Bednall Collection: No.s 926 to 950

The Bednall Archive 

Last updated 04/05/2004


REFERENCE 926 LOCATION Box 16 Trunk 2

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Challinor; Shaw; Davenport; Bloor; Ridout; Fynney; Brealey; Jackson; Needham; Brunt; Lockett;

DESCRIPTION Press copy abstract of title, dated 1899, of the surviving trustees under the will of the late William Davenport to a messuage or dwelling house situate and being No. 21 Market Street, Leek, Staffordshire.

 

REFERENCE 927 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Stevenson; Henshaw;

DESCRIPTION Copy of agreement , dated 17 June 1837, between William Henshaw and Solomon Stevenson re 3 houses in the Pig Market, Leek, Staffordshire owned by Henshaw and an adjoining property owned by Stevenson. The agreement was for one to either buy or sell the other's property (his own property) from (or to) the other. Prices in case of dispute to be determined by John Leech, Land Valuer of Leek. The purchase was to be completed by 1st August. The signature of Solomon Stevenson was witnessed  by William Beaumont Badnall.
Page 252

 

REFERENCE 928 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Ford; Coupland; Hammersley; Challinor; Shaw;

DESCRIPTION Printed document, dated 2 June 1863, containing a schedule of deeds to a house and land in Stockwell Street and Ford Street, Leek, Staffordshire belonging to William Beaumont Badnall of Leek, which had been deposited with the Leek & Moorlands Permanent Benefit Building Society to whom the property was mortgaged. The deeds begin with one dated 8 June 1786 Purchase deed to seat Lot No. 3 at the West End of the Middle Isle in Leek Church and include: a deed dated 14 July 1808 Penruddock & Others to Ford -Grant of a sitting in Pew No. 16 in Leek Church; a further deed 18 December 1830 Ford's Trustees to Coupland -Lease of Capital Messuage in Stockwell St. Leek. Subsequent deeds, dated 14 October 1862 and 17 April 1863, relate to an agreement for sale and purchase between George Hammersley, William Challinor and Thomas Shaw on the one hand and W. B. Badnall on the other.

 

REFERENCE 929 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire; London; Dover, Kent;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Northcott; Wilson; Lunn; Challinor; Shaw;

DESCRIPTION Draft marriage settlement, dated 6 June 1898, relating to the marriage of Miss Evelyn Elizabeth Badnall of 26 Kensington Court Gardens, London, to Frank Leonard Northcott of Rochester House, South Ealing, Middlesex, Captain in Her Majesty's 9th Norfolk Regiment. Challinors & Shaw, Leek, Staffordshire. The parties to the document were (1) Miss Evelyn Elizabeth Badnall; (2) Frank Leonard Northcott; (3) Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson of Ennismore House, Salisbury Road, Dover, Kent, Civil Engineer and John Reuben Lunn of Marylebone Infirmary and of Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill, Surgeon, ( The Trustees). The value of stocks listed in the schedule was 2289. William Beaumont Badnall was witness to the document.

 

REFERENCE 930 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire; London; Dover, Kent;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Northcott; Wilson; Lunn; Challinor; Shaw;

DESCRIPTION First draft marriage settlement, dated 1898, on the marriage of Miss Evelyn Elizabeth Badnall of 26 Kensington Court Gardens, London, to Frank Leonard Northcott of Rochester House, South Ealing, Middlesex, Captain in Her Majesty's 9th Norfolk Regiment .Challinors & Shaw, Leek, Staffordshire. See also Bed. Co.. 929. The parties to the document were (1) Miss Evelyn Elizabeth Badnall; (2) Frank Leonard Northcott; (3) Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson of Ennismore House, Salisbury Road, Dover, Kent, Civil Engineer and John Reuben Lunn of Marylebone Infirmary and of Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill, Surgeon, ( The Trustees). Shorthand notes on last page.
Page 253

 

REFERENCE 931 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire; Wavertree, Lancashire; Stockton upon Tees, Durham.

