İalan w. bednall www.bednallarchive.info 2000
REFERENCE 326 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 4 /4PLACES Leek, Staffs; Manchester;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Holland; Beswick; Phillips; Maude; Bowcock; DESCRIPTION Copy of the commitment of George Holland for having, on the 5th August 1838, offered silk for sale in Manchester knowing it to have been stolen. Holland was convicted on the evidence of Richard Beswick and others and the document directs the Constables of Manchester to convey Holland to the Governor of the New Bailey, Manchester who was to see that Holland was kept at hard labour for three months. Signed by S. Phillips and D Maude on 9th August 1838. The document is annotated "geo.Bowcock of Leek".
REFERENCE 327 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 4 /5PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Cruso; DESCRIPTION Leek Association for the Prosecution of Offences in the Silk Trade -Draft agreement dated 14 August 1838. Cruso, Leek, Staffs. 7 pages.
REFERENCE 328 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 4 /6PLACES Leek, Staffs; Manchester;
FIELD NAMES Bridge End;PERSONS Cruso; Bowcock; Hammersley; Ball; Smith; Thorpe DESCRIPTION Case concerning the stealing of silk by Jesse Bowcock of Leek, Staffs. Examination of Robert Hammersley of Bridge End, Leek, silk dyer and partner of William Hammersley, and Charles Ball dated 11 August 1838. Bowcock had been employed at the dyehouse by Hammersley and his (Hammersley's) grandfather since childhood. For the previous two years at least he had been employed as assistant bookkeeper and packer at a wage of 13 shillings a week. He had always been employed in the storeroom and warehouse at Bridge End. Document describes discovery of the stolen silk in a locked box in in Bowcock's lodgings. The parcel contained 1lb 2 1/4 oz. of coarse Bengal organzine silk which was thought to be part of a consignment of 43lbs 5oz sent to them by Messrs Smith & Thorpe of Manchester, silk manufacturers. When silk brought up from being dyed it appeared much lighter in weight than expected. The bundles were counted and found to tally with the number in Bowcock's book. It was therefore assumed that it had not gained as much weight in dying as expected. The document lists witnesses and what they will prove. They included Bowcock's uncles Cornelius and James Bowcock, Jonathon Plant who was sent for to pick the lock of the box of silk, and Bowcock's landlord and his wife - George and Betty Goodwin. Charles Ball was the Hammersley's Bookkeeper and he said the silk was rounder than any received from other customers. Ball identified the silk. Page 84
REFERENCE 329 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 4 /7PLACES Leek, Staffs; Manchester; London;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Cruso; DESCRIPTION Copy of a draft petition to the House of Commons from Land Owners, Merchants Bankers and Manufacturers, Traders and other inhabitants of Leek, Staffordshire concerning a bill before the House of Commons promoting The Cheshire Junction Railway. The petitioners emphasised that Leek trade had prospered and depended upon its being sited on the direct mail coach route from Manchester to London. They suggested that a new railway should be built to take account of the need to ensure the continuing commercial success of the towns in the areas through which it passed. They proposed an alternative line passing thro' or near Leek and other large manufacturing towns for which a company had been formed and funds provided which would shorten the distance from London to Manchester to a greater extent than the Cheshire Junction line. Though undated the water mark suggests the document was drawn up in or after 1835.
REFERENCE 330 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /1PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Badnall: Hammersley; Clowes; DESCRIPTION Tracing of plan endorsed on a conveyance dated 17 October 1877 to the Trustees of the Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks. The plan shows the area around the junction of Abbey Green Road and Mill Street in Leek, Staffordshire on a scale of 2 cm = 1 chain. Houses number 196 to 212 Mill Street and 1 to 9 Abbey Green Road are marked. Shows the dyeworks which were Ann Badnall's, then Ann Clowes' for life.
REFERENCE 331 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /2PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Badnall: Gaunt; Cave; DESCRIPTION Tracing of plan produced for the sale of Badnall property in 1827. The plan shows the area around the junction of Abbey Green Road and Mill Street in Leek, Staffordshire. Lots 12, 13, 14, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31(Brindley's House) and 32( Mills Square) are indicated. White's Bridge, the Corn Mill, Blue Ball Inn, the Bath and Broad Bridge are indicated. Adjacent landowner's names are given. Macclesfield Road portion of road between Abbey Green Road junction with Mill Street and White's Bridge is called Mill Lane.
