Bednall Collection Pt 1: No.s 1126 to 1150 

The Bednall Archive 

Last updated 04/05/2004


REFERENCE: 1126  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire; Southport, Lancashire;  
PERSONS: Redfern; Lightfoot; Beaumont; Hacker; Allen;  
DESCRIPTION: Copy draft settlement made on the marriage of Thomas Redfern and Miss Frances Sophia Lightfoot, both of Leek, Staffordshire, dated 223 August 1868. Hacker & Allen, Leek.  Other parties to the settlement were: Henry Lightfoot of Leek, wine merchant and Samuel Beaumont of Southport, Lancashire who were the trustees of the settlement. The funds of the trust were £2446- 16s -2d worth of £3per cent Consolidated Bank annuities purchased with £2300 belonging to Frances Sophia Lightfoot. The trust was for the sole benefit of Frances Sophia for her life and then for the benefit of the couple's children.  

REFERENCE: 1127  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Maddock; Lancelot; Mott;  
DESCRIPTION: Extract from the will of Mrs Mary Maddock, widow. dated 5th March 1781. In her will, Mary Maddock the Elder, of Leek, widow, bequeathed her house with the part of the garden and premises thereto belonging to it, in Leek, which was in the possession of Mr Henry Yeomans, plus a croft of 0.5 acres "lately laid upon a piece of land" on the west side belonging to her house and then in the holding of Ralph Waller, to her daughter Mary Maddock for her natural life. This property was said to have bees "formerly in the hands of my late father Richard Lancellot deceased".  The bequest was for her daughter's sole and separate use and was not to be subject to  "the power of control, debts or disposal of any husband or husbands that she might hereafter marry".  After her daughter's death, the property was to go to the testator's grand daughter Mary Maddock and her heirs but if Mary had no heirs, then it was to go to the testator's other grand daughter Catherine Maddock and her heirs.  The will was proved at Lichfield on 1st August 1782.  

REFERENCE: 1128  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Davenport; Joinson; Fowler; Brentnall; Jackson; Phillips; Cutting; Clewlow; Allen; Gaunt; Lancellot; Morgan; Cruso; Challinor;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft declaration [two copies] by Uriah Davenport of Leek, Staffordshire, yeoman, dated 13th July 1847. Francis Cruso. Davenport declared that he was 77 years of age and that he knew certain houses on the north side of Stockwell Street in Leek (shown in plan) well In about 1782 when he was 12 years old he was apprenticed to Mr John Joinson of Leek, joiner, who was his uncle. He served several years apprenticeship at his shop situated at the north end of the premises and from that period up to 1807 when Mr Joinson sold the premises to John Fowler deceased, he (Joinson) was always considered the owner of the premises.  The house marked 1 was, in about 1792, occupied by the Revd. Thomas Clewlow and that marked 2 was occupied by Thomas Allen, Davenport's schoolmaster. .  In about 1807 the latter house was occupied by Thomas Sheldon.   When the property was sold by his uncle, one of the other houses belonging to Mr Joinson was occupied by Mary Phillips and a portion of another was used by Davenport himself as a shop. But he couldn't remember the names of the tenants of the remainder of Mr Joinson's houses at that time.  Some time before 1800 one house was considered to belong to James Jackson an organist, and was occupied by John Gaunt and afterwards by Jonathan Jackson and subsequently (about 1807)  by Richard Cutting when James Jackson lived in Yorkshire..  When Davenport first knew them, the premises lined in blue on the plan were considered to belong to Captain Lancellot and afterwards to a Mrs Sarah Brentnall. About 1807, the house on the west was occupied by Charles Morgan an excise man and that on the East by Samuel Phillips..  The yard, garden and appurtenances belonging to the property were always considered as belonging to Joinson, Jackson and Mrs Brentnall in undivided shares.  Davenport remembered the  property well because after his apprenticeship he used to visit Mr Joinson and his son Thomas and help them as joiners in their shop.  (The last few words were crossed out and " his business of a carpenter.." added.)    The plan shows Mrs Brentnall's house fronting Stockwell Street and Joinson's and Jackson's premises on the north side of and behind.  