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall;

DESCRIPTION Draft, dated May 1846, of the will of the Reverend William Badnall of Wavertree, Lancaster, Clerk. Engrossed 30 May 1846. Bequests include : to his son William Wykeham Badnall the silver tea urn which formerly belonged to the testator's mother. All the rest, residue, etc. he gave to his nephews Hopkins Badnall of Stockton upon Tees, Durham, Clerk and William Beaumont Badnall of Leek, Staffordshire, Gentleman, their heirs, executors and administrators upon trust to first pay of his debts and then to enable his wife Elizabeth to enjoy the use of his furniture, and books and to receive the rents and dividends of his real and personal estate for life so long as she continues "my widow". The trustees were empowered to convert part of the estate into money and invest the proceeds should his widow require them to. His widow was to have the additional benefit for life on the previous terms but after her death or on her 2nd marriage, the trustees were to apply the monies for the maintenance, benefit and advancement of his children Mary Elizabeth, William Wykeham, James Arthur Robert and Harriet Martha, until the youngest child reached the age of 21. The estate was then to be sold and the monies raised divided equally between his children. If any of his children had died then their children were to receive the dead parent's share. His manuscripts, books, etc. were to be equally divided between his children.. He appointed his two previously mentioned nephews as his executors. 

 

REFERENCE 932 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire; Wavertree, Lancashire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Cruso;

DESCRIPTION Draft will, dated 1843, of Mrs. Sarah Badnall of Liverpool, Lancashire, widow. Cruso, Leek, Staffordshire. She bequeathed a piano forte to her daughter Henrietta. All her household goods, plate, furniture and books and all her other personal estate and effects she bequeathed to John Cruso of Leek and the Reverend William Badnall of Wavertree near Liverpool, clerk, upon trust. The trustees had unfettered discretion to sell or dispose of her furniture and effects and convert the same into money or to permit her daughter Henrietta to enjoy some or all of it in order to furnish a house and home for her and the testator's three sons Thomas, Joseph and Rathbone until their decease or marriage. It was her wish that her plate and books should not be sold but should be retained for the use of her daughter until her marriage. They were then to be divided between all her children or their issue. She appointed Cruso and Badnall who were "trustees and guardians of the persons and fortunes of my children during their minority" to be executors of her will.

 

REFERENCE 933 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall;

DESCRIPTION Acetates on the Badnalls of Ashenhurst near Leek, Staffordshire.

 

REFERENCE 934 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall;

DESCRIPTION Seven photocopies of parts of the large scale (1 in 500) Ordnance Survey map of Staffordshire (Northern Division) Sheet VII 5.24 dated 1879. They show property owned by the Badnall family of Leek in the 18th and early 19th centuries.
Page 254

 

REFERENCE 935 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Congleton, Swettenham, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brookes; Sherrard; Herbert; Parry; Antrobus; Shelley;

DESCRIPTION Copy of the inventory, dated 31 May 1721 , and admon papers for Sarah Brookes of Congleton, spinster. Sarah was daughter of Anne Brookes of Congleton, widow. The value of her inventory was 108 -13s -4d of which 93 -7s -0d was in ready cash, debts by note , debts upon simple contracts and her wearing apparel (5). Her inventory was drawn up by John Antrobus and Jack Shelley. Her house had 7 rooms and a wash house.

 

REFERENCE 936 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Congleton, Biddulph, Cheshire; Whitgreave, Butterton, Bridgford, Walton by Stone, Salton, Marstone, Chell, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Wolrich; Jackson; Stonier; Endon; Throp; Keene; Ward; Lycett; Till; Amery; Bayley; Sutton; Bourne; Milnes; Stratford; Roberts; Hordern; Hobson; Toft;

