Bednall Collection: No.s 701 to 725

The Bednall Archive 

Last updated 04/05/2004


REFERENCE 701 LOCATION Transfer Box 62

PLACES Macclesfield, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES Broken Cross Meadow; Back Lane Meadow; Far Broken Cross Meadow;

PERSONS Bradbury; Jodrell; Byrnes; Simcox;

DESCRIPTION Plan in pencil and ink on oil paper, on a scale of 4mm per foot, of land at the junction of Fallibroome Road with the Macclesfield to Chester Road at Broken Cross, Macclesfield. The land included part of Broken Cross Meadow and part of Back Lane Meadow, Far Broken Cross Meadow and croft and totalled 10 acres 0r 13p. On the South side the land fronted the Chester Road for a distance of 248 yards 20 " extending from a group of buildings on the corner of the two roads to the house of Mr. Joseph Walker on the East. On the North it abutted the land of the Trustees of the late Mr. A.E.C.Barnshaw and on the West fronted the Fallibroome Road for a distance of 223 yards. The buildings shown on the corner of the Fallibroome Road and Chester Road belonged to Misses M.N.Bradbury, Mr. E.D.Jodrell, Mrs. Patrick Byrnes and Mr Enoch Simcox respectively.

 

REFERENCE 702 LOCATION Transfer Box 62

PLACES Macclesfield, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Cross; Evans; Ward; Clarke; Mason; Broderick; Wilson; Bullock;

DESCRIPTION Draft conveyance dated 16 January 1892 from David Evans of 1 Wood Street in the City of London, Silk Merchant (mortgagee) to William Edward Cross of Duke Street, Macclesfield, Auctioneer and Estate Agent, of freehold property in Newgate and Spitalfields, Macclesfield. H.Hand, Macclesfield. This document includes a plan of property in Spitalfields, Macclesfield on a scale of 20ft to the inch. The premises shown are no.s 13 to 29 Newgate and no.s 1 to 12 Spitalgate. The total area was 1356 square yards. Frontage to Roe Street 26yards 24"; to Newgate 41yards 26inches and to the property of Mrs. Daniel Ward and Richard Clarke Esq. on the West 39 yards 16 inches. Mr. James Mason's property on the East and fronting on to Roe Street is also mentioned. The mortgage was for 800. The houses were said to be in the occupation of Samuel Norbury James Birchenough and others. The back carries a signed and stamped receipt for 4-13-9 as a proportion of the Poor Rate and Local Board Rate.

 

REFERENCE 703 LOCATION Transfer Box 62

PLACES Macclesfield, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Bull; Hope;W adsworth; Frost; Crew; Mellor;

DESCRIPTION Part of a lease for 999 years, dated 2 August 1912, from Samuel Bull of Park Street, Macclesfield, Builder, to Adam Hope of 46 Cumberland Street, Macclesfield, tailor's cutter of a plot of land with a house known as Romans House on it situated on Park Lane, Macclesfield, Cheshire. The Cheshire Permanent Benefit Building Society was one of the parties to the lease indeed they were the Lessors- Bull was the person entitled to receive the rent from the Lessee - Hope. The document includes a plan on linen to a scale of 1 inch to 20 feet. The property ran for 10 yards 21 inches along Park Lane and abutted the property of Mr. William Wadsworth on the East and that of N. Frost, T.Crew, esq, and Mr. William Mellor on the West. Total area 556 square yards. Sewers and right of way from Bond Street at the rear shown. The yearly rent was 4.

Page 185

 

REFERENCE 704 LOCATION Not put away

PLACES Macclesfield, Cheshire; Salford, Manchester; Stockport; London;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Endon; Hodgkinson; Smith; Blagg; Heape; Leech; Brooks; Broadhurst; Twellin; Peak Dale; Sherwin; Pownall; Duckinfield; Lunt; Roydon; Sidebotham; Downs; Boulton; Haywood; Hudson; Small; Bradshaw; Nicholson; Sedgwick; Nield; Kent; Elcock; Edwards; Arderne;