REFERENCE: 1129  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Davenport; Cruso; Hulme; Fowler; Leigh; Key; Daintry; Strangman; Brindley; Debank; Sleigh; Hyde;  
DESCRIPTION: Declaration by John Cruso, the Elder, of Leek, Staffordshire, as to the identity of a piece of land at Barn Gates, Leek, dated January 1841. Cruso, Leek.  Cruso stated that he was in his 90th year of age and that he had resided in Leek for upwards of  ...years.  That he knew two pieces of land on the south side of and fronting the road leading from Leek to Westwood, one called the Stable Field with a garden at the southerly end which contained about 1acres 1r  27p,  the other called the Dragon Croft of about 1acre  1r  22p.  He said he had often been involved as a solicitor in the letting of lands adjoining the two pieces.  He said he knew and was personally acquainted with John Davenport formerly of Ball Hay near Leek, Attorney at Law who died in about 1785.  Davenport was the reputed owner of the Stable Field and Dragon Croft at the time of his death. Cruso also knew and became acquainted with James Hulme heretofore of Leek when he lived at Ball Haye and who was the nephew of John Davenport. Hulme had owned the two fields since Davenport's death. Cruso said that he had in his possession as trustee under the will of Michael Daintry, the original deed of conveyance dated 22 October 1765 from Laurence Stanley and others to William Key, Button Merchant of a piece of land called the Ell situate in Leek and adjoining the north side of the Stable Field and garden.. Cruso then quotes  the definition of the Ell from a deed and this states that it was formerly in the occupation of Widow Brindley, contained two day work of land and was bounded on the north and west by the lands of John Davenport and the lands of William Key and Francis Leigh, on the south and east sides "and the two ends thereof" by the lands of Joshua Strangman and William Hyde.    Cruso also had in his possession as trustee the original deed of conveyance  dated 28 June 1782  from William Key, a bankrupt and his assignees of the Ell  to Mr John Davenport .   The Ell is described in this document as being part of the estate and inheritance of William Key, formerly in the occupation of Widow Brindley, late of William Key but now of Samuel Sleigh. The Ell measured 3 acres and 9p and was "laid to a field called The Well Field also purchased by John Davenport from Henry Fowler and Simon Debank bounded on the North by the lands of John Davenport on the south and east by the lands of Joshua Strangman on the west by the said Well Field.  

REFERENCE: 1130  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Davenport; Challinor; Shaw; Bowcock; Brealey; Wooley; Phillips; Walwyn; Carding; Fergyson; Grace;  
DESCRIPTION: Sales brochure giving particulars for the sale of offices, shops, land and other premises on Stockwell Street in Leek, Staffordshire which was to be auctioned at the Red Lion  on the 8th December 1910. Challinor & Shaw. It is a signed copy and has a plan of the property concerned.  The property was No's 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 Stockwell Street. Lot one comprised no.s 1 and 3  which were occupied by J.W.Wooley and Mrs Bowcock. Wooley's property had, for more than 50 years, been occupied by Messrs Challinor & Shaw and the late John Brealey.   Mrs Bowcock's premises comprised  a grocer's shop with a bow fronted window.  

REFERENCE: 1131  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Fallon; Robinson; Beacham; Goldstraw; Mollatt;  
DESCRIPTION: 2 letters  from the W. E. Beacham, Surveyor & Waterworks Engineer to the Leek Urban District Council to Thomas Robinson of Leek in the matter of Fallon versus the Council.     (1)Letter dated 29 September  1904 from Thomas Robinson to W.E. Beacham stating Mr Fallon would exchange "blue for green" on the new St. Edward Street plan provided the entry is made 3 feet clear all through with a decent gradient and the line between the two properties is made straight on a give and take principle and his costs are paid.. Mr Fallon stipulated that the owners of Mollatt's houses and land and the Post Office release any right of way over the use of the entry. The Council were asked to make good any damage to Mr Fallon's house by the removal of Mrs Goldstraw's house.   (2) Letter dated 30 September 1904 which acknowledges receipt of a letter in which Mr Fallon stated the terms Mr Fallon was prepared to accept for exchanging land with the council for the purpose of the New Post Office.  