DESCRIPTION Copy of the will, dated 2 September 1718, of Thomas Wolrich of Congleton, Cheshire, Gentleman, husband of Anne Wolrich and son of Elizabeth Wolrich. He bequeathed to his mother " all those parts of my messuage, burgage or dwelling wherein I now inhabit and dwell, that is the Kitchin, passage chamber, red-chamber, Kitchin-chamber, store-chamber, the chamber my wife and I now lie in and the brew-house together with the conveniences in the out buildings belonging to the said messuage ...," for laying up hay and tying up a cow with liberty also to take the pump and house of ease to hold to her...during the term of her life." All the rest of the property he gave to his wife for life. If his wife was not satisfied with that then he gave her a part of the house which he had recently built in Moody Street, Congleton. After the "determination of their respective estates", he gave the premises to John Sutton of Endon, Staffordshire, John Jackson of Congleton, alderman, and Ralph Stonier of Biddulph, Staffs., in trust for two hundred years and after the expiration of that period or the earlier determination of the term, to his son Thomas Wolrich and his heirs. If his son had no heirs, then the testator's daughters, Sarah and Mary Wolrich, their heirs and assigns were to benefit. If his wife did not claim his new house, it was to become part of the trust and then devolve in the same way. His manor of Whitgreave in Staffordshire and his lands and property in Whitgreave, Butterton, Bridgford, Walton by Stone, Salton, Marstone and elsewhere in Staffordshire now or late in the holding of Thomas Ward, William Lycett, John Till, William Ward and Humphrey Amery, and his two fields in Congleton which he had recently purchased from William Hobson, a meadow purchased from William Bayley, Gent., land in Congleton which he purchased from John Toft, alderman and a barn and orchard bought from Isaac Hordern were also granted to his trustees. The trustees were required to pay his mother an annuity of 20 clear of all taxes by quarterly instalments; and while they were still under age, to pay 13 -10s a year to his daughter Sarah and 11 -10s a year to his daughter Mary for their education, maintenance and clothing. When the testator's daughters came of age the trustees were to raise money to pay 270 to Sarah and 230 to Mary and, if his son Thomas or any of his issue was living, they were also to pay 100 to his daughter Ann when she reached 21. If Thomas was dead and had no issue, Ann was to receive 300. When theses monies were paid and all debts discharged, the terms of 200 years, etc. were to determine. The custody and tuition of his son and of his daughters Sarah and Mary, was given to Sutton, Jackson, Stonier and to William Bourne the younger, of Little Chell, Staffs. The will was witnessed by Thomas Endon, Peter Throp and Thomas Keene. John Sutton also renounced his executorship on 2 April 1719 so that the will could be proved by Jackson & Stonier. His witnesses were Matthew Milnes and Ralph Bourne. The will was proved on 24 April 1719 by Jackson & Stonier.

 

REFERENCE 937 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Congleton, Cheshire; Wolstanton; Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Wolrich; Bourne; Taylor;

DESCRIPTION Bond re the probate of the estates of the late Ann Wolrich of Congleton, widow dated 4 December 1723. The bondsmen were Richard Taylor of High Carr, Wolstanton, farmer and William Bourne junior of Chell and the bond sum 80. 

Page 255

 

REFERENCE 938 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Liverpool;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Pinnock;

DESCRIPTION Liverpool a supplement (with map) to Pinnocks Guide to Knowledge, No. CXXI, dated 30 June 1834, pages 227 to 235.

 

REFERENCE 939 LOCATION Trunk 1 Loose

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire; Manchester; Buglawton, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES Broad Bridge Meadow;

PERSONS Hammersley; Bull; Johnson; Clowes; Barker; Graves; Braddock; Hanson; Brindley; Ball; Lawton; Occleston; Leigh; Sivewright; Naylor; Scott; Whittles; Heath; Visger; Chadwick; Cheetham; Travers; Cooper; Walker; Heathcote; Phillips; Allen; Lovatt; Gould; Atkin

DESCRIPTION Four documents relating the Hammersley family of Leek, Staffordshire. (1) Copy of Manchester & Liverpool Banking Company's account with Messrs Robert Hammersley & Co for 31 December 1862 to 25 July 1868. Gives names of debtors and creditors. And shows a balance of 1124 when Robert Hammersley died on 11 April 1863. Document was intended for use in the Chancery Case Hammersley v Hammersley and is marked B. (2)Summary of details of the real and personal estate of Robert Hammersley deceased dated March 1865. Includes Browhill House, Grounds, Lodge and 6 cottages; a share in a brewery at Bridge End, Leek, Staffordshire. (3)Statement of assets in Hammersley v Hammersley January 1871. Includes a share of a 9800 mortgage on Lovatt & Gould's mill. (4) Estimate of the value of R & W.H.Hammersley's property at Bridge End, Leek, Staffordshire July 1868. This included the brewery, a wheelwright's shop and other land at Bridge End.

 

REFERENCE 940 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Hopton, Derbyshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Gell;

DESCRIPTION Derbyshire Record Office D258M/s34f . Copies of architect's drawings of the plan and elevation of proposed alterations to Hopton Hall, Derbyshire for Philip Gell. Date 26 April 1799.

