Bednall Collection Pt 1: No.s 1401 to 1425

The Bednall Archive 

Last updated 04/05/2004


REFERENCE: 1401  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Cruso; Challinor; Killmister; Sutton; Etches; Thorneycroft; Knight; Smith; Pratt; Wardle; Coupland; Hulme;  
DESCRIPTION: Three letters relating to Miss Sutton's estates. (1) Dated 7 July 1829 from John Cruso junior of Leek to Messrs Killmister & Challinor of Leek, solicitors. It concerns Sutton & Etches Title. It mentions a mortgage to Miss Thorneycroft in 1783 and purchase by Mr Knight in 1800.  (2) Dated 25 March 1830 from John Cruso junior of Leek to Messrs Killmister & Challinor of Leek, solicitors. Concerns Smith's proposed purchase and states that Miss Sutton and the Vicar conveyed nothing to Hulme than what belonged to them. (3) Dated 24 March 1831 from Charles Coupland of Leek, solicitor, to Messrs Killmister & Challinor of Leek, solicitors. It concerns Sutton's Sales and in particular three conveyances - Sutton to Wardle, Sutton to Smith and Sutton to Cruso. It also contains a copy of a letter from Coupland to John Cruso dated 23 March 1831.  

REFERENCE: 1402  
PLACES: Macclesfield, Cheshire;  
PERSONS: Catlow; Bradbury; Smith;  
DESCRIPTION: Bill from D.M.Catlow & Co , Embroiderers & Manufacturers, Silk Street Mill, Macclesfield to J. F. Bradbury dated August 1920. The partners had been D.M.Catlow and W.S.Smith but by 1920 Catlow was sole proprietor. The bill totals £2315 and includes -Salary £1750; Bonus £150; Loan £600; 7 months salary £1020-16s-8d.  

REFERENCE: 1403  
PLACES: Leek, Lane End, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Young; Phillips; Killmister; Challinor;  
DESCRIPTION: Letter dated 15 May 1832 from George Young of Lane End to his uncle at Leek. It is headed "Leek's Settlement"  suggesting that the best way to satisfy all parties was for his uncles attorneys to draw up a case for the opinion of Counsel "as it cannot make the least difference to Mr Phillips whether you take a share of the £600 or not".  