REFERENCE: 1132  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Howard; Fergyson; Overfield; Eaton; Carding; Rendell.  
DESCRIPTION: (1) Draft, printed, assignment from William Jarvis Howard of the Market Place, Leek, ironmonger, to Dennis Fergyson of Leek, auctioneer, valuer and estate agent, as Trustee for the benefit of Creditors, dated 29 January 1903.  The document mentions a "Committee of Inspection" whose members were William Alfred Overfield, cabinet maker and upholsterer, William H. Eaton, stationer, and Micah Carding, Painter and decorator. (2) Note from George Barton of Moseley Street, Birmingham, Director of Huxley Barton & Sons, Ltd to Dennis Fergyson of Leek, Staffordshire re W. J. Howard of Leek, ironmonger, dated 3 March 1903. Barton assents to the deed of assignment executed by the debtor on 29 January 1903.  

REFERENCE: 1133  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Badnall; Challinor; Shaw; Dakeyne; Fowler; Gaunt;  
DESCRIPTION: (1) Case for Mr W.B.Badnall's opinion on the Highfield Hall Estate, Challinor & Shaw, Leek, Staffordshire-undated. Concerns demand from purchaser for a conveyance from John Gaunt's family and Mrs Dakeyne for their shares in the property bequeathed under Mrs Fowler's will dated 6 November 1838. (2) Signed and stamped (large receipt 1d blue) Receipt from John Gaunt for £378-10s-10d for his share under his mother's will 11 June 1855.    

REFERENCE: 1134  
PLACES:  Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Eccles; Nicholson; Pickford; Gravier; Cope; Brookes;  Garner; Moorcroft; Bladon; Nott; Robinson;  
DESCRIPTION: Papers (11 items) concerning the Leek Benevolent Burial Society, registered office : Congregational School Room, Russell Street, Leek,  including an amendment to the rules, appointment of a new secretary, and draft application to the Registrar of Friendly Societies, instructions as to amendments, and a reply to the registrar.  1909.  

REFERENCE: 1135  
PLACES:  Leek, Staffordshire; Tottenham, London; Macclesfield, Cheshire;  
PERSONS: Bowers; Cruso; Badnall; Walmsley; Barnett; Draeske; Spilsbury;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft conveyance from John Cruso to  William Beaumont Badnall in favour of the trustees of Mr & Mrs Bower's marriage settlement and Benjamin Spilsbury [crossed out after Cruso and to Charles George Draeske inserted]  of Lands in Leek 1853. Challinor, Badnall & Challinor.  The original deed was between (1) John Cruso, (2)Elizabeth wife of Thomas Bowers of Leek, Silk Manufacturer; (3) C. G. Draeske of Broad street, London and William Barnett of Macclesfield, Silk Dyer, ( 4) Benjamin Spilsbury of Tottenham, Middlesex and William Beaumont Badnall and cited a deed of marriage settlement made between Elizabeth Walmsley, spinster, and Thomas Bowers, Draeske and Barnet drawn up in 1847.  In the latter, Draeske and Barnett had contracted with Cruso for the absolute sale of part of the property and annuities concerned.  The property involved was a piece of land at the top of Strangman's Walk in Leek on part of which a shade or shed had previously been erected for the twisting of silk and also two cottages  which were converted  by John Cruso (near unto two dwellings and also a summer house lately stood the other part of which was lately occupied as a garden. Also another plot on the westwardly side of the first plot which was once part of a close called Nixhill.  

REFERENCE: 1136  
PLACES:  Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Astles; Grosvenor; Gaunt; Birch; Macclesfield; Best; Hacker; Cruso; Tatler; Birch; Brentnall; Heaton;  
DESCRIPTION: (1) Signed statutory declaration of Mrs Fenton Grosvenor, widow, in George Nathaniel Best to Josiah Astles 30 September 1847. Hacker & Allen, Leek, Staffordshire. Mrs Grosvenor stated that she had known a piece of land near the Brick Kiln on Leek Moor, which was offered for sale on 22 June 1847, for more than  25 years. Her husband, whom she married in 1821, had been the owner of the land and was so at the time he died.  Her husband never paid any acknowledgment to the Earl of Macclesfield or his steward or agent ,John Cruso the Elder, and (after his death) his son John Cruso the younger, for the land.   She remembered her husband applying to the  Earl to exchange the land  for a piece at the bottom of Derby Street on which a blacksmiths shop then stood which is now used as a cattle and pig market. John Cruso consented to make the exchange and Charles Heaton of Endon carried out the valuation work. The exchange was not carried out because wanted a cattle market. In his will her husband devised the piece of land on Leek Moor to his sister Sarah Brentnall. Her husband died on 31 December 1831. Sarah Brentnall devised the same land to her first cousin George Nathaniel Best. The land was sold at auction to Josiah Astles of Leek, silk manufacturer.  (2) Letter dated 27 July 1847 from Hacker & Bloor to John Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire asking if he would be prepared to make a statutory declaration in the transaction between Best & Astle and as mentioned in William Challinor's letter on the back of which Hacker & Allen had written their letter. Challinor had advised that a declaration should be obtained to determine whether or not any Lord of the Manor was tenant in tail or  simply tenant for life.  