 

REFERENCE 941 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Bradnop, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES The Park; Wheybank; Jack Field; Dog Kennel Piece; Whets Moors; Roost Hill; Mill Meadow; Big hill Top; Twinters Hay; Colt Field; Golden Flat; Three Nooked Field; Fallow Field; Four Day work; Fynney Field; Bank Meadow; Big Bot Field; See below

PERSONS Badnall; Shuttleworth; Killmister; Challinor; James; Allen; Titterton; Phillips; Turner; Fennyhough; Wilkinson; Sant Critchlow; Chapel; Pegg; Salt; Gould; Hammond; Burnett; Plant;

DESCRIPTION Sales catalogue containing details of the sale by auction of the Ashenhurst Hall estate at the Roe Buck Hotel, Leek, Staffordshire, on 23 August 1827, by order of the assignees and with the concurrence of the mortgagees of Mr.Richard Badnall, junior. The total estate comprised 705 acres 3roods 25 perches. It included Ashenhurst Hall and home farm, a corn mill, a stone quarry "adapted for the manufacture of cement" and several farms. The later were Middle or Mill Cliff Farm; Roost Hill Farm and Challenor Hays or Old Barn Farm. Field Names Continued: Sturk Field; Purgle; Long Field; Bent; Morridge Field; Rough Field; Wood Bank; Plough Meadow; Far Long Field.
Page 256

 

REFERENCE 942 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Horton, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Shuttleworth; Gaunt; Davenport; Pickford; Turner; Mountford; Milner; Hammersley; Shawcross; Cruso; Smith; Getcliffe; Goldstraw; Earls; Tatton; Wain; Sherratt; Broadbent; Abbott; Walton; Ball; Lowe; Broster; Spilsbury; Worthington; Preston, Hill, Hammond; Cope; Mottershead; Berresford; Wardle; Bott; Winterbotham; Meakin; Clulow; Morley; Colquhoun; Large; Malkin; Neville; Deavil; Hall; Poynton; Heath; Bowness;.

DESCRIPTION Sales catalogue containing details of the sale by auction of the Highfield House estate at the Roe Buck Hotel, Leek, Staffordshire, on 2 August 1827, by order of the Commissioners named in a Commission of Bankruptcy awarded and issued against Mr. Richard Badnall, senior of Leek. There were 39 lots which included: Highfield House with 45 acres and 3 roods of gardens, plantations, arable land and meadow; 47 acres, 1rood and 28 perches of other land; Heath House Farm comprising 79 acres and 2 roods with an estimated annual value of 1566 1s 5d; 3 cottages at Toad Hole "near the entrance to the town"; a silk factory at the bottom of Mill Street with sludge pool and backing onto the Churnet; Dyehouses on the west side of Abbey Green Lane at its junction with Mill Street; a tannery on the Hencroft in Abbey Green Lane; dyehouses and a former silk factory on Abbey Green Lane with an entrance from Mill Street; Brindley's House & shade in Mill Street; various houses nearby including Mills Square; houses on Clerk's Bank; the later Globe Inn premises with premises in the yard at the rear on Spout Street. The document carries pencilled notes of reserve prices, bids and sales . These are as follows: page 2 Highfield -Reserve Bid 4000; page 4 Lot XII Lynney Meadow -Mr.Cruso 1000; page 5 Lot XIII the Upper & Lower Lynney Meadows -Reserve 1550 Mr. Gaunt 1910; Lot XIV Broads-Bridge Meadow -S. Milward for Mr. Hammersley 1510; Lot XV Toad Hole - Shallcross 185; Lot XVI Meadow around Toad Hole - Mr. Gaunt 150; Lot XVII The Leys - Mr. Smith - 390; Lot XVIII Nab Hill Croft -R. Gaunt 365; Lot XIX The Scarroway -not offered; Lot XX Moorish Leys - R. Gaunt 410; Lot XXI Lower Meadow Doles - Mr.Davenport 320; Lot XXII Upper Meadow Dales -Mr.Davenport 400; Lot XXIII Factory at Foot of Mill Street -Reserve 1000; Lot XXIV dyehouses on West side of Abbey Green Lane - Mr.Joseph Badnall 600; Lot XXV Tannery etc. -Reserve 1600; Lot XXVI Dyehouse -Mill Street/Abbey Green Lane - Sold 660 Milner J. Plant; Lot XXVII Brew Hill (estate for life of Richard Badnall ) -Not offered; Lot XXVIII four houses opposite the Blue Ball Inn- Mr.Gaunt 400; Lot XXIX 2 houses at bottom of Mill Street - Mr.Smith 255; Lot XXX 2 other houses at bottom of Mill Street - Mr.Getcliffe 205; page 9 Lot XXXI Brindley's House -Reserve 1350; Lot XXXIV Mills Square - Mr.Mountford 660; Lot XXXIII shade on Clerk's Bank - Messrs Morley & Co. 630; Lot XXXIV four houses on Clerk's Bank - Mr.Pickford 225; page 10 Lot XXXV large house on Clerk's Bank -Uriah Davenport 420; Lot XXXVI the Globe Inn site - This lot Mr.Turner 1470 subject to an annuity of 15 per annum after B's death on the life of Mrs.B.; page 11 Lot XXXVII Hall's House in Spout Street - sold with Lot XXXVI; Lot XXXVIII land Leek Moor -105; Lot XXXIX Heath House Farm - Matthew Gaunt 300. On page 12 a pencilled note states "Lot 40 23 acres on Heaton Common - Mr.J. Gaunt 175. At the bottom of the page is a summary list of the lots sold, the purchasers and the price realised. These 24 lots fetched 15221. Ten lots with a total reserve price of 7960 remained unsold making the potential value of of the estate 23171. 