DESCRIPTION Abstract of the title deeds 1668 to 1735 belonging to the late Mr. Endon's property in Back Street, Macclesfield. The indenture of feoffment dated 30 April 1668 between Roger Hodgkinson of Macclesfield, yeoman, his mother Elizabeth and John Smith of Macclesfield, Weaver, concerned a cottage or messuage in or adjoining Back Street Macclesfield which was late in the holding of John Blagg deceased and by him sold to John Hodgkinson deceased the father of Roger and husband of Elizabeth. It was then in the holding of William Brook, an under tenant and was sited between two other cottages one occupied by Ellen Heape, widow, on the East side, and the other occupied by Thomas Leech on the West. The property included part of the backside of the cottages of Heape and Leech which was in the possession of William Brooks. It was executed with Livery of Seisin. On 14 August 1671 Thomas Leech of Macclesfield, yeoman, sold two cottages in Back Street which had formerly been occupied by Roger Hodgkinson ( which had been sold to Leech previously) to John Broadhurst of Macclesfield, for 20. These cottages were said to have been late in the holding of Thomas Leech and Thomas Houghton. This sale included the land at the backside of the cottages. 7 October 1764 John Broadhurst sold the property to Thomas Twellin of Macclesfield, Chapman, for 28. On 9th June 1677 John Smith of Macclesfield sold (in fee) to Thomas Twellin, "all that dwelling house, (in Back Street) one parlour, one buttery and two chambers with a garden spot and an oven therein standing" which adjoined the house of John Heape on the East and that of Thomas Twellin on the West. He also sold him two chambers and one closet "wherein Christopher Heapes of Macclesfield, yeoman did then inhabit" which were sited over and above the said parlour and house. The consideration was 10. Christopher Heape's rooms were to be Twellin's as from the end of Heape's lease "which yet had continuance for two lives". On 22 November 1683 an indenture was drawn up between Thomas Twellin and his son Edward Twellin of Macclesfield, chapman, in which Thomas granted to his son " all that messuage, cottage etc. mentioned in the previous document cited "to hold of the Chief Lord. The warranty included Thomas's "then wife Alice". On the 30 & 31 December 1685 Edward Twellin, his wife Elizabeth sold or mortgaged the property to Thomas Twellin for 30. Thomas Twellin will 15 January 1693 shows that he bequeathed all his houses in Macclesfield to his son Thomas and Thomas's heirs. In indentures of lease and release dated 15 & 16th April 1717 Thomas Twellin of Macclesfield, chapman, conveyed to John Peak of Manchester, chapman "all those two house etc. situate and being in Macclesfield in or near a certain street then called Back Street on the south side thereof. And also all those two chambers & closet formerly in possession of Christopher Heape and then in the possession of Andrew Dale (part & parcel of the aforesaid messuages) & theretofore purchased by Thomas Twellin (party to these presents) of & from John Smith deceased. (which said messuages are now in the tenure etc. of the said Thomas Twellin or of John Sherwin, Twister & Alice Pownall, widow as tenats to him the said Thomas Twellin. It was subject to a mortgage to Charles Duckinfield Esq. and another to Thomas Lunt, gent, deceased and another to Roger Roydon for several long terms of years. It was also subject to Christopher Heape's lease which still had one life to run. An indenture in 4 parts was drawn up on 30 November 1717 between (1) Thomas Sidebotham of Manchester, Chapman, (Trustee of Peter Peak (2) Peter Peak himself, (3) Daniel Downes of Titherington, Cheshire, Chapman (Trustee of Adam Endon of Macclesfield, Chapman, (deleted and Gent substituted) (4) the said Adam Endon and indentures of lease and release dated 3 & 4 December 1717 the property was conveyed to Endon. Adam Endon granted the property to his son Thomas Endon of Manchester, Linen Draper (consideration 40) by indentures dated 18 & 19 July 1735. At that time the property was said to have been formerly occupied by John Broadhurst, grocer, then by James Hudson and John Small and the Overseers of the Poor of Macclesfield. In his will of 8 August 1740 Thomas Endon bequeathed all his property to his wife Elizabeth including a requirement that she pay his brother Benjamin 7-10s-0d a quarter for life. After his wife's death, the property was to go to his brother's children if any if not and Elizabeth out lived her brother in law, then she could dispose of it as she wished. His executors were his wife and his "brothers Mr. Edward Bradshaw, grocer and Mr. William Lunt, apothecary. The final deed was dated 14 and 15th October 1757 and was between Elizabeth Endon of Manchester, widow and executrix of Thomas Endon, Francis Nicholson of Macclesfield, apothecary, Roger Sedgwick of Manchester, Gent, James Nield of Salford, Lancs, hatter (three of the Creditors of Thomas Endon). This mentions suits for the recovery of debts prosecuting in the courts between Thomas and Elizabeth Endon and Endon's creditors. The agreement was intended to sort these matters out. The property was conveyed to Nicholson, Sedgwick and Nield in trust that they should sell the property with all speed and use the money raised to pay off monies owing to James Heywood of the City of London as executor of Peter Heywood late of Manchester, and all interest monies owing to Richard Broome of Manchester and all other monies owed by Thomas Endon on bond at the rate of 5% a year. Then when the sale was complete to share the proceeds between the Creditors.

