah Nicolls and others claimed that William Trafford was of unsound mind when he made his will and that it was not executed and attested in due manner. Sarah Nicolls further claimed that William Trafford had given her the premises in trust so that she might raise up to 400 by mortgage on them and use the same  to erect and endow a charity school upon part of the common land  for the instruction of so many poor children within the Lordship of Horton. The Orators claimed that the use of the estate for such purposes was invalid under a statute restraining "the disposition of lands in Mortmain.  Sarah Nicolls and her supporters were said also to have claimed that William Trafford only gave the estates to Samuel Nicolls for life without impeachment of waste with remainder to the trustees to preserve contingent remainders to  his first and other sons for life with remainder to Robert Nicolls for life, etc. Neither Samuel, Edward or Robert Nicolls were married at the time the document was drawn up.  

REFERENCE: 1596  
PLACES: Butterton, Ipstones, Onecote, Wetton, Staffordshire; Ashbourne, Thorpe, Derbyshire; Nottingham;  Langley Hall, Leicestershire;  
PERSONS: Salt; Corden; Gould; Harrison; Mellor; Want; Allsop; Whillcock; Wheildon; Wilmot; Blurton; Cheslyn; Stanford;  
DESCRIPTION: Abstract of Mrs Thomas Salt's title to estate in Butterton in the Moors, Staffordshire undated but after 1795. The recital starts with an indenture dated 14 May 1761 between (1) Sampson Salt of Greenlow head near Butterton, gent and his wife Mary, (2) Uriah Corden of Ipstones, gent, (3) Thomas Gould of Hanson Grange, Thorpe, Derbyshire, gent and (4)) Thomas Gould of Ashbourne, Derbyshire, mercer. Sampson and Mary Salt wished to settle " the Manor, lands, tenements, Hereditaments, free fishery, etc. of Butterton in the Moors, Staffordshire for various uses in consideration of 400 received by Sampson Salt as a marriage portion with Mary his wife. They covenanted with  and granted to Uriah Corden that they would levy a fine to Corden and his heirs. The property is described with field names, acreages, etc. It also states that Sampson Salt died leaving 5 children - Thomas Salt a button merchant of Leek (later he is described as a Throwster), Ann then wife of Richard Whillcock, Mary Salt, Dorothy Salt, Martha Salt and Sampson Salt. In 1788 Thomas Salt of Leek, throwster, entered into an agreement with William Stanford, William Elliot Stanford and John Stanford of Nottingham, merchants who he owed 1450 for goods sold and delivered to him.  

REFERENCE: 1597  
PLACES: Leek, Endon, Staffordshire;  North Rode, Cheshire;  
PERSONS: Sutton; Taylor; Godwin; Atherton; Mills; Cruso; Hulme; Lowndes;  
DESCRIPTION: Case for the opinion of Mr H. Atherton concerning the will of George Taylor of Leek, Staffordshire, deceased, prepared by Townsend of Staples Inn for Mills & Cruso, solicitors of Leek, Staffordshire. Opinion of Mr Atherton dated November 1797.  