 

REFERENCE 943 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES Nix Hill; the Dungeon; Hungerfield; Bankyfield; Ludcroft or Milkyfield; Spout Croft; Longdale; Handkerchief Piece;

PERSONS Cruso; Chorley; Strangman; Van Tuyl; Johnson; Nall; Redfern; Pointon; Wright;' Ball; Bowyer; Lucas; Bradley; Garner; Cotton; Gillies; Forbes; Leech;

DESCRIPTION Sale catalogue for the sale of houses, a silk twisting shade, wheelwright's shop and land in and around Leek, Staffordshire by auction at the Red Lion Inn on 27 November 1837. Cruso & Redfern, solicitors, Leek. The principal house on Spout Street was formerly owned by Toft Chorley and had been two houses, one part of stone and the lower one of brick, parts of which were used as a silk warehouse. The silk shade was situated on Strangman's Walk and the Wheelwright's Shop on Spooner's Lane. The whole premises were included in a deed of settlement, dated 9 July 1794, which was made on the marriage of Toft Chorley and Miss Ann Strangman. Several people had a beneficial interest in it and details are given. The property was purchased by Maria and Harriet Van Tuyl, of Leek, spinsters, for 1380 and is signed by both of them. The document was also signed by John Cruso junior. On 17 December 1839 a note was added in which Harriet Van Tuyl assigned all her interest in the purchase contract to her sister who was to pay the full purchase money. Gaunt & Co. then occupied the shade at the top of Strangman's Walk.
Page
257

 

REFERENCE 944 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES Banky Field; Broad Bridge Meadow;

PERSONS Hammersley; Hacker; Allen; Brealey; Hulme; Dawson; Nicholson ; Glover ; Clowes; Gaunt; Middleton; Cruso; Searight; Brough; Cartright; Salt; Fergyson;

DESCRIPTION Sale catalogue for the sale of a brewery and plant known as Bridge End Brewery and land adjoining the road from Leek to Broad Bridge in Leek, Staffordshire by auction at the Swan Inn. Leek on 10 September 1874. Hacker & Allen. The sale was being made in accordance with a decree by the Master of the Rolls in Hammersley v Hammersley 1864 H. No. 123, and with the consent of the joint owner William Henry Hammersley. The brewery was unoccupied at the time of the sale.

 

REFERENCE 945 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Brealey; Weaver; Birchenough; Torr; Salt; Harrison; Challinor;

DESCRIPTION Sale catalogue for the sale of houses in Stockwell Street, Leek, Staffordshire including Ford House, then occupied by W. Beaumont Badnall, and one occupied by Mr. Brealey. Building plots were also for sale at the auction which took place on 13 June 1861 at the Red Lion Hotel. Challinor, Badnall & Challinor.