REFERENCE 332 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /3PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMES Great or Upper Lynneys; Lower Lynneys; Hencroft;PERSONS Badnall: Challinor; Wardle; Hammersley; Cruso; Smith; DESCRIPTION Notes, dated 10 January 1899, as to Sir Thomas Wardle of the Hencroft Works, Leek, Staffs. being the riparian owner. Eight pages including extract from the sale catalogue for the bankruptcy sale of Richard Badnall's property in Leek in 1827. It also mentions the conveyance of the property to Joseph Badnall in particular referring to lots 13 and 25 on 6 March 1828. It mentions the building at the rear of no.s 196 to 204 Mill Street which "was formerly a thread factory but for many years since has been used as a silk factory" this must have been the former Richard Ferne's thread factory. The plan listed at Bednall Collection No. 231 is referred to. The document provides a description of the premises taken from at the conveyance drawn up 17 October 1877 when Mr. Badnall's representatives sold to the Trustees of the Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company. and the plan listed at Bednall Collection 230 is referred to. In 1877 the dyeworks were tenanted by William Henry Hammersley. The document mentions "a rumour that the course of the river has been altered but this would be long prior to 1827". Page 85
REFERENCE 333 LOCATION Miss Vicki Hammersley 1999PLACES Leek, Staffs; Derby;
FIELD NAMES The Hill;PERSONS Emerson; Hammersley; Griffin; Porter; DESCRIPTION Lease of buildings and land at Bridge End, Leek, Staffs. by Mrs. Ann Emerson, widow of Robert Emerson of Leek, coach proprietor, & others to Mr. William Hammersley of Bridge End, silk dyer, dated 22 November 1825. The lease was to commence on Lady Day 1825 and run for a term of 15 years. The rent was £100. The land was described has having at some time past been used as a stable yard together with a house and buildings thereon which had formerly been three stables and two shed with the large room over the stables now converted into dyehouses and building used in the trade or mystery of dyeing. Also included were the house at Bridge End in which Hammersley lived, a stable with two dwellings over and a small shed. Hammersley had the right of ingress and egress and a passage 4 ft wide from the buildings to the River Churnet and also to "the stream of water which flows from a piece of land at Bridge End called the Hill". Hammersley had the right to use these waters for the washing and dyeing and also the right to use the surplus water from a reservoir in the garden of Ann Emerson above the public house called the White Lion. Document is signed, sealed and stamped. [Original now in the possession of Miss Vicki Hammersley Nov. 1999]
REFERENCE 334 LOCATION Trunk 1 LoosePLACES Leek, Staffs; Manchester;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Hammersley; Ball; Heathcote; Heath; Atkin; Russell; Alsop; DESCRIPTION Release and indemnity from the trusts of the will of the late Mr. William Hammersley dated 16 March 1838. The release was made by the residuary legatees under the will i.e. Elizabeth Hammersley of Leek, widow, John Hammersley and William Hammersley of Bridge End, Leek, Staffs, silk dyers, Eli Atkin of Manchester, drysalter and Mary his wife who was Hammersley's daughter. William Hammersley's will (dated 23 January 1832 set up a trust whose trustees were John Russell of Leek, silk manufacturer and James Alsop of Leek, warehouseman. The document was witnessed by John Heathcote, solicitor, Eli Atkin, Charles Ball and John Heath. It was signed by all parties, sealed and stamped.
REFERENCE 335 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /6PLACES Leek, Tittesworth; Cheadle, Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Bowers; Riley; DESCRIPTION Unsigned agreement for sale and purchase of part of Troutsdale Farm, Leek, Staffs by William Bowers of Cheadle, coalmaster, to the Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company dated 1869. The Waterworks Company wished to increase the capacity of their reservoir at Tittesworth and therefore bought 3 acres of land owned by Bowers and occupied by Robert Riley.