REFERENCE: 1598  
PLACES: Bradnop, Leek, Staffordshire; London; Blackburn, Manchester, Lancashire; Cheshire; Ashbourne, Derbyshire; Garnestone, Hereford;  
PERSONS: Badnall; Challinor; Gaunt; Felica; Doxat; Glyn; Buttermere; James; Laugharn; Durant; Heath; Stone; Gandolph; Clowes; Peploe; Mills; Fox; Sudell; Furse; Pyce; Killmister;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft conveyance to uses of a farm (Hob Meadow) and lands in Bradnop, Leek, Staffordshire from (1) Henry Sudell of Woodfold Park, Blackburn, William Fox of Statham Lodge, Cheshire, Samuel Peploe of Garnestone, Hereford and the Revd. John Clowes of Broughton Hall, Manchester (one of the Fellows of the Collegiate Church of Manchester, Trustees named in the will of Dorothy Clowes of Manchester, widow, deceased; (2) William Challinor of Leek; (3) Mary Laugharn of Stafford, widow; (4) John James of Bucklerbury, London; (5) Enoch and Richard Durant, Robert W. Buttermere and William Stone of Copthall, London, silk brokers and partners, Joseph Thomas Gandolph and Charles Felica of Throgmorton Street, London, merchants and partners, John Alphonso Doxat, Alexis Doxat, Lewis Doxat, Alphonso Doxat, and Henry Doxat of Bishopgate Street, London, merchants and partners, Sir Richard Carr Glyn, bart, Thomas Halifax Richard Plumtree Glynn, George Carr Glyn and Charles Mills of Lombard Street, London, bankers and partners and John Heath, John Benjamin Heath and John Furse of Old Jewry, London, merchants and partners; (6) John Benjamin Heath, John Pryce of Leadenhall Street, London merchant, and Charles Felica, assignees and mortgagees of Richard Badnall the younger, late of Ashenhurst, Leek, silk manufacturer and dyer, a bankrupt, and (7) the Richard Badnall  the younger to (8) Richard Gaunt of Leek, silk manufacturer and (9) George Ridgway Killmister of Leek. Dated 3rd June 1828. Killmister & Challinor, Leek. A note states: "Lots 1 & 2."  

REFERENCE: 1599  
PLACES: Snelston, Ashbourne; Buxton, Norbury, Derby, Ellastone, Derbyshire; Uttoxeter, Alton, Hanley, Burton, Checkley, Tutbury, Staffordshire; Moor Green,  Worcestershire; London; Congleton, Chester, Cheshire; Newtown, North Wales; Leigh, Liverpool, Lancashire;  Hull; Bristol; Wolverhampton;  Loughborough, Leicestershire; Reading, Yorkshire;  
PERSONS: Broughton; Kynnersley; Lacon; Hand; Allam; Archer; Allsop; Atkin; Abraham; Adams; Ashworth; Bainbridge; Bennett; Baldwin; Amies; Barber; Currey; Bell; Braham; Bradley; Bull; Hawkins; Bass; Bednall; Bunting; Blackwell; Buxton; Brambles; Burgess; Birch; and many others;  
DESCRIPTION: Two documents. (1) Copy of the will of the Revd. Clement Francis Broughton of Snelston, Derbyshire 12 August 1879.   (2) List of debts of the Revd. Clement Francis Broughton of Snelston, Derbyshire, deceased. Hand, Uttoxeter. Undated.  

REFERENCE: 1600  
PLACES: Snelston, Buxton, Derbyshire; Uttoxeter, Staffordshire; Clifton  
PERSONS: Broughton; Hand; Allis; Oakden; Nadin; Holyoake; Dickson; Horton;  
DESCRIPTION: Letters and receipts of the Broughton family. (1) A letter dated 29 October 1879  from Miss Lucy Broughton at Snelston Vicarage, Derbyshire to Frank Hand, solicitor, Uttoxeter. She mentions a cheque for the servants wages " Mr.Allis  3-12s; housemaid 3-16s; and the kitchen maid 1-10s." (2) A receipt dated 3 November 1879 from Miss Lucy C. Broughton to Frank Hand for 8-18s she had received from him for "Gardeners', housemaid's and kitchen maids' wages". (3) Letter dated 29 October 1881 from Miss Lucy Broughton at Clifton, [Derbyshire?] to Frank Hand, solicitor, Uttoxeter. This is concerned with valuations of furniture and paintings of the late Revd. C.F.Broughton.  (4) Two receipts from Miss J. M. Dickson of the Wye House Nursing Home, Buxton, Derbyshire dated 2 August 1936 and 2 February 1937 respectively. The receipts were for money received from the Revd. R. Broughton for (in each case) one quarter's board and care  for Mr Clement Lacon Broughton.