REFERENCE: 1404  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Liverpool; London; Wolverhampton.  
PERSONS: Challinor; Hacker; Allen; Dixon; Earp; Preston; Wilkinson; Landor; Harvey; Bagley; Jennings; Bevins;  
DESCRIPTION: One copy circular and nine letters dealing with the affairs of the tenant of the Leek Brewery, James F. Dixon who was on the verge of bankruptcy April to May 1866. (1) Letter dated 7th April 1866 from William Allen to Challinor & Co. Leek, Staffordshire wanting a Mr Landor to sleep in the premises to prevent Dixon taking things away. Dixon gave his word of honour not to remove anything.  (2) Letter dated 7th April 1866 from William Allen to Challinor & Co. Leek, Staffordshire. It accompanied a deed of assignment executed by Mr Dixon for execution by the trustees. Suggests there is no need for Dixon going into possession but that a valuation of the furniture should be made straight away. The letter states that the landlords of the brewery were willing to let it "-the rent including the steam engine, boiler and the whole of the brewing plant has hitherto been £250 per annum but the proprietors or willing to take a reduced amount and we are prepared to treat with Mr Earp on that point at any time".  (3) Letter dated 12th April 1866 from William Allen to Challinor & Co. Leek, Staffordshire enclosing a stated account and a list of creditors and debtors.  A footnote confirms that the parties who brought the action had assented to the deed of assignment. (4) Draft circular to creditors dated 12 April 1866.  It states that subsequent to a meeting of creditors on 23 March last at the offices of Hacker & Allen, Mr Dixon's solicitors, Dixon's friends had declined to guarantee the composition required or any less composition and an assignment to Mr Earp (of the firm Harvey,   ?  And Earp, brewers and creditors) had therefore been proposed to the extent of £…..and to Mr Jabez Preston of  Messrs Preston & Co. of the George Inn Yard, London, creditors to the extent of £….    (5) Letter from James F. Dixon of the Bridge End Brewery, Leek, dated 12th April 1866 to Joseph Challinor, Leek. Walton & Turner had assented to the assignment and no other creditors were taking proceedings. Fergyson had finished the valuation of furniture.  Dixon asked that the man "that has been living here since yesterday" be now removed "it is so painful to Mrs Dixon".  (6) Letter from James F. Dixon of the Bridge End Brewery, Leek, dated 14th April 1866 to Joseph Challinor, Leek. Dixon had intended to send his children to Liverpool that morning but hadn't been able to do so because " it is necessary the little boy should take his bedding and bath with them".  Dixon asked for permission to remove the things mentioned.  He wished to go on Monday morning so as to be present at his brother's marriage on Wednesday but he and his wife were "not in any spirits for that sort of thing". He noted that a Chubb safe that he had bought for £12 was not listed on the advertisement of the sale at the brewery. (7)Letter from James F. Dixon of the Bridge End Brewery, Leek, dated 28th May 1866 to Joseph Challinor, Leek. It accompanied a few accounts. He enclosed a notice from the excise concerning a repayment of £13-15s-0d on the license.  Dixon said he had left the license in the cash box and that if it was sent to the Red Lion on Friday 1st of June " the Collector will pay the money". Mr Wilkinson was the Excise Officer.   (8) Letter dated 18th May 1866 from Mrs. S. Jennings of the Railway Bridge, Canal Street, Wolverhampton, concerning a cask of ale sent from Leek that was "not fit to drink". She had tried the cask six times and each time it tasted like "pig-wash". She had told Mr Bagley, the brewery's agent, and he agreed that it was "the most beastly stuff". She intended to return the cask. (9) Letter dated 30 April 1866 from Edward Bevins to Messrs Challinor at Leek, Staffordshire. Challinors had asked him to pay the bill he owed to the estate of James Farrar Dixon. Boones stated that he did not owe the £3-5s-0d claimed but Dixon owed him 9s 6d.  He had received 3 kilderkins of Ale from Dixon on 20th March at a price of £3-9s-0d. He paid £1-0-0 to Dixon's traveller.  He had only sold half of one kilderkin (the price for the whole being £1-1s-0d and found that "both what was left and the whole of the other two unfit for sale -it was returned to Mr Dixon's brewery". (10) Printed copy circular re the estate of J.F. Dixon, brewer, of Leek, Staffordshire, dated 25 July 1866. It asks the recipients to return the "under mentioned" ale or porter casks immediately or to pay for any casks not
returned within 7 days.   

REFERENCE: 1405  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Knight; Malkin; Hammersley;
DESCRIPTION: Notes concerning a paternity case concerning Alice Knight of 15 Britannia Street, Leek -a 27 year old working in the box department of Wardle & Davenport, and Colin Malkin of 7 Wellington Street, Leek a 26 year old silk picker. A female child had been born on 28 July 1908. Details of meeting etc.  Deft. earned about £1-1s-0d and had a pension of probably 6d a day for 7 years. The doctors bill had been 10s  6d and the midwife's  7s 6d.  A further note lists 3s 6d a week  -14 years of age.  

REFERENCE: 1406  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Thornbridge, Hartington,  Derbyshire;  
PERSONS: Sleigh; Lightfoot; Hughes; Carruthers; Whillock; Newall; Newall; Redfern; Challinor;  
DESCRIPTION: Two documents re the sale of Cawdry House, Leek. (1)Agreement of sale and purchase of Cawdry House and land, Leek, Staffordshire by John Sleigh, Esq. Of Thornbridge, Derbyshire And Henry Lightfoot  of Leek, Staffordshire, liquor merchant,  dated 22 January 1869. The house formerly occupied by Lieutenant Colonel Carruthers was to be conveyed to Lightfoot on 25 March 1869.  The document is signed by Lightfoot over a six penny revenue stamp and carried a pencilled note that John Sleigh had received a £70 deposit from Lightfoot on the 26 January 1869. The full price was £700.  (2) Requisitions on title and answers to them in Sleigh to Lightfoot, 20th February 1869.Contains some genealogical information on the Sleigh family.  