REFERENCE 336 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /7PLACES Cheddleton, Staffs;
FIELD NAMES Deep Hayes;PERSONS DESCRIPTION Extracts from Sections 52, 65 and 68 of the 1853 Act and Section 32 of the 1861 Act empowering the Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company to extract water from the River Churnet, etc. Section 52 concerns the maintenance of the 20 million cu. ft.. Deep Hayes Compensation Reservoir intended to make up for water extracted from springs. Section 65 gave owners powers to give notice to the Company that they should cleanse the reservoir and to have it done if the Company failed to. Section 68 gave the mill owners on the Churnet powers to appoint and remove an Engineer and also to remove any persons appointed to regulate discharge of water from the compensation reservoir. This section includes a list of the scale of votes to which each mill owner was entitled. Page 86
REFERENCE 337 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /8PLACES Leek, Staffs; London;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Tatton; Wardle; Hammersley; Fawcett; DESCRIPTION Churnet Water Rights Case for Counsel 9 April 1891: Includes 3 coloured plans Plan A is on a scale of 6" to the mile and shows the River Churnet from the Tittesworth Reservoir and the Cartledge Brook to White's Bridge, Leek, Staffs. Dyeworks are indicated at the Hencroft and on Mill Lane and also at Bridge End. A pipeline is shown running from the Cartledge Brook along the North Side of the River Churnet to Bridge End. Plan B is on a scale of 208.33 feet to the inch and shows the section of the river between Broad Bridge and White's Bridge. The line of the Ball Haye Brook, the pipeline from the reservoir and a twin pipe sewer are shown. The dyeworks and the corn mill are shown in detail. A reservoir is shown on the Hencroft. There is a third plan showing the Hammersley and Wardle dyeworks and Sir Thomas Wardle's print works to a larger scale. A.L. Hammersley is said to be the owner of the Mill Street and Bridge End Dyeworks and the corn mill. Thomas Wardle the owner of the Hencroft and Churnet Dyeworks. States Tittesworth Reservoir constructed about 1858. Complaints by Hammersley predecessors to waterworks company concerning water quality and its effects on dyeing operations. 1868 Waterworks Co. constructed a pipeline from the Cartledge Brook to Mill Street Dyeworks to provide a constant supply of pure water. The pipe, initially 6" in diameter, reduces to 4", 3" and finally 2" at the dyeworks. This was unsatisfactory due to inadequate supply and in 1870 an action was initiated by Clowes (Clowes v Staffs. Waterworks Co. 8 Ch. App. Cases 125). Case decision 5 November 1872 after which the Company replaced the 2" section of pipe with 3" diameter pipe. In about 1885 Hammersley's predecessor took up all the 3" and 4" diameter pipes and replaced them with pipes of 6" diameter. "More recently still" pipes were laid down to connect the Bridge End works to the 6" supply from the Cartledge Brook. The waste water from the dyeworks was discharges into the twin sewer which was specially laid down to receive the dyewaters which it discharges into the Churnet further down the river. Width of the River Churnet above and opposite the Hencroft dyeworks given as 18' and 12' respectively - its depth between 18" and 24". Flow estimated at 350,000 gallons per hour. Quantity extracted from the Cartledge Brook estimated to be 2000 gallons per hour. Flow reduced considerably in a dry season. The Hencroft Works was built on land bought by Samuel Tatton in 1847. The buildings were completed soon after and almost immediately Tatton laid a 2.5" diameter pipe under the Abbey Green Road to convey water from the River to a reservoir in the Hencroft works. Wardle bought the property in 1872. The Ball Haye Brook originally conveyed part of the Town's sewerage and "in this condition was used to irrigate the Hencroft. About 1863 the sewerage was intercepted and conveyed into ordinary sewers leaving the brook waters pure. Both Hammersley and Wardle subsequently extracted water from it for dyeing purposes. Also in 1863 the Leek Improvement Commissioners agreed to send a quantity of water down the river to compensate for that extracted from certain springs. Part of the latter was sent via the Tittesworth Reservoir and the remainder 20 to 25000 gallons daily via the Ball Haye Brook. The extraction of water by Hammersley's predecessor and Wardle led to Lord Macclesfield threatening to take action because of the effect of water extraction on his corn mill. Hammersley's predecessor was thus compelled to purchase the corn mill at Lord Macclesfield's price "which was high". At the end of 1890 Wardle who wanted to obtain a purer supply of water asked the Leek Improvement Commission for permission to lay a pipe under the Abbey Green Road from the Hencroft Works to the Churnet Works. Permission was granted but Hammersley, the owner of the freehold, objected. He also claimed that Wardle's use of the waters of the Churnet and the Ball Haye Brook was an infringement of his rights as riparian owner. Wardle was thought to be a riparian owner but his deeds did not provide evidence of this. The case depended on where the boundary between the Hencroft and the field on the opposite side of the Abbey Green Lane was i.e. on the centre of the river or on the centre of the road. The road the small strip of land between the road and the east bank of the river had been unfenced and in a case reported in the Leek Times of 26 July 1879 Tatton previous owner of the Hencroft Works was judged to be a riparian owner. Document includes the opinion of W.M.Fawcett of Lincolns Inn dated 8 May 1891.