REFERENCE: 1137  
PLACES:  Leek, Barlaston, Chesterton, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Mills; Godwin; Cruso; Barnett; Mycock; Gleaves; Hobson; Matthews; Brook; Venables; Cappy; Salt; Clulow; Shaw; Dunn; Syms; Hancock;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft deed appointing Mr John Cruso of Leek, Staffordshire receiver of James Godwin's mortgage to Miss Hester Mills for £60 , 37 Geo. 3rd.,  1797.  Mills & Cruso, Leek, Staffordshire. The indenture was made between (1) James Godwin of Chesterton, Staffordshire , (2) Hester Mills of Barlaston, Staffordshire, (3) John Cruso of Leek. This recites an indenture of lease and release dated 19/20th May 1795 made between (1) Revd. Peter Walthall of Bakewell, Derbyshire, (2) James Godwin, (3) James Godwin of Newcastle under Lyme, butcher, only son of James Godwin,  and  (4) Hester Mills, in which Walthall sold and Godwin transferred or set over to Hester Mills the property listed on the attached schedule  including property at Chesterton known as Waterfall Green, to hold for 999 years. The other property included : a newly erected house belonging to the Mayor, Bailiffs and Burgesses of Newcastle under Lyme  which had been devised by them to Godwin for 999 years at a rent of £2-18s- 0d. It also included all those newly erected houses in Chesterton occupied by Messrs Syms & Matthews, James Venables, James Beech, Mary Cappy, at  annual rents of  £2-5s-0d each,  a house and garden in  Chesterton occupied by William Hancock at a yearly rent of £3-7s-6d ; a house in Chester occupied by Thomas Hobson -rent £2-5s-od; a house in Chesterton occupied by Joseph Salt  -rent £5; four houses in Chesterton occupied by Samuel Clulow, Sarah Shaw, Thomas Clulow and Jeremiah Dunn- rent £2-2s-0d each; a house in Chesterton let to the Overseers of the poor of Chesterton- rent £1-6s-0d. The rents amounted£60-6s-6d in all.     The sum of £600 was still owing to Hester Mills and so to ensure regular payment of the interest, the new document was drafted to appoint John Cruso receiver of the rents.  

REFERENCE: 1138  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Challinor; Badnall; Hawley;  
DESCRIPTION: Power of attorney from Joseph Challinor of Leek, Staffordshire, to his brother William Challinor dated 2 January 1858.  Joseph Challinor proposed to leave England for several months and to "manage my concerns as well as those in which I am interested as a partner in the firm of Challinor, Badnall and Challinor" he drew up the power of attorney. Document was signed and witnessed but signature and seal have been cut away. 

REFERENCE: 1139  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Davenport; Grosvenor; Spilsbury; Davenport; Tatler; Astles;  
DESCRIPTION: Declaration by Uriah Davenport of Leek, Staffordshire, joiner, re land near the Brick Kiln on Leek Moor. Dated 8th October 1847. Davenport stated he was 78 years old and had known the land in question for 70 years or more. When he first knew the land it was in the possession of James Spilsbury of Leek, labourer and so continued until about 1797 when Thomas Fenton Grosvenor was in possession of it. Grosvenor held it until the time of his death in 1831, Grosvenor had told him he bought the land from Spilsbury and paid for it in instalments. Davenport said the land had not, to his knowledge, been taken in from the Commons and Waste Lands of the Earl of Macclesfield or any one else but had always been enclosed within his memory. A pencilled note in the margin states "This Spilsbury was a tenant of Lord Macclesfield when he took in the land."  