REFERENCE: 1407  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Tilley; Titley; Fynney; Challinor; Badnall; Shilling;  
DESCRIPTION: Letter dated 30 November 1853 from Samuel Fynney, Rupert Titley and Eliza Tilley to Challinor, Badnall & Challinor, Leek, Staffordshire, solicitors authorising them to take action necessary to recover £200 and interest due on a note of hand from Ralph Shilling.? [very early in the C,B & C partnership]  

REFERENCE: 1408  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Amson; Lovatt; Watson; Thompson.  
DESCRIPTION: Hand written statement of the affairs of James Amson of London Mills and Haywood Street, Leek, Staffordshire dated 6th September 1887. Lists preferential creditors for rent and rates, value of stock in trade, value book debts and of furniture and household effects.  

REFERENCE: 1409  
PLACES: Cauldon, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Woooliscroft; Dyson; Walwyn; Rider; Eldershaw; Deakin; Swinton;  
DESCRIPTION: Epitome of Thomas Wooliscroft's will. Undated -may be 1820 to 1835.Thomas left his land at Cauldon known as Hammey (or Harmony) hole to his brother George for life and then to his son or his sons eldest brother.  George and Hannah Wooliscroft had several sons and daughters - Thomas, John, George, Richard, Ralph, Ann, May and Elizabeth.  John Wooliscroft was dead by the time this document was drafted. The testator also left legacies to the nine sons and daughters of George and Ann Rider who were all his nephews and nieces I.e.  Mary Dyson, William and George Rider, Ellen Deakin, Elizabeth Swinton, Samuel and John Rider, Ann Rider and James Rider.  He also left legacies to his nephews and nieces William and John Walwyn, Mary, Ellen, Elizabeth and Susan Walwyn the children of his sister Ellen. John Eldershaw was another nephew of Thomas Wooliscroft as were John, Thomas, Elizabeth and Mary Wooliscroft the children of his brother John and sister in law Elizabeth.  It was to Thomas the son of his brother John, that Thomas Wooliscroft left his interest in Harracles Farm together with the stock, implements, hay, corn and other effects with some specific exceptions. His residence at Harpur's Gate he gave  to his sister Elizabeth together with the residue of his estate.  

REFERENCE: 1410  
PLACES: Leek, Heaton; Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Howard; Smith; Redfern; Edge; Erlam; Hope; Brocklehurst; Gould; Arrowsmith; Shaw; Fletcher; Webb; Heapy; Gee;  
DESCRIPTION: Mortgage by appointment and demise of five houses in Leek Market Place for 2000 years to secure £450 and interest by Joseph Howard of Leek, brazier, to William Fallows Smith of Knivedon, Leek, farmer. Dated 11th November 1835. Redfern, Leek. The property concerned was on the eastern side of the Market Place and included the Cock Inn with the brewhouse, joiners shop and stable thereto belonging formerly in the possession of Henry Beard and afterwards of Henry Beard and Thomas Beard his sons and now of William Glover and Samuel Braddock, joiner. And also that house with workshop belonging to it and adjoining the before mentioned house and now occupied by William Travis  ???. And also all those three other newly erected houses now occupied by  William Hope, George Cope and ? Barlow: the interest rate was 4.5%. Reference is made to an Indenture of Lease & Release dated the same day and made between (1)Thomas Hope, farmer, (2) Thomas Hope and Peter Hope, paper manufacturers, John Brocklehurst, farmer. (3) Thomas Hope, Peter Hope, Richard Hope, paper manufacturers, William Hope, grocer, William Gould, farmer and Mary his wife, John Arrowsmith, farmer and Elizabeth his wife, James Shaw, weaver and Audrey his wife, the said John Brocklehurst and Lydia his wife, James Cooper, butcher and Elizabeth his wife, Ralph Webb, weaver and Ellen his wife, Thomas Heapy, silk manufacturer and Hannah his wife, and Edward Gee, farmer and Ann his wife. (4) Joseph Howard. Later someone has interpolated additional text indicating that a later agreement was considered between John Edge of Wincle, Cheshire, paper manufacturer and James Erlam of Heaton, Staffordshire, blacksmith for the purpose of securing £300. With regard to the occupation of property it states "heretofore in the occupation of Samuel Travis afterwards of William Hammersley and now of William Hope, grocer".  