REFERENCE 338 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /9PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Tatton; Wardle; Hammersley; Challinor; Shaw; Fawcett; DESCRIPTION Churnet Water Rights Case for Counsel 1 August 1891: Virtually as for Bednall Collection No.337. Includes the opinion of W.M.Fawcett of Lincolns Inn dated 13 August 1891.
REFERENCE 339 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /10PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMES Hillswood; Abbey Wood;PERSONS Yates; Mayatt; Tatton; Davenport; Hammersley; Wardle; Wilson; DESCRIPTION Re Churnet Water Rights: Statement of James Yates of Alsop Row, Leek to accompany case for Counsel. Dated 9 April1891 Challinor & Shaw, Leek, Staffs. Note: Newspaper report of Tatton v Staffs. Potteries Waterworks Co. (Leek Times of 26 July 1879). Yates stated that he came to Leek 36 years before to work on the Tittesworth Reservoir for Mr. John Wilson the contractor to the Staffs. Waterworks Company. He remembered making a pool in Abbey Wood (Hillswoood) to convey water to Mr. Hammersley but the water was coloured with red oxide of iron and would not do. The year after in autumn 1867 (23 years since, the dry summer) they started laying pipes in the Wardle Brook about 200 yards above where it joined the Churnet to lay a supply of water to the dyehouse. His statement gives details on the precise course of the pipes. Yates also stated that he worked for the Company or their contractors for 18 years until March or April 1875 . Afterwards he worked for Mr. Mellor of Leek, gardener, for about 10 years and then up to the present time for Mr Myatt.
REFERENCE 340 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /11PLACES Leek, Tittesworth , Staffs; Macclesfield, Cheshire; London;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Hammersley; Allen; Badnall; Clowes; Smith; Elliot; Argyles; Heathcote Hacker, Bloore, Alcock, Davenport; Stafford; Johnson; Farrow; Surr; Slagg; Mellor; DESCRIPTION Clowes v. Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company in Chancery 1870 C. No. 185 Lord Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor Malins. Folios 188. Affidavits on the part of the Plaintiff, Ann Clowes, spinster, William H. Hammersley of Leek, silk dyer, William Allen, Charles Slagg, Robert Farrow, Elisha Hammersley, Henry Mellor, Thomas Clowes, George Davenport, Henry L. Johnson, George Hammersley. Front carries Chancery Court Stamps. Ann Clowes and W. H.Hammersley made a joint declaration. Ann stated she was a tenant for life under the will (dated 9 February 1836) of Ann Badnall, late of Leek, of three dyehouses at the bottom of Mill Street, Leek, Staffs. Hammersley said that he and his former partner Robert Hammersley (then deceased) had carried on their silk dyeing business there as yearly tenants. Both emphasised the importance of the silk trade to Leek. Hammersley said that pure water was essential for washing and dyeing silk and that planks were thrown across the River Churnet on which the workers stand. Colours dyed at the works were said to be of a most brilliant description. The "Raven" black can only be produced in perfection by the waters of the Churnet. Waters of the Churnet were said to have been of great purity and softness. South-west of Leek there were springs called Saint Annes, Seners, or Sinners springs the waters of which ran into the Churnet about two miles below the dyeworks at the rate of 1,000,000 gallons a day. The Waterworks Company built a reservoir at Ladderedge to make use of these waters with a compensation reservoir at Deep Hayes to feed into the Churnet in lieu of water taken for the Potteries water supply. Deep Hayes reservoir proved inadequate and the Company purchased about 40 acres of lands in a deep and narrow valley at Tittesworth, North East of the dyeworks about 1.5 miles higher up the Churnet. The main stream of the Churnet flowed into the Tittesworth reservoir at its upper end and is discharged via 7 pipes. A large pipe some distance from the others permits rapid discharge in case of great floods. Clowes said that her tenants had informed her that after the building of the reservoir the river was often in a muddy state for 10 to 14 days after a flood. Hammersley said that the impurities in the river were increasing. He had had to change the way he worked and had been compelled to lay workers off. He had suffered considerable pecuniary loss. Hammersley had complained to the Waterworks Company's engineer Mr. Liffle Elliot. He complained to Ann Clowes about the damage done to the river by the reservoir. Elliot was instructed at a meeting 7 September 1864 to remedy matters and subsequently put forward several schemes including the pipeline scheme. Ann Clowes said the piped supply had always been inadequate. Hammersley said he had not approved of and had never had any faith in the scheme. The Waterworks Company had only recently enlarged the reservoir and its effects were then unknown. Page 88