REFERENCE: 1140  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Challinor; Nixon;  Sugden;  
DESCRIPTION: Bills, etc. for work on Challinor & Co's offices and for the alterations in the Magistrates rooms dated 1888 to 1889. Contains both the quotes for the work, the bills and letters settling the account. There are also letters from William Sugden the architect concerning the quotation by Nixon. (1) Draft stated account dated 7 may 1889 Messrs Challinors & Shaw and W & J. Nixon.  (2) Tender from Nixon for enlarging the magistrates room and converting the basement into a lavatory, etc. to specifications prepared by Messrs Sugden & Son, architects, dated 25 July 1888.  (3) Letter, dated 26 July 1888, from Messrs Sugden & Son, architects to Challinor & Co. commenting on Nixon's estimate and recommending acceptance. (4) Letter, dated 11 April 1889, from Messrs Sugden & Son, architects to Challinor & Co. (5) Final detailed bill listing all work done, materials used, etc.11 March 1889.Signed and stamped.    (6) 4th May 1889 letter from W & J. Nixon to Challinor & Shaw requesting payment of £50 to cover wages , etc.       (7) 6th May 1889 letter from W & J. Nixon to Challinor & Shaw requesting their account against them.   (8)84th May 1889 letter from W & J. Nixon to Challinor & Shaw accepting Challinor & Shaw's bill and asking for payment of the balance between them.  

REFERENCE: 1141  
PLACES:  Leek,  Alstonfield; Horton, Burslem, Staffordshire; London;  
PERSONS: Dakeyne; Gaunt; Fowler; Tomkins; Gourlay; Badnall; Brocklehurst; Bazalgitte; Cranworth; Gold; Atkinson; Chorley; Watt; Bagshaw; Challinor; Towgood; Sneyd; Craig; Allsopp; Hall; Cruso; Wynn; Biddulph;  Clowes; Wright; Allen; Lea; Cutting; Walmsley; Hudson; Bidwell; Ward; Brougham; Redfern;  
DESCRIPTION: 15 documents in the case of Mary Dakeyne versus Charles Flint, John Towgood, and others in Chancery. 1852.  (1)Notice to attend court, transfer £10,859 -15s -5d in Bank Annuities into the hands of the Accountant General of the court and produce documents dated 19 February 1852.   (2) Memorandum for the consideration of Messrs Smeeting & Byrne.  (3) Extracts from instructions for Mr. Matthew Gaunt's answers. The case concerned advances made to Matthew Gaunt  out of his share of his late father John Gaunt's estate and problems arising from Mrs. Fowler' leaving nearly the whole of her private property  to Mrs. Dakeyne "indeed more than the whole as it turns out". Document 3 gives some details of Matthew Gaunt's early life. He was 7 or 8 years old in 1802 when his mother married Mr. Fowler. Gaunt's own father had died in 1800 intestate. Gaunt lived with his mother and stepfather as one of their children  except from 1812 to 1824 which time he spent as follows: in 1812 he was articled to an attorney at Burton on Trent and a premium of 200 Gns. was paid. His articles expired in 1817 and he then went to a conveyancer to whom 200 Gns was paid in fees, £33 advanced for Gaunt's admission as an attorney, £100 more on being admitted a member of Lincoln's Inn and about £100 for the purchase of books. After practicing as a conveyancer in London for 3 years and at his mother and stepfather's request he returned to their house in 1824.(4) Brief in Mary Dakeyne wife of Henry Charles Dakeyne one of the defendants by Thomas Young her next friend plaintiff versus Charles Flint and others defendants  being a Bill filed in Chancery 11 April 1851 with amendments. 54 pages of depositions including four part schedule. Thee is another schedule containing an account monies raised from the sale of estates of late John Fowler, esq. It mentions that Edward Chorley (of unsound mind) was resident in the Oulton Retreat near Stone, Staffordshire. (Document contains errors re date of death of Richard Badnall). (5) Instructions for answers of defendant Matthew Gaunt in Dakeyne v Flint in Chancery 1851-2. (6)) Answer of Matthew Gaunt defendant in Bill of Complaint by Mary Dakeyne wife of Henry Charles Dakeyne  by James Huggins her next friend complainant. 12th June 1851. (7) Copy of the Interrogating Part of The Bill in Dakeyne v Flint in Chancery which the defendants "are required to answer". Contains answers in the margin. (8) Exceptions on Answer as to the chargeability of advancements - Additional Instructions.  (9) Brocklehurst versus Flint - Henry Towgood's Affidavit 26 March 1852.  (10) Office Copy of Certificate for Commission in  Dakeyne versus Flint 23 April 1852.  (11) Order for Transfer into Court and Deposit of Documents in Dakeyne versus Flint 12 Mach 1852. The sum to be deposited in trust  "in this cause" was £10859  : 15 : 5 in  3% Consolidated Annuities.  (12) Three copies of an Order in Dakeyne v Flint to change the defendant William Challinor's solicitors 30 March 1852.  (13) One copy of an Order in Dakeyne v Flint to change the defendant Charles Flint's solicitors 30 March 1852.  