REFERENCE: 1411  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Redfern; Wardle; Cruso; Young; Smith; Plant; Drakeford; Bagnall; Cruddington; Hughes; Wheatley; Dewberry; Keates;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft deed of covenant from Thomas Redfern of Leek, to Hugh Wardle of Leek, druggist, and Elizabeth his wife, for the production of deeds relating to the Swan Inn in Leek, Staffordshire 28 April 1843, Cruso, Leek. The deeds related not only to the Swan Inn  but also to Bank House, Leek that  Thomas Redfern had bought from Samuel Young. The document lists the deeds in question and these date from 31 October 1766 to Trinity Term 34 Geo 3 (May 1794). A note by Redfern states " I have perused and do approve of the draft on behalf of myself" Leek 18th April 1843. 

REFERENCE: 1412  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Worthington; Hall; Challinor; Badnall; Hodgetts; Turner; Hacker; Fernihough; Alcock; Leech; Goostrey;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft conveyance from Andrew Jukes Worthington, of Leek, silk manufacturer, to Joseph Hall the elder of Leek, farmer, of two plots of building land in an "intended new street " Brunswick Street, Leek, Staffordshire 13th November 1853. Challinor, Badnall & Challinor. A restrictive covenant was included preventing the construction of " a manufactory, shade or other erection for the purpose of working or manufacturing silk." Pencilled in abstract of title on the rear.  

REFERENCE: 1413  
PLACES: Cheddleton, Earl Sterndale, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Hine; Hudson;  
DESCRIPTION: Copy surveyors account of materials and labour used in repairs to a house and outbuildings at Park Farm, Cheddleton, Staffordshire 22 November 1883. The farm belonged to the Vicar of Earl Sterndale and was tenanted by Mr J. J. Hine. The surveyor had been appointed by agreement between the parties was Micah Hudson.  

REFERENCE: 1414  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Whittles; Johnson; Middleton; Challinor; Salt, Sneyd; Debank; Hulme; Woolfe; Hubbard; Delves-Broughton; Hubbard;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft conveyance from Messrs John Gibson  Whittles of Leek, grocer,  and William Whittles of Leek, grocer,  to Isaac Middleton of Leek, grocer, and Thomas Johnson of Leek, painter, of houses and shops in the Market Place, Leek, Staffordshire 1855 Challinor & Co., Leek. The document cites  an indenture of lease and release dated 28th 29th September 1815 between 1) John Stevenson Salt,(2) Jane Sneyd, (3) Benjamin Woolfe, (4) George Hubbard. This indenture concerned  a messuage or tenement standing in the Market Place at Leek with stable, bakehouse outbuildings and yard belonging to it then in the possession of William Meak in that together with the adjoining dwelling in possession of John Cummins, Joseph Prince and William Hulme were formerly occupied as one entire dwelling by Elizabeth Debank but was divided into two separate dwellings after her death.  Each had as much  of the yard from the end of the passage or entry leading to it has had been walled in or marked off and also 3/4 of the ash midden [1 yard wide by 2 yards long]. Benjamin Woolfe had the right to use a 4foot wide horse wheelbarrow foot and other usual and accustomed road through the entry and up and down the yard to premises purchased by Woolfe and by William Hulme. This document then mentions all warehouses, edifices, buildings, yards, ways, passages, walls, cellars, vaults, water courses etc., etc.  Conveyed to Hulme. Pews and sittings in the church were excluded. All were conveyed to Woolfe. A later indenture of lease and release was made on 17th 18th November 1819 between  (1) John Stevenson Salt, (2) Henry Delves Broughton and James Sutton, (3) Samuel Bower Whittles, (4) William Hulme (5) Killmister, (6) Benjamin Woolfe.(7) George Hubbard; in connection with the property in the Market Place late occupied by Joseph Prime, John Cummings and William Hulme but then by Benjamin Woolfe. This also mentions a garden or plot at the top of the yard behind the house with buildings lately erected on part of it by William Hulme. The property ( purchased under an indenture dated 21 and 22nd of August 1815 and conveyed to William Hulme) was conveyed to Benjamin Woolfe.  In his will dated 5th June 1833, Woolfe devised his property to Samuel Bower Whittles, grocer, and to James Lasseter, cheese factor,  in trust to sell.  Woolfe added a codicil on 7th November 1837 but this did not affect things. A second codicil was drafted on 23 April 1848 following the death of both Whittles and Lasseter. In this Woolfe bequeathed his personal estate and the residue of his real estate to J.G. and William Whittles upon trusts.  Woolfe died on 7th November 1854 and the property was offered for sale at the Queen's Head, Leek on 15th March 1855 and bought by Mr Thomas Johnson. Subsequently Isaac Middleton contracted with Johnson to buy the property from him. Middleton paid the two Whittles a total of £1910 for the property. 