REFERENCE 341 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /12PLACES Leek, Tittesworth , Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Hammersley; Allen; Badnall; Clowes; Elliot; Argyles; DESCRIPTION Clowes v. Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company in Chancery 1870 C. No. Lord Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor Malins. Filed 22 July 1870. Bill of Complaint. N.C. & C. Milne of Temple acted as agents for Hacker & Allen of Leek, the Plaintiff's Solicitors. This again states that Ann Clowes was a tenant for life of three dyeworks on the east side of the River Churnet in Mill Street, Leek under the will of Ann Badnall dated 9th February 1836. She had demised the dyeworks by indenture dated 13 November 1859 to William Henry Hammersley and his assigns for one year and thereafter from year to year renewable until notice to quit was given by either side. The yearly rent was £120 with Hammersley paying all taxes except the landlord's property tax and doing all repairs to the premises.
REFERENCE 342 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /13PLACES Leek, Tittesworth , Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Hammersley; Badnall; Clowes; DESCRIPTION Clowes v. Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company in Chancery 1870 C. No. Lord Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor Malins. Filed 22 July 1870. Bill of Complaint. This item is a printed and coloured plan to a scale of 60 chains to 5", showing the course of the River Churnet from the Tittesworth Reservoir to the Deep Hayes Reservoir. Major features indicted include: the Cartledge Brook, The Abbey, Broad Bridge, the Dye Works, White's Bridge, Westwood Hall, Wall Bridge, the canal crossing the river, St. Ann's Senus or Sinners Springs, Wall Grange Pumping Station, Ladderedge Reservoir, and part of the line of the Leek Branch Railway. An inset shows the dyeworks section to a scale of 15 chains to 5".
REFERENCE 343 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /14PLACES Leek, Tittesworth , Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Wardle; Badnall; Clowes; Challinor; Shaw; Meakin; Mottershead; Toar; Birch; Tatton; Bishop; Salt; DESCRIPTION Thomas Wardle Esq. v. Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks Company, copy draft release dated 5 June 1876. Challinor & Shaw. Loose memo states that by an indenture dated 5 June 1876 Thomas Wardle exonerated the Staffs. Waterworks Co. from the claims and demands therein mentioned. A footnote states that the memorandum had been endorsed on a deed of conveyance of 30 March 1872 from Samuel Tatton to Thomas Wardle of dyeworks and premises in Leek. The draft indenture states that Wardle was the owner of the Churnet and Hencroft dyeworks which were then mortgaged to the Trustees of the Leek & Moorlands Permanent Benefit Building Society. He claimed to have been in business as a silk dyer and calico dyer for some years. His complaint was that the Waterworks Company's existing works had caused the waters of the Churnet to be impure and muddy and therefore unfit for the dyeing of delicate colours. He wanted to settle matters once and for all and therefore agreed to accept £1750 in full and final satisfaction of all claims and demands on the part of himself, his heirs, assigns etc. A note mentions the insertion of a clause stating that nothing in the release shall have reference to any act or interference by the owners lessees or occupiers of the dyeworks and premises situate at the bottom of Mill Street in Leek now or late belonging to the devisees or representatives of the late Miss Ann Badnall nor prevent possible future action by Wardle against the owners etc. of those dyeworks. The schedule details the premises: 1700 square yards of land on the eastwardly end of the Lynney Meadow or Mill Lane Lynney and as much of the land covered by the river as lies opposite the said plot up to the middle of the river. And that dyehouse, skeining room, counting house and other buildings, steam engine, boiler and apparatus connected therewith on the plot of land late in the occupation of Messrs Wardle & Sons. And six houses erected by Samuel Tatton on part of the land, occupied by Widow Sales, William Birch, Samuel Toar, Charles Bishop, Joseph Mottershead, and William Meakin. Also 1 acre 3 rood 0perch of land on the westerly side of the road leading from Leek to the Abbey Green and commonly known as the Hencroft. formerly in the occupation of Richard Badnall since of Ralph Tatton then Thomas Clowes late of Samuel Tatton and now of Messers Wardle & Sons with the dyehouse and buildings thereon. Document was approved on Wardle's behalf on 6 December 1875. Page 89