REFERENCE: 1142  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Davenport; Crompton; Challinor; Shaw; Allen;  
DESCRIPTION: 10 documents  dealing with the case in the County Court at Leek, between George Davenport , Plaintiff, and Arthur Crompton, Defendant, for money and interest due on a promissory note (£28-4s-7d). The promissory note is dated 1898 and the case was heard  in September 1903.  (1) Promissory note dated 29 June 1898 at Leek.   (2) Letter from Crompton to Davenport dated 1st July 1900 concerning difficulty in paying the money and  sending £3 in part payment. (3) Letter dated 29 March 1903 from A. Crompton of Shirburn Street, Leek to G. Davenport.  (4)Copy letter dated 8th June [1903?] from Arthur Shaw to A. Crompton stating that Challinors & Shaw had been asked by George Davenport to take action to recover the money owed.  (5) Copy letter dated 30 June [1903?] from Challinor & Shaw to Crompton, requesting payment without fail.  (6) Letter dated 4th July 1903 from A. Crompton to Challinor & Shaw stating he had been endeavouring to scrape together all he could but had only raised £5. He pleaded he couldn't raise any more without selling his furniture  and he did not wish to do that because he had young children to rear. He also said " I have recently had to move from Ashbourne Road to Shirburn Street and you know what  this means". He stated he would pay the whole as soon as he could.  (7) Copy letter dated 9th July [1903?] from Challinor & Shaw to A. Crompton acknowledging receipt of the £5.   (8) Printed summons issued by Challinors & Shaw 22 September 1903.  (9) Printed notice of the payment into court of the whole claim issued by William Allen, Registrar of the Court to the plaintiffs on 3 October 1903. Re. Note of Plaint G654.  

REFERENCE: 1143  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire; Staverton, Gloucester; London;  
PERSONS: Challinor; Moore; Alcock; Corbishley; Paddock;  
DESCRIPTION: Three letters from Edward Challinor at Leek, Staffordshire to John Challenor at The Old Rectory, Staverton, nr. Cheltenham.  (1) 16 April 1899. Mentions an offer of £2500 from Simpson Alcock  "for the house and grounds". Edward recommends acceptance and points out "money is an object to you just now".   (2) 17 August 1899. Mentions visit to London and a conference with Moore " "so that in event of a sale being effected I shall know what position he will take up". He asks John to let him know if he will sell Blackwood Hill.  (3) 15 August 1899 it deals with  the sale of land which formed part of the Blackwood Estate to Empson Alcock for £2500.  The proceeds of the sale (supposing that it went ahead) were to  be used to pay off " Paddock's mortgage", with some money also being paid to Moore, the Bank and to John Challinor.   Negotiations were said to be going on with regard to the sale of Corbishley's Farm which "with Dale House and Park Hayes" was expected to raise £12000.  