REFERENCE: 1415  
PLACES: York;  
PERSONS: Thornycroft; Handasyde; Hollish; Pincke;  
DESCRIPTION: Two documents dealing with Thornycroft estates. (1) Draft answers in the case of Edward Thornycroft, Eleanor Thornycroft and Ann Thornycroft to a bill of complaint in Chancery brought by Elizabeth Pincke, widow, and Ann Thornycroft and to the amended bill of complaint of Reviver of Alured Pincke and Ann Thornycroft. The matter concerns rentals of the manors, messuages, lands, etc. of which Elizabeth Handasyde died seized. And properties in trust for Henshaw Thornycroft, Esq., deceased.(2) An account of the expenses incurred by Mills & Son, of Leek, solicitors, in proving the will of Edward Thornycroft in the Prerogative Court of York July 1817. Stamp duty on the probate came to £250. 

REFERENCE: 1416  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Gorton, Lancashire; Derby;  
PERSONS: Matthews; Johnson; Bowers; Thackthwaite; Walmsley; Badnall; Cruso; Siddall;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft conveyance dated 10 July 1854 from Messrs William Clarence Matthews of Longsight, Gorton, Lancashire, surgeon, and Benjamin Johnson of Derby, woollen draper, to Thomas Bowers of Leek, silk merchant, , of a moiety of lands in Leek, Staffordshire. Bowers paid £49-10s -6d for a moiety of a 566 square yard plot of land in or near a footway leading from Spout Street, Leek, called Strangman's Walk, on which buildings intended to be used as a silk shade, store house and warehouse "are now in the course of erection by the said Thomas Bowers and Mr Benjamin Spilsbury." It mentions in particular the right to a right of way 12 feet wide "either on foot or on horse back or with carts or carriage " from a new street called Wellington Street through and over the East  and South sides of the plot and the premises adjoining belonging to Bowers and Spilsbury.. It has a schedule of deeds beginning with an indenture of settlement dated 29 July 1847 between (1) Elizabeth Bowers (then Eliza Walmsley), (2) Thomas Bowers, (3) Charles George Draeske and William Barnett. 

REFERENCE: 1417  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire; Alviston, Warwickshire; Oxford; London;  
PERSONS: Parker; Young; Cruso; Challinor; Critchlow; Nall; Phillips; Ward; Carr; Russell; Sleigh; Keates; Drewery; Gaunt; Brealey; Hammersley; Stonehewer; Bullock; Adamson; Barnard; Broadstreet; Davenport; Bolton; Eaglehurst; Sherwood;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft release, dated 27th May 1834, from the Right Honourable Earl of Macclesfield, The Honourable Thomas Parker only brother to the Earl and Thomas Augustus Wolstonholme Parker, Esq., eldest son and heir apparent of  the said Thomas Parker, Mr Samuel Young of Leek, tanner, and his wife Catherine to John Sleigh, John Cruso the elder, Anthony Ward, Thomas Carr the younger, Samuel Phillips, William Challinor, John Russell, Charles Flint John Cruso the younger, Samuel Young, George Young, William Critchlow and   George Nall all of Leek. of the intended site of a National School in Leek, Staffordshire and declaration of trusts. Cruso. Engrossed 16th May 1834.   The land is described as land being the West side of and part and parcel of a certain building standing on Clerks Bank, Leek which now and since its erection by the Right Honourable Earl of Macclesfield, Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain in the year 1723, has been by permission of the Earls of Macclesfield used as a school room with the wall and iron railing which separates the said plot of land from the road and the land and premises of Samuel Young. And also that other piece of land at the back of and being part of the back yard of the said school measuring 234 square yard.  The deed permitted the National school to be tied into any part of the gable end of the school room. The property was held upon trusts. The trustees had to agree to build a wall of brick or dressed stone and with a stone coping at least 5 feet high to divide the National School plot from the land of the other school, within 6 months.. The Youngs granted a second plot that was part of the garden at the back of houses on Clerk's Bank,  then occupied by Samuel Stonehewer and Thomas Bullock. The garden was occupied by William Hammersley, a grocer and adjoined one of the plots previously described.  There was a "necessary house or privy on the Young's land and the plot measured seventeen square yards. The trustees were to permit the Governors of the Charity to build a school for the teaching and instructing poor children in the principles of the Established Church of England under the Control of the Governors. The Governors were to include the Vicar of Leek and the Lord of the Manor of Leek & Frith.  After the erection of the school the Governors were to meet (at least three of them) to elect schoolmasters, Teachers etc. Vicar was to have a casting vote at any meeting of the Governors. Attached to the document was a copy of a certificate of acknowledgement by Mrs Catherine Young of a deed made by her in connection with this transaction.  