Page 186

 

REFERENCE 705 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Eyre; Thompson; Whittles; Cruso; Smith; Sleigh; Ball; Davenport; Billinge;

DESCRIPTION Draft assignment of two plots and buildings in Leek for the for the remainder of 500 years to secure 200 and interest. Mr. George Thompson of Leek, Silk Manufacturer, by the direction of Mr. John Eyre of Leek, Joiner, to Mr. Samuel Bower Whittle of Leek, Grocer. Engrossed 10th July 1828. Dated 11 July 1828. Cruso, Leek. It cites an indenture of 4 September 1827 between John Eyre and George Thompson under which John Eyre assigned property to Thompson for the term of 500 years for the consideration of 150. Thompson later needed the capital and asked Eyre for it. Eyre in turn asked Whittles to lend him the money plus an additional 50 on the security of the assigned indenture. When Whittles agreed Eyre arranged for Thompson to assign the residue of the 500 year term to Whittles. The property was two pieces of land at or near the bottom of Derby Street, Leek called the Dragon Fields which had "lately been sub-divided and set out for building purposes by Messrs Smith & Sleigh and then sold by them as Trustees for sale under the will of the late Ann Davenport". The land was bounded on the North by "a certain New Street called Regent Street an d on the South by two pieces purchased by James Johnson and ? Eyre; on the East by land belonging to Samuel Ball and on the West by the land of Isaac Billinge.-"with all that said dwelling house lately erected by the said John Eyre on part of the land". It also included any other buildings already built or to be built. The rate of interest to be charged on the loan was 5%.

 

REFERENCE 706 LOCATION Trunk 1

PLACES Leek, Staffordshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Badnall; Cruso; Gailey; Challinor; Shaw; Johnson; Percival; Fogg; Brearley;

DESCRIPTION Sale brochure re the sale of Ford House and gardens, Stockwell Street, Leek by auction at the Swan Hotel on 22 September 1892- Challinors & Shaw. Contains plan of the house and building land by Thomas Brearley. The house is described as formerly in the possession of Mr. Frank Cruso, afterwards of Mr. W. B. Badnall and recently in the occupation of the late Dr John Gailey. The total area was 1402 square yards and the site had frontages to Stockwell Street of 70 ft and to Market Street of 81 ft. The house had a 14.5 ft. by 12.25ft dining room with bay window and recess; a drawing room 12.66ft by 13ft. with bay window; a servants hall, 2 kitchens, store room, 9 bedrooms, bath room, lavatory and WC on the first floor; 3 excellent cellars and a wine cellar with, at the rear, a harness room. The stables, carriage house and outbuildings were situated at the junction of Ford Street and Market Street.

 

REFERENCE 707 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Ashbourne, Derbyshire; Neston, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Davenport; Doxey; Smith; Nixon; Lovatt; Plant; Goostry; Maniea; Johnson; Eyre; Brassington; Braddock; Pickford; Wardle; Prince; Trafford; Bagshaw; Barlow; Goldstraw; Bloor; Bradley; Bowcock; Tomkinson; Gaunt; Brick; Slack; Holroyd; Rowley; etc.