 

REFERENCE 946 LOCATION Box 6

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Cruso; Brealey; Galton; Bowcock; Rendell; Wheeldon; Wardle; Burton; Weymis; Sleigh; Watts; Brough; Middleton; Macclesfield; Badnall; King; Day;

DESCRIPTION Catalogue for the sale of Foxlowe in the Market Place, Leek, Staffordshire by auction at the Swan Hotel on 14 December 1893. Challinors & Shaw. Includes 3 plans- one of the ground floor of the the house.

 

REFERENCE 947 LOCATION Trunk 2

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Jukes Worthington; Bagley; Pope; Mackrell; Challinor; Shaw; Hammersley; Brough; Ward;

DESCRIPTION Copy , dated 5th December 1866, of a draft conveyance from Thomas Mackrell and his mortgagees to James Pope of a house, etc. in Ford Street, Leek, Staffordshire. Challinor & Co. The parties to this conveyance were: (1) Andrew Jukes Worthington, silk manufacturer, Joshua Brough, silk manufacturer, John Ward, silk manufacturer and William Challinor; (2) Thomas Mackrell of Leek, joiner and builder; (3) Hugh Daniel Bagley of Leek, mechanic; and (4) James Pope of Leek, mechanic who was married on 7th December 1863 at the Parish Church of Cambourne, Cornwall. It cites an indenture, dated 29 December 1863, between (1) and (2) whereby Mackrell mortgaged a house he was building in Ford Street, Leek on a plot purchased from George Hammersley, W. Challinor and Thomas Shaw, for 350 to (1). In the current indenture, Pope purchased the property from Mackrell by paying 150 to (1) and 10s to Mackrell. Mackrell had sold adjoining properties to Henry Bagley and to Hugh Daniel Bagley.
Page
258

 

REFERENCE 948 LOCATION Trunk 2

PLACES Leek, Heaton, Rushton Spencer, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES Fadge Meadow; Barchard;

PERSONS Sutton; Stubbs; Cruso; Coupland; Keates; Turnock;

DESCRIPTION Document bearing the description - Draft "Sutton's Property -Particulars and conditions of sale thereof on 4th March 1818" Engrossed 5 fair copies G. Keates & .. , Cruso & Coupland, Leek. The auction was to take place at the Red Lion Inn, Leek (landlord William Stubbs) on Wednesday 4th March 1818. The property in Heaton consisted of -Lot 1 a house called Thompson, with barns, fields etc. totalling 52 acres; and Lot 2 the 4 acre Fadge Meadow. Other lots were situated in Rushton Spencer including Lot 3 -the Golden Lion public house on the North side of the turnpike leading to Macclesfield and "now occupied by Mr.  Js. Turnock"; Lot 4 -land called Barchard (1 acre) which was also occupied by J. Turnock; Lot 5- a cottage, etc. in Rushton Spencer. The sale was brought about by Sutton's bankruptcy

 

REFERENCE 949 LOCATION Trunk 2

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Daintry; Cruso; Davenport; Goldstraw; Baddeley; Frost; Bass; Carrington; Challinor;

DESCRIPTION Copy, dated November 1858, of the conveyance, by John Davenport of Westwood Hall near Leek, to William Challinor of Leek, of 5 houses in the square in West Street, Leek, then occupied by William Goldstraw, Matilda Baddeley, William Frost, Charles Bass and Mary Carrington. This property was Lot 10 in a sale made by Davenport under the provisions of the will of his father dated 24 March 1845 and proved in the PCC on 9th May 1849. The consideration in this conveyance was 278. The conveyance also provided a "right of free use and enjoyment of the pump and yard in common with owners and occupiers for the time being of the messuages and premises forming Lots 11 and 12 as well as the right to use the ash pit in common with the owners, etc . of Lot 12." The ash pit was to be cleaned out from time to time at the joint expense of the owners. There was also a right to use a wheel barrow road or footway through the entry at the East end of Lot 11. The schedule of deeds notes an indenture of lease and release dated 31st March and 1st April, 1823 between John Smith Daintry, John Davenport and John Cruso.

 

REFERENCE 950 LOCATION Trunk 2

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Flint; Brealey; Drury; West; Read;

DESCRIPTION Bill, dated 19th June 1874, for drainage work carried out at Bradshaw Farm by John Brealey for Miss Flint. The work was carried out by Bernard Drury "and others". The farm was "let out to Read".