REFERENCE: 1418  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Wardle; Concliffe;  
DESCRIPTION: Bill sent by Mrs Sarah Wardle of Leek, dressmaker, to Mrs Concliffe 18th October 1833 and settled  on 18th November 1833.  

REFERENCE: 1419  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Wardle; Tatton;  
DESCRIPTION: Receipt for £1050 paid by John Wardle to Joseph Tatton 8th November 1904.  

REFERENCE: 1420  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Brealey;  
DESCRIPTION: Printed  notice issued in 1933 concerning the Ash Almshouse Charity, Leek, Staffordshire. It states that the electing body was to meet on Monday 13th February 1933 to elect an Alms-person to fill a vacancy in the number of Alms-people of the charity. The election was to take place in the Vestry of the Parish Church, Leek, at 11 a.m.  "Poor widows or maidens of good character, members of the Church of England, who are at least 60 years of age, or permanently disabled by accident or some other sufficient cause from working, who are constant attenders when physically able at church in connection with the Church of England, and who have not during the preceding two years received Poor Law Relief, and who have been bona-fide resident for 10 years in one of the parishes of Leek are eligible for appointment".  Preference was to be given to those who had shown reasonable providence, and to those who had lived longest in the area.  

REFERENCE: 1421  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Green; Godwin; Downes; Shaw; Smith;  
DESCRIPTION: Three documents dealing with the former Globe Inn property.  (1)Copy memorandum, dated 7 March 1907, as to easements relating to  land formerly part of the Globe Yard and Fields Estate, Mr Ernest Green of Leek, cheese factor, to Mr Samuel Godwin of Leek. Butcher. J.P.Fellowes Smith of Leek, solicitor. Challinors & Shaw, Leek.  Green and Godwin had purchased their properties from the Leek Urban District Council in May 1904 (Lots 40 and 37 and 41 respectively). A warehouse stood on Lot 40. Green and Godwin agreed to vary  the conditions, boundaries, etc. for their mutual convenience so that Green could have a right of way over a passage belonging to Godwin. Godwin granted Green a 2.75 ft. wide strip of land parallel to the boundary line on the east side of Lot 41. Godwin also agreed to pay half the expense of erecting a9 ft. high,  9" thick, brick wall on the west side of the strip to form the boundary between Lots 40 and 41. The wall was to have a stone pillar facing High Street. The wall was to be held as a party wall.  Green granted Godwin the right to pass along the proposed road with horse or cattle, animals, carts, carriages or other vehicles.. Double doors were to be erected at the entrance to the proposed new way and kept locked at night.  (2) Copy letter dated 20 September 1921 from J. Morris Shaw of 6 Russell Street, Leek to an unknown person. It states that Mr Francis Downes had recently purchased No. 7 High Street, Leek and wished to communicate with the letters recipient about " unauthorised use of the road along the western side of his premises, over which you have a limited right of way".  The complaint concerned access to other property I.e. Lot 41 and "the sausage house at the rear of Lot 37.  Downes also complained of people using the road in order to "for the putting up horses and carts and the garaging of cars". Lot 37 consisted of No. 30 St. Edward Street, Leek and Lot 41 was No. 7 High Street, Leek.  (3) Copy of Leek Urban District Council's condition 20 referred to in the agreement of 7th March 1907. This stipulated that the Vendors should remove buildings fronting ST. Edward  Street occupied (in 1904) by Messrs Shallcross & Fallon as soon as vacant possession had been obtained. The purchaser of Lot 38 was to remove the building on that part of his lot which is to be laid to St. Edward Street to "the extent of the red line shown on the plan, and make good the front of the building at his own expense within 7 months.  The purchaser of Lot 40 was to re-build the North gable end of the warehouse "now standing on that lot with good pressed bricks in a neat and workmanlike manner" within 3 months of completion.  This purchaser had also to "remove the steps and fill the cavity to the level to be fixed by    and pave and make up and keep in repair thereafter, a road 5 ft wide along the east side of the warehouse leading from High Street to Lots 37, 38, and 39. The owners of these lots were to have a right of way "to the south end" at all times and for all purpose.  