REFERENCE 344 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /15PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Wardle; Hammersley; Challinor & Shaw. Hacker & Allen; DESCRIPTION Copy draft agreement, dated 6 January 1886, between the Leek Improvement Commissioners and Thomas Wardle, silk dyer, concerning the making and maintaining of a sewer. Hacker & Allen; Challinor & Shaw. States that prior to 1855 Leek Improvement Act sewage from Leek flowed directly or indirectly into the River Churnet. When the Act came into force, the Commissioners divided the Town into two drainage districts The South or No.1 and The North or No.2 and at the same time constructed a main sewer in each district. They entered into agreements with landowners near the sewer outfalls such that these owners agreed to take the sewage matter and use it to irrigate their fields. Additional duties were placed on the Commissioners with regard to sewers and drainage by the Rivers Pollution Prevention Act of 1876 and the Public Health Act of 1875. Wardle as owner of dyeworks and a print works on the banks of the River Churnet had discharged dyewater and sewage matter into the No.2 main sewer from both his works. The landowners who were using the outfall had complained the that dyewaters etc. from Wardle's and other dyeworks belonging to William Henry Hammersley diluted the sewage to such an extent that it was useless for irrigation. They refused to use it and all the sewage was allowed to flow into the River Churnet. The landowners also complained that the river was so polluted that it was a nuisance and a health hazard. The Sanitary Authority of Leek Union had threatened action against the Commissioners to cause them to abate the nuisance. The Commissioners contended that the action should be against Wardle and Hammersley. Wardle and Hammersley claimed that dyewaters and refuse discharged from their works was not deleterious and consisted on only innocuous discolouration and that they were therefore protected by the terms of the RPPAct 1876. To avoid litigation the parties came to an agreement. The Commissioners agreed to lay a new 18" diameter sewer near the existing No. 2 main sewer to carry away dyewaters from the dyeworks direct to the River Churnet. Wardle was to pay one third of the cost (not exceeding £150) of constructing the sewer and connecting it to his works. Hammersley and the Commissioners were to pay the remaining two thirds of the costs. Wardle was to pay one third of the annual maintenance costs not exceeding £1 per annum with the other part of the costs being born by the Commissioners and Hammersley. Protective clauses incorporated to cover possible action by riparian owners to prevent discharges into the river.
REFERENCE 345 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /16PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMES Hencroft;PERSONS Wardle; Hammersley; Kirkland; Partington; Leese; Clayton; DESCRIPTION Mr. Bernard Wardle's statement concerning the Ball Haye Brook 3 February 1899. Wardle referred to a previous letter concerning obstruction of a diversion of the Ball Haye Brook on the night of the 1st or 2nd February "presumably by Hammersley's watchman (Kirkland)". He said the consequences to Messrs Wardle & Co. might have been serious. " A cinder got into their Tank and in some way prevented the pump from working and supplying water to the Boiler. The Boiler was emptied and would have exploded from the heat of the furnace underneath if a fuse plug of lead which was melted by the heat of the furnace and caused the little water remaining in the Boiler to put the fire out. He also said that the Brook was diverted some 30 to 40 years before in order to irrigate the Hencroft. More than 17 years ago prior to their Manager Partington coming, the diversion was extended by pipes into Wardle's tank and the water was used for their engine instead of for agricultural purposes. The quantity of water diverted was increased some years ago when the flow in the Ball Haye Brook was much greater due, it is thought to the introduction of compensation water into the Brook by the Town Commissioners. The amount diverted has usually been about half the flow in the Brook. Diversion never disputed by Hammersleys until 1883/4 a very dry time when the River Churnet was so low there was insufficient water for the purposes of the mill. Mr. Hammersley who had purchased the mill is thought to have told the Miller (Leese) to stop the diversion of water onto the land and works. Repeated on several occasions over a 3 to 4 week period but as soon as the water was stopped our man Clayton unstopped it so that water was always supplied to the Engine works. At the end of that period rain came and the Brook was not diverted again until 31st January or the night before or after. Wardle then mention a gutter being " continued to the works 18 years ago" and that they subsequently piped it. About 1883/4 Wardle said his father had spoken to Hammersley who had apologised and said they would hear no more from him on that subject. Page 90
REFERENCE 346 LOCATION Trunk 1 Folder 5 /17PLACES Leek, Staffs;
FIELD NAMES Linney;PERSONS Gaunt; Bennett; Milner; Keates; Cruso; DESCRIPTION Copy agreement, dated 18 May 1844, between Mr. Richard Gaunt and Mrs.. Lucy Bennett of Leek, widow, concerning a culvert of sough across the Linneys in Leek, Staffs. Gaunt agreed that Lucy Bennett could make a sough across the upper end of the Linneys at the bottom of Mill Street in Leek so as to carry dyewash and liquids from a dyehouse and premises belonging to Lucy Bennett situated on the Southerly side of Mill Street and late occupied by Mr. William Milner, across the meadow into the River Churnet. Lucy was to pay an annual rent of £3 for the privilege. The agreement could be terminated by 3 months notice on either side. Geo Keates and William Milner were the witnesses.