REFERENCE: 1144  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire; Manchester; Barnborough, Handsworth, Yorkshire; Coston, Worcestershire;  Ashbourne, Derbyshire;  
PERSONS: Davenport; Cruso; Hulme; Clulow; Fynney; Fletcher; Giffiths; Deaville; Cope; Williamson; Tunnicliffe; Fisher; Wood; Sherratt; Hordern; Jolliffe; Beresford;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft assignment, dated 3 August 1811, of a term of 1000 years in trust to attend an inheritance and covenant by Messrs Clulow & Fletcher to produce title deeds, Messrs Fynney & Hordern (executors of William Challinor, deceased) on the nomination of Messrs Clulow & Fletcher  to John Cruso of Leek.  The indenture was between (1) John Fynney of Leek, Button & Ribbon Merchant and Edward Hordern of Leek, Mercer, (William Challinor's executors), (2) James Clulow of Abbey Farm, Leekfrith, Farmer, Joseph Clulow of Abbey Farm, Leekfrith, Farmer, and John Clulow of Owler Lee Farm Farmer, (3) Joseph Fletcher of Barnswood Farm within Rudyard, Staffordshire, Farmer,  (4) James Hulme of Ball Hay, Leek, Doctor of Physic, nephew and heir at law named in the will of John Davenport late of Ball Hay, (5) John Cruso of Leek.   It recites a mortgage made on 10th May 1782 between (1) John Davenport of Ball Hay,  (2) Revd. John Griffiths of Handsworth, Yorkshire, for £1300. The mortgage was secured on a messuage in Leek Frith where  William Wood had lived and then Miss Clowes called Bottom of the Frith together with lands occupied in part by Wm. Wood and part by his tenant Jeremiah Sherratt and were then in the possession of John Davenport, Miss Clowes and of James Hulme. Also Green Lane Farm where  Jeremiah Sherratt and then James Hulme had lived;  Isaac Tunnicliffe's farm called Stock Meadow which had previously been two farms called Stock Meadow and Mill Hierns or Milne Irons  or Mill Holmes respectively. And also various named lands in Leekfrith together with the lane from Barley Croft Head to the further end of Stock Meadow, Milne Irons etc. the total amounting to 200 acres.  John Davenport devised all his real and personal estates to Isaac Cope of Leek, surgeon, and Joseph Mellor of Leek, merchant and their heirs, in trust to create one yearly income which was to be divided into 4 parts. Two parts were to go to the testator's wife for her life, one part to Lucy Cope daughter of Isaac Cope for life and the fourth part to be applied to the maintenance, education and upbringing of his nephew James Hulme, son  of the testator's sister Sarah Hulme. All the residue and remainder he gave to his nephew and his heirs.  Griffith died after making a will dated 9th November 1763 and the interest in the 1000 year term became vested in his widow Henrietta of Barnborough Hall, Yorkshire. She agreed to assign this to William Challinor in trust for  Cope and Mellor.   William Challinor appointed John Fynney and Edward Hordern his executors in his will dated 4 March 1800.  Lucy Cope had made an indenture of release on 26 March with Edward Sikes Mellor, late of Leek, but now of Manchester, cotton manufacturer, and James Hulme of Ball Haye, Dr. of Physic, and John Cruso. which stated that Isaac Cope died about December 1801 leaving Joseph Mellor his trustee and executor. Joseph Mellor died intestate leaving Edward Sikes Mellor his only son and heir. Hannah Davenport died on 5th February 1808 and James Hulme had persuaded Lucy Cope to give up her 1/4 part of the income etc. in return for Hulme granting her a rent of £75 per year for life.  The lands which Hulme named as security for this rent included  land in Tittesworth lately purchased by James Hulme from Thomas Mills.   A deed of Lease and release drawn up between Hulme and the Clulows on 1/2 August  describes the property as " "messuage, mansion or dwelling house situate, etc. in the Township of Leek Frith and in the parish of Leek aforesaid  erected by William Wood therein mentioned and wherein  he did inhabit and dwell and which was afterwards in the occupation of Miss Clowes and commonly called or known by the name of Bottom o'th Frith".  It was later occupied by Joseph Deaville. Field names and acreages are given. A schedule of deeds is appended the first of which dated 23 July 1737 between Thomas Jolliffe of Coston, Worcs, and Wm. Wood of Leek. 

REFERENCE: 1145  
PLACES: Leek, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Gaunt; Cave; Adderley; Kynnersley; Fowler; Wooliscroft; Harrison; Sutton; Wardle; Goodwin; Plant; Moore; Johnson; Lockett; Hammersley; Swan; Mills; Parker; Wells; Yates; Fenton; Hippersley; Davies; Bagnall; Edensor; Bennett; Wedgwood; Cotton; Every; Abney; Houghton; Mainwaring; Beard; Fletcher; Heaton; Gilbert; Jennings; Cruso; Marston; Sneyd; Broughton; Flint;  Austin; Coupland; Gease; Salt;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft abstract of the conveyance and mortgage of Highfield Hall, Leek, Staffordshire of 1834 and mortgage of 1850. Dated December 1870.