REFERENCE: 1422  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Allen; Shaw;  
DESCRIPTION: Letter from Henry Allen of Britannia Mills, Leek  silk manufacturer , to Mr Shaw of Challinor & Shaw, Leek dated 16th August 1909. The letter concerns a "Proposed new Council School for Leek". The Vicar had asked him to see Shaw about moving a resolution to the next Council Meeting as to a school being erected at the end of Britannia Street schools playground according to the resolution carried at the Old Church Vestry meeting a few weeks before.  

REFERENCE: 1423  
PLACES: Leek, Lichfield, Stoke on Trent, Endon, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Deacon; Prince; Lynam; Hodson; Byrne;  
DESCRIPTION: Seventeen items re the sale of Vicar's Close, Leek. (1) Copy draft contract, dated 4th January 1880, between  Revd. George Edward Deacon MA, Vicar of St. Edward, Leek, with W. Prince of Leek, silk manufacturer, for the sale of a field or close known as Vicars Close in the parish of St. Edward, Leek, and containing two and a half acres. Redfern & Son, Leek. Engrossed 3rd February 1881. Prince paid a deposit of £85 and also had to pay the cost of Lynam's survey, and the Vicar's solicitor's charges. Purchase was to be completed on 25th March at Hodson's office in Lichfield. If completion did not take place on the date specified, then Prince was to pay interest at 4% on the outstanding sum. The land was tenanted and it was stated that the tenant would quit on Lady Day.  (2) Plan showing Vicars Close.  (3)  Lynam's Valuation of Vicars Close, Leek dated 24th September 1880. The land was near Leek railway station and had a considerable frontage to the turnpike road. It was elevated and had a dry and sound sub-soil. C. Lynam of Stoke on Trent, thought the site "well adapted for building". If divided into 5 lots and offered for building each would bring in a ground rent of £10 per annum. Valued at 20 years purchase this would make its value £1000 but would take time and cost and the value of the land at the present time would thus be £850.   (4) Letter dated 8th March 1881 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. Mentions a deed executed by the Vicar which he hopes the Bishop will execute  the following day. 5) Letter dated 14th March 1881 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. Redfern's client was away from home and Hodson wanted to know when he would return so that he could obtain an order for payment.(6) Letter dated 13th March 1880 from Frederick Thatcher, The Close, Lichfield to the Reverend G.E. Deacon at Leek. Requests a tracing from the tithe map showing the land in question. (7) Letter dated 8 May 1880 from Edward Heaton  of Endon to Thomas Redfern of Leek re meeting. (8) Letter dated 19th May 1880 from Edward Heaton  of Endon to Thomas Redfern of Leek re Vicar's Close. Heaton stated he had looked over the field with a view to providing a valuation. The area of the land was 1, 828 square yards and the rent was £6 per annum - "a very inadequate one" in Heaton's view. "Much more might be obtained if utilised for garden purposes".  His estimate of the current value was a/6 per square yard or £887 : 2s : 0d.  "No doubt a desirable acquisition to your client's adjoining property".  "The opportunity of purchasing should not be missed". 9) Letter dated 5th August 1880 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. Simply mentions he would be dealing with the sale. 10) Letter dated 12th August 1880 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. Suggests C. Lynam the best man to be the diocesan surveyor and asked Redfern's opinion.  11) Letter dated 131st August 1880 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. Bishop was away and Hodson had had difficulty obtaining his signature for Lynam's appointment. But he had and had sent the appointment to the Vicar of St. Edward. Leek for the same  purpose. 12) Letter dated 2nd  September 1880 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. Fully signed appointment to hand and he had written to Lynam to carry out the survey.  (13) Letter dated 3 September 1880 from C. Lynam, Stoke on Trent to Redfern & Son, Leek. Simply informs Redfern that he had received his appointment from Hodson and would travel over to Leek the following Tuesday by the 2.45 train. (14) Letter dated 12th August 1880 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Diocesan Registry, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. It accompanied Lynam's report. Hodson mentioned that Lynam valued the land at £850 " £150 more than is offered by your client". Hodson though it Improbable that the Commissioners would accept less than £850.  (15) Letter dated 12th October 1880 from J. Prince of Bath Street, Leek to Redfern & Son, Leek. States he would purchase the land at the sum named. He wanted to know how soon he could take possession "I should like it as soon as possible".  (16) Letter dated 14th August 1880 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors.  He was to present Redfern's letter to the Bishop and find out whether or not he   would accept Lynam's report "without issuing a Commission of Inquiry".  (17) Letter dated Cheddleton, Staffordshire; 18th October 1880 from Hubert C. Hodson, The Close, Lichfield (the Vicar's solicitor) to Redfern & Son, of Leek, solicitors. "The Bishop has seen your letter of the 13th and has this matter in consideration".