DESCRIPTION Account of the produce arising from the sale of the real estates of Ann Davenport of Leek, spinster, who died on 24 November 1820 -probate of will: Lichfield 10 May 1821. Includes names of those from whom rents were received, names of purchasers and prices paid. Purchasers were: Josiah Gaunt; Thomas Birch; Benjamin Slack; James Wardle; Joseph Holroyd; James Rowley; Charles Booth; Thomas Eyre; G. K. Killmister; John Eyre; Charles Barker; Solomon Stevenson; Richard Gaunt; Isaac Billinge; William Clues; James Mather; Thomas Pointon; Samuel Ball; William Nixon; Catherine Whillock. The total amount raised by the sale was 3954-12s. The total receipts 4786 -12s 2d. Annuities were paid to John Davenport; John Hales; under the will of William Lownds. Legacies and or annuities were paid to Mary Brunt wife of John Brunt of Alrewas; Prudence Godwin; Robert & Stephen Godwin of Cobridge; Ellen Davenport; Mary Davenport; Peter Lowe; James Davenport; John, Ellen and Ann Hulme; Arthur Godwin and Mrs. Thompson; Mary wife of Thomas Brough; the three children of Sarah Bourne; Phoebe Shaw; Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson; Ann Eyres; Ann Acton; Molly wife of Thomas Eyres; Sally wife of Charles Ball; Sarah Challinor; Mrs. Cruso senior; Miss Elizabeth Richards; Charles Chadwick; J. Sleigh; J.S. Daintry; Mrs. J. Cruso junior;  Mrs. C. Coupland; and Mr. John Hand. The document also lists names of tradesmen who supplied materials for or carried out repairs to the properties. The payments include payments to Henry Bailey for straw and to Henry Nixon for thatching. Tradesmen mentioned also include William & James Nixon; James Pointon; Samuel Hidduley; William Acton; George Holmes; Robert Heath; William Hilliard; Thomas Smith; Mark Abbott; Samuel Stretch; Wasley; Bagshaw; Stringer; Gwynne; Heaton; Cruso; Redfern; Coupland.

Page 187

 

REFERENCE 708 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; London;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Davenport; Sleigh; Trevor;

DESCRIPTION Letter, dated 25 April 1831, to Mr. John Sleigh at Leek from Ch. Trevor, solicitor of Legacy Duties re the estates of the late Ann Davenport No.133 Register CD No.3 1821 folio 889. Requests payment of  duty.

 

REFERENCE 709 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; London;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Davenport; Smith; Sleigh;

DESCRIPTION Letter, dated 17 Sept. 1830, to Mr. Thomas Smith c/o Mr. John Sleigh , silk manufacturer, at Leek from Thomas Gwynne, Comptroller of Legacy Duties re the estates of the late Ann Davenport No.133 Register CD No.3 1821 folio 889. Requests payment of duty. It concerns in particular legacies under the will of William Lowndes to Thomas Smith, Mrs. Ann Booth, Mary Brough (cousin) and Phoebe Shaw. {Good postmark S SE.17 1830].

 

REFERENCE 710 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Cleator, Cumberland; Macclesfield, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Dyde; Heathcote; Cook; Davenport; Heathcote;

DESCRIPTION Declaration, dated 29 July 1840, by Mary Dyde late of Macclesfield but now of Leek, Staffs., to L. H. Heathcote, of the age of Mr. C.Brunt. She stated that, on 23 November 1820, she attended Mary wife of John Brunt, Incumbent of Cleator in Cumberland, who was then living in Macclesfield. Mrs. Brunt was delivered of a boy who was later baptised Clement by Rev. J.Cook curate of St. Michael's Macclesfield though the baptism was not entered in the register. Mary Dyde made her mark.

 

 

REFERENCE 711 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Barton under Needwood, Alrewas, Staffs; Cleator, Egremont, Arlecdon, Cumberland; Macclesfield, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Davenport; Wilkinson;

DESCRIPTION Declaration, dated 1845, by George Wilkinson of Arlocdon near Whitehaven, Cumbria, Clerk, as to the family of the Reverend John Brunt formerly of Alrewas, Staffordshire but later of Cleator in Cumbria, deceased, and Mary his wife. The declaration was made in connection with the estate of Miss Ann Davenport of Leek, Staffs. (deceased). John Brunt died on 16 September 1844 and his wife Mary on 1st December 1845. The Brunts had seven children namely: John Charles Brunt born 23 October 1816 baptised at Barton under Needwood 12 August 1817; Horace Brunt born 20 July 1818 and baptised at Needwood on 13 May 1819; Clement Brunt born 23 November 1820 and baptised at Macclesfield 19 January 1821; Margaret Brunt born 8 June 1822 and baptised 16 June 1822 at Cleator; Walter Brunt was born at Egremont 8th March 1824; Charles Mellor Brunt and Charlotte Brunt. Charles and Margaret died without being married. Two notes pinned to the document: (1) states that Mr. C.Brunt, Chief Mate of the Esquibo of London and eldest son of Rev. John Brunt was lost overboard near the Isle of St. Domingo on 9th September 1841 during a severe gale. He was 25 years old. (2) states John Brunt & Mary Davenport were married at Leek, Stafford on 5th March 1815.

Page 188

 

REFERENCE 712 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Cleator, Cumberland;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern;

DESCRIPTION Letter, dated 6th December 1845, from Thomas Redfern of Leek, Solicitor, to Horace Brunt of Trumpet House, Cleator, Cumbria. States Mr. Smith of Drybank House? had passed to him a letter from Brunt which enquired about winding up the Davenport Trust now that his (Brunt's) mother was dead. Redfern requested detailed information about his mother's death and whether or not any of his brothers  and sisters had died leaving children.

 

REFERENCE 713 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Cleator, Cumberland;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern;

DESCRIPTION Letter dated Leek, 1st January 1846 from Thomas Redfern of Leek, Solicitor, to Miss Charlotte Brunt of Trumpet House, Cleator, Cumbria. States Mr. Smith had passed to him a letter from her dated 10th December and asked him to reply to it. Redfern requested detailed information about her father's and mother's burials and the baptisms of all their children. He also asked for the name of" some respectable

gent" who knew the family and would sign a declaration.

 

REFERENCE 714 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Cleator, Cumberland; Whitstable, Kent;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern;

DESCRIPTION Letter, dated 10th December 1845, from Miss Charlotte Brunt of Trumpton House, Cleator to Thomas Redfern of Leek, solicitor. The letter was in reply to one from him dated 9th December. It states that her mother died at Trumpet House and was buried in Cleator leaving 5 surviving children.  The survivors were: Horace 25, Clement 24, Walter 21, Charles 19 and herself 16. Confirms death of John at sea 9th Sept 1841. Margaret died 29 April 1838 aged 16 -both were unmarried. Her mother had not made a will. As to places of residence; Clement lived at Whitstable near Canterbury, Charles was then at sea -being a sailor- the others were all at Trumpet House. A note adds "my beloved Father has been dead 15 months."

 

REFERENCE 715 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Cleator, Kirby Lonsdale, Cumberland; Whitstable, Kent; Manchester;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern;

DESCRIPTION Refers to the trust set up under the will of Ann Davenport of Leek, deceased, and is a copy of Brunt births marriages and deaths. See Bednall Collection 711. Times of birth as well as dates and places are given. The document provides additional information including the fact that Margaret Sarah Brunt who died in 1838 died of consumption. Charles Mellor Brunt was born at Egremont on 11 April 1826 and baptised at Cleator on 7th May that year. Charlotte was born at Cleator Hall on 3rd March 1830 and baptised by her father at Cleator on 28th of the same month. Horace was then lodging with David Booth at Bessey's Barn near Manchester; Clement, who was a surgeon, was living in Canterbury, Kent. Walter was dumb and still living at Cleator. Charles Mellor was at Sea. Charlotte was at Clergyman's Daughters school/home at Kirby Lonsdale.

Page 189

 

REFERENCE 716 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Barton under Needwood, Alrewas, Staffs; Cleator, Egremont, Arlecdon, Cumberland; Macclesfield, Cheshire;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Davenport; Wilkinson;

DESCRIPTION See Bednall Collection 711. This is draft of the declaration by George Wilkinson of Arlocdon near Whitehaven, Cumbria, Clerk, as to the family of the Reverend John Brunt formerly of Alrewas, Staffordshire but later of Cleator in Cumbria, deceased, and Mary his wife, dated 1845. Declaration made in connection with the estate of Miss Ann Davenport of Leek, Staffs. (deceased). Engrossed 13th March 1846 Redfern, Leek.

 

REFERENCE 717 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Whitstable, Kent;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Davenport

DESCRIPTION Re Miss Ann Davenport deceased. Letter from Clement Brunt , surgeon of Whitstable, Kent to Mr. Redfern at leek, Staffs. dated March 1846. Requesting information concerning steps to be taken and the need to forward evidence of birth/baptism. He had a problem in that there was no register of his baptism but had a document signed by a magistrate and the nurse in attendance which was "received as sufficient evidence by the College of Surgeons of England when he presented himself for examination before the Court." 

 

REFERENCE 718 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES London; Whitstable, Kent;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Davenport

DESCRIPTION Copy of a letter to Clement Brunt , surgeon of Whitstable, Kent from Mr. Redfern at 14 Manchester Buildings, Westminster dated 24 March 1846. Re Miss Ann Davenport deceased. Letter is  in answer to one from Brunt - Bednall Collection 717.

 

REFERENCE 719 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Whitstable, Kent;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Davenport

DESCRIPTION Three letters from Clement Brunt , surgeon of Whitstable, Kent to Mr. Redfern at Leek, Staffs. (1) dated 31 March 1846. Re Miss Ann Davenport deceased. It replies to that from Redfern dated 24th March - Bednall Collection 718. (2) dated 20 April 1846 and (3) dated 29 April 1846 the latter two complaining of a lack of action by Redfern.

 

REFERENCE 720 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Whitstable, Kent; Arlocddon, Cumbria;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Davenport; Wilkinson;

DESCRIPTION In the matter of Miss Ann Davenport's Trust- draft letter dated 13 May 1846 to Revd. George Wilkinson of Arlocdon near Whitehaven, Cumbria requesting that he make a declaration as to the family of the Revd. J.Brunt.

Page 190

 

REFERENCE 721 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Whitstable, Kent; Arlocddon, Cumbria;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Davenport; Wilkinson;

DESCRIPTION 5 documents. (1) An account of the legacies paid to the family of the Revd. John Brunt under the will of Miss Ann Davenport of Leek, deceased. Initial legacy was 300 and the 5 surviving children received sums ranging from 58 to 60 -17s -8d each. (2) Receipt signed by Charles Mellor Brunt; (3) Receipt signed by Clement Blunt. (4) Receipt signed by Horace Blunt. (5) Copy of an unsigned receipt /account sent to Revd. George Wilkinson.

 

REFERENCE 722 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Smith; Davenport;

DESCRIPTION Letter dated 10 June 1847 from Thomas Smith of Debank House to Thomas Redfern requesting "what is left in his hands on Brunts... in a week or ten days" 

 

REFERENCE 723 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Arlocdon, Cumbria; Casterton, ;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Wilkinson; Davenport;

DESCRIPTION Letter dated 20 May 1847 from Revd. George Wilkinson, Incumbent of Arlocdon, Cumbria to Thomas Redfern of Leek, solicitor re Davenport Trust. Refers to Redfern and Smith assenting to the payment of interest on the small sum due to Charlotte Brunt of Cleator in order to defray the expences of her education at Casterton. Redfern had obviously also asked where Walter Brunt might be found. Wilkinson stated that he was resident at Cleator and was of "impotent mind" and because of this was allowed 15 a year by the York Emmanuel Charity. The money was paid to a woman in Cleator to cover his board and his clothes were given him by charitable individuals. Wilkinson suggests that Walter should also be allowed the interest on his legacy and that it should be paid to Mr. Robertson, the Miller of Cleator near Whitehaven who looks after him occasionally. Miss Charlotte Brunt's address was given as Clergy Daughter's School, Casterton, "until 21st June and afterwards, for one month, at at Cleator in this neighbourhood".

 

REFERENCE 724 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Cleator, Cumbria; Bury, Lancs;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Jukes; Davenport; Whitehead;

DESCRIPTION Three letters from Charles Mellor Brunt, care of Mr. Whitehead, Flour Dealer, Bury, Lancashire to Thomas Redfern of Leek, solicitor re Ann Davenport Trust. (1) dated 13 March 1847 notifying Redfern that he will be 21 years old on the 11th of next month and requesting his legacy. (2) dated 24 March 1847 stating that Redfern already had the information on Baptism etc. and it would be superfluous to send it again. (3) dated 5 April 1847 enclosing a copy dated April 1847 of the entry of his baptism in the registers of the parish church of Cleator -it reads: 1826 April 23 Charles Mellor son of John and Mary Davenport Brunt of Croft End in the parish of Egremont, Clergyman-signed J.Brunt, Minister. The copy was signed by M. Jukes, incumbent of Cleator.

Page 191

 

REFERENCE 725 LOCATION Transfer Box 73

PLACES Leek, Staffs; Arlocdon, Cumbria; Casterton, ;

FIELD NAMES

PERSONS Brunt; Redfern; Davenport; Wilkinson;

DESCRIPTION Letter dated 18 May 1846 from the Revd. George Wilkinson, Incumbent of Arlocdon to Thomas Redfern of Leek, solicitor re Ann Davenport Trust. Letter accompanied the declaration he had made concerning the children of the Revd. John Brunt deceased. Wilkinson said Redfern would have to pay Atkinson & Son, Solicitors at Whitehaven half a crown. States that he had placed Charlotte Brunt in the Clergy Daughters School at Casterton near Kirby Lonsdale.