REFERENCE: 1146  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: See also BC/1145.  Bowcock; Hyden; Gibson; Gesson; Wood; Austin; Nixon; Rowlands; Bramhall; Clulow; Stonier;; Hyden; Beardmore; Alcock; Dunn; Washington; Furby; Tatton; Beardmore; Robinson; Shaw; Grant; Plant; Woolfe; Sleigh; Rogers;
DESCRIPTION: Continuation of BC/1145.  

REFERENCE: 1147  
PLACES:  Leek,  Kerridge, Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Nixon; Challinor;  Shaw; Newall; Howard;  
DESCRIPTION: Two documents relating to the bills of W & F. Nixon for work carried out by them for Challinors & Shaw.  (1) 19 July 1888. Bill for  building new water closet at Springfields. This gives details not only the work carried out but also lists the materials used, hours worked and all costs. Receipted with stamp and signature.  (2) 8 May 1889 General bill listing all the things mentioned in (1). Much of the work seems to relate to improvements to offices probably No. 30 Derby Street, Leek. Includes floor laying, repairing and rehanging doors, furniture repair, glazing work, brick laying, work in the cellar and in Mr Howards and Mr Shaw's offices, in Newall's room. Materials used included Roach stone, Kerridge flags, Minton tiles,  

REFERENCE: 1148  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS: Johnson; Shaw; Allen;  
DESCRIPTION: James Johnson's quote to William Allen, solicitor, St. Edwards Street, Leek. for painting Mr Shaw's house outside, the farm house and outbuildings and a cottage adjoining. (£7-8-0). The house might have been Springfields, which Shaw leased from William Allen -see BC/1149.  

REFERENCE: 1149  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire;  
PERSONS:  Shaw; Allen;  
DESCRIPTION: Two letters to Thomas Shaw of Leek re the leasing of Springfields, Leek, Staffordshire.  (1) 13 July 1888 from William Allen returning Shaw's draft lease and stating he (Allen) cannot make the rent of the cottages less than £16 per annum.  (2)  17 July 1888 Accompanying a draft of an engrossed lease of Springfields and premises for Shaw to engross the counterpart.  

REFERENCE: 1150  
PLACES:  Leek,  Staffordshire; Macclesfield, Cheshire;  
PERSONS: Challinor; Badnall; Gaunt; Higginbotham; Mellor; Davies; Jebb; Twemlow;  
DESCRIPTION: Draft assignment  of a silk factory in Macclesfield, Cheshire, from Miss Ellen Gaunt of Leek, Staffordshire, spinster, to John Higginbotham of Macclesfield, silk manufacturer, dated 9th March 1853.   It cites an indenture dated 28 February 1824 between(1)  Joshua Jebb and Francis Twemlow,  (2)  David Davies,  (3) Micah Mellor and John Mellor, by which (1) and (2) devised to (3) a plot of land forming part of Lower Dams in Macclesfield, at or near a place called the Dams. The site marked out extended 40 yards along Elizabeth Street on the Northeast side and 39 yards 28inches on the Northwest side against land belonging to David Davies including the width of the Dams brook,  40 yards along Union Street at the Southend and 40 yards and 8 inches, including the width of the Brook, along Statham Street. Total area 1476 square yards and a quarter. The Mellors were to hold the property on a 999 year lease at a rent of £22 -19s -7.75d.  The plot eventually became vested in Miss Ellen Gaunt for the residue of the 999 year lease for her own use and benefit.  John Higginbotham contracted with her for the absolute purchase of the residue of the lease for £2900.  A crossed out note in the margin adds " warehouse, shop and factory, and the buildings, conveniences and works on the said plot. This later reappears in the main
description of the property with the addition of " now used as a silk warehouse and factory..  ". The lease also included the steam engine, machinery, gearing, throwing engines.  The lease was also subject to the payment of the rent previously mentioned and other covenants.  

                                         © awbednall, macclesfield 2000