REFERENCE: 1424  
PLACES:  Cheddleton, Staffordshire;
PERSONS
: Challinor; Powys; Adams; Parker;  
DESCRIPTION: Copy reference to Southlow Farm, Cheddleton dated 2 May 1878. Lists fields giving names and acreages and includes an exception to "two springs of water arising and being on the North Eastern corner…." the water from which flowed into Southlow Pool "for the supply of certain corn mills called the New Mills " formerly belonging to William Adams and sold with the farm by the trustees under Adams' will to William Parker Esquire. Notes at the bottom state (amongst other things) that " the quarry was then(1837) waste and shortly afterwards the Revd. Powys enclosed and planted it and  

REFERENCE: 1425  
PLACES: Leek, Onecote, Meerbrook, Rushton, Endon, Lichfield, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Challinor; Flint; Argyles; Redmayne; Beresford; Smith;  
DESCRIPTION: Ten letters or copy letters re charities and churches all dated 1906. (1) Copy letter dated 2 February 1906 from Revd. W. Beresford to W. Challinor of Leek re the rules of Queen Anne's Bounty on limits to grants to benefices in any year.  (2) Is a further copy of (1). (3) Letter dated 23 July 1906 from W. Smith of 23 Queen Street, Leek to F.A.Argyles concerning  alterations that "they" had been called upon to do to the Ball Haye Green School and asking for assistance towards the cost. (4 & 5) Copy letter dated 26th July 1906 from Challinor to Mr Redmayne of Lichfield concerning Elizabeth Flint's will. It mentions an offer by the executors of £300 to the church of All Saints, Leek, and offers "out of the general residuary fund of £300 each to Endon, Rushton, Meerbrook and Onecote churches.  (6) Part of letter dated 21st September 1906 from Sir Thomas Wardle re Warslow Church. It was accompanied by "Lynam's sketch" which Wardle was returning. He said he had spoken to a Mr T. Robinson but that "the Sutton Charity funds are now pretty low". "No probability the trustees being able to do anything with regard to it".  Funds available under Miss Flint's will for places outside Leek old parish and Hartington do not exceed £1000.  (7) Letter dated 23 September 1906 from the Revd. Arthur Peters of Onecote Vicarage to J.Challinor, Leek . States they were making a great effort to restore the church. Extensive work needed and the church roof was the object of their attention. They were doing all they could to raise funds by subscriptions, sales of work, etc. He asked Challinor to consider helping to raise the £600 needed to carry out all they hoped to do.  Challinor sent a cheque for £10.  (8) Letter dated 8 October 1906 from J. Challinor, Leek to the Revd. J. Morris at Endon Vicarage. In the case of Miss Flint's charity  "would be inclined to offer liberally with regard to Endon".