REFERENCE 347 LOCATION Trunk 1 LoosePLACES Leek, Cheddleton, Staffs; Boden, Cheshire;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Keys; Beard; Bramwell; Fowler; Debank; Lowe; Cope; Challinor; DESCRIPTION Attested copy, dated 13 October 1781, of the bargain of sale of a bankrupts real estate by the Commissioners under a Commission of Bankruptcy awarded against William Key to The Assignees. A note states " Inrolled in his Majesty's High Court of Chancery the 28th day of January in the year of our Lord 1782 being first duly stamped according to the tenor of the statutes made in the reign of the late King William and Queen Mary and in the 17th year of his Majesty King George the Third Signed Thomas Brigstock. The acting commissioners were William Beard of Newcastle under Lyme, John Davenport of Ball Haye, Leek, Staffs., and Anthony Low of Chesterfield. They were all appointed under the Commission awarded against William Key of Leek, Button Merchant, Dealer and Chapman. Henry Fowler of Horton Hall and Simon Debank of Leek were The Assignees. Key had bought and sold silk and mohair and manufactured these into buttons and twist for many years. He was indebted to Simon Debank for £100 and upwards. All Debank has received in payment was a bond dated 29 September 1762 which bound Key to him in the sum of £400 conditional on the payment of £200 plus interest. Key was declared bankrupt on 22 August 1781. A meeting of creditors was held at the George Inn, Leek on 12 October 1781 at which the assignees were chosen. Keys was said to have been seized of property in Leek and in Cheddleton, Staffordshire and in Boden, Cheshire and elsewhere in the Kingdom, etc. The original was witnessed by William Challinor and Thomas Bramwell and the copy by Thomas Bramwell and James Cope. Page 91
REFERENCE 348 LOCATION Trunk 1 LoosePLACES Leek, Cheddleton, Staffs; Hartington, Derbyshire; Macclesfield, Cheshire;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Lucas; Daintry; Strangman; Bagnall; Atkinson; Fell; Fletcher; Ryles; Beswick; Barlow; Hippy; Sutton; Badnall; Fynney; Knight; Cantrell; Brough; Fox; Washington; Ford; Peach; Salt; Cooke; Myatt; Waller; Green; Davenport; Wadkin; West; Bampfyeld; ....... DESCRIPTION Attested copy conveyance and assignment from Mr. William Lucas to Mr. John Daintry and others of all his real and personal estates, dated 7 September 1784. The agreement was between William Lucas of Leek, Staffs, Button Merchant and his creditors (2) John Daintry, Ralph Bagnall and Hugh Ford all of Leek, Button Merchants, Joshua Strangman of Leek, Button Merchant, Thomas Sutton of Leek, Grocer, Thomas Cantrell of Hartington, Threadmaker, John Bagnall of the Rings, Cheddleton, John Barlow of Leek, Innholder, John Brough of Leek, Chapman, Joseph Cooke of Leek, Yeoman, William Washington and George Fox of Leek silk throwsters. The agreement conveyed all Lucas's real estates, stock in trade, book debts and all goods, chattels, personal estates and effects to John Daintry, Ralph Bagnall and Hugh Ford in trust. Lucas was, in return, to be free of all debts, attachments, arrests or suits and thus all those who had brought actions against him had to agree to a release of action. The property mentioned includes "all those two houses on Spout Street in Leek occupied now by William Yates, Glazier, and John Henshall, shopman to the said William Lucas with gardens, workshop, stable and rickyard thereto belonging. The agreement provided an option for larger creditors (single creditor owed more than £60 or two creditors jointly owed more than £100) to render the agreement void by not signing a release within 3 months. A meeting of creditors was to be called as soon as sufficient money had been raised to pay a dividend of 4shillings in the pound. A list of the signatories also indicates how much they were owed.. John Daintry £29:14s; Ralph Bagnall £14: 6s:0d; Hugh Ford £10: 4s )d; Joshua Strangman £4 :6s :2d; John Brough £20 : 11s : 10d; E. Bayley £3 : 18s : 6d; John Ryle £27 : 14s :0d; Joseph Badnall £78 :10s :6d; Ralph Waller £38:0s:0d; Geo. Fox £5 :10s :0d; Wm Washington £8 :14s :11d; Thomas Green £52 :10s:0d; Thomas Cantrell £44 :0s:0d; Joseph Myott £43 :17s: 9d; Sarah Myott £21 :0s:0d; Joseph Myott (for Blackamoor's Clubb) £21:0s:0d; Thomas Salt; Knight & Fynney £6:9s:8d; John Barlow 21 ; Sampson Ashes £38:14...; Sam Hornith £82: 6 ... Thomas Fletcher for self and other assignees of Samuel Peach £472 : 12s 6d; Richard Routh for Samuel Routh £127 :15s : 6d; Streatwells Briefit & Co. William Steele £15: 12 s: 8d; (For partner & self) Falkner Phillips £11 :18s :8d; John Wadkin £262 : 7s :5d; Joseph Barcroft; Thomas Smith £9 :6s :2d; Thomas Sutton £10:5s :2d; Mary Hippy £9 :3s :4d; John Bagnall £105 :0s :0d; John Bampfyeld £10 :6s :8d; E Davenport £4 :0s :0d; William Kynnersley & Son £ 4 :0s :0d; Francis Beswick £24 : 5s :10d; William Henshaw £31 :8s :2d; Henry West5 £106 :0s :0d; Henry West for Mary Frith £33 :0s :0d; Joshua Strangman for James Fell £418 :0s :0d; Joseph Lay for Thomas Clarke £10 :7s :6d; Thomas Atkinson £10 :10s :0d; Witnessed by John Gibson clerk to William Mills and sealed by Thomas Fletcher on behalf of the the assignees of the estate of Samuel Peach a bankrupt Copy examined, etc. by Henry Jones and Edward Ball clerks to Messrs Mills and Cruso of Leek, Staffs.
REFERENCE 349 LOCATION Trunk 1 LoosePLACES
FIELD NAMES Phoenix Croft; Hall Croft; Mould Croft; Ladyway Dale; Roundcroft; New Close; the Dole in the Eyes; Whitfield; Tofts Meadow;PERSONS Robinson; Bagnall; Fynney; Hall; Mould; Toft; Stonehewer; Slack; Read; Jackson; Condlyffe; Ridgeway; Bowman; Lucas; Simpson; Key; Holland; Oldfield; Watson; Rowse; Lockett; Grosvenor; Stonier; Osborn; Lees; Joel; Large; Cope; Boyer; Bullock; Johnson; DESCRIPTION Abstract of the title of John Bagnall to several messuages in Spout Street, Leek, Staffs. 7 September 1814 copy delivered to Mr. Killmister 8 September 1814 .Cruso, Leek. Title to property which was sold about this time to Samuel Lucas. Title deeds etc. mentioned date from the Will of Thomas Fynney of Leek dated 20 August 1707 to a settlement on the marriage of Ralph Bagnall and Ann Brindley dated 9 and 10th October 1782.
REFERENCE 350 LOCATION Trunk 4 Trunk 4 Box 12PLACES Leak, Cheadle, Staffs;
FIELD NAMESPERSONS Badnall; Yeomans; Mills; Thacker; DESCRIPTION Affidavit of debt in Chancery dated 18th July 1781. William Steele of Manchester, Chapman, stated that James Badnall of Leek, Staffs. and Henry Yeomans late of the same place but now of Cheadle, Staffs, Button Merchants and Co-partners against whom a Commission of Bankruptcy had lately been awarded owed him for £21 :5s :6d for goods sold and delivered